Newbie Apple 4S Sprint user here. Have a basic question and some about Jailbreaking

Oct 14, 2011
Be Nice :)

Complete noob iPhone user here. Please help me out. :)
I have searched and found out a few things but I have a few more questions still.

I just bought the Sprint iPhone 4s. I have been reading up the last couple days but have a few basic questions.

1: The Sprint iPhone 4s does not have a Gps Navigation program with turn by turn and voice prompts correct? (If so can't find it)

I want to be able to use my 4s with "internet tethering" (mobile hotspot) for free.
The only way is if it is jailbroken correct?
I also want to be able to use 3rd party non Apple authorized hacks-applications-games etc (what ever is out there thats good)
Phone needs to be jailbroken corrcet?

Acoording to articals & threads when googling the 4s is not jailbroken yet correct?
If it is please let me know how, where etc.

When searching about jailbreaking what do I need to make sure it is right for my phone?
I would think it has to be for iPhone 4 with iOS 5 but does the "S" Make a bit of difference when searching? what about carrier specific?
Any other help and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Take a look at Mapquest's app in the app store. I do think they updated it with turn by turn. It's a freebie too, which is a nice perk.

iBoss

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
Try the GPS Drive App. This is an amazing turn by turn Navigation App! And if I'm not mistaken is 99¢ or at least it was way back then when I got it got my iPhone 3G!

webcodes

Aug 8, 2008
Don't be a goose, soon as you jailbreak you open yourself up to a world of malware, bots and all the bad crap that Android users have. Stay with the program brother, you'll be safer.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
The 4s is NOT jailbroken yet. This is because the iPhone 4 has a hardware jailbreak so it's pretty permanent as a tethered jailbreak. Only software jailbreaks are untethered. (Google the difference between tethered and untethered.)

The iPhone does not have a GPS program that comes with it that has turn-by-turn directions. However, there are MANY different options in the App Store. Some are free, just remember, you get what you pay for.

If you want to tether for "free" you will have to jailbreak and get an app called "MyWi" that costs $20. However, if you plan on relying heavily on tethering, just pay for it. It's the right thing to do and from what I'm hearing, AT&T is cracking down and can tell when you're tethering anyway and will "upgrade" your account for your convenience.

Jailbreaking is not carrier specific...it's all about iOS or the iPhone hardware.

Also...don't add to piracy. Get apps that Apple may not "approve" if you want, but don't go and get pirated apps...that's pathetic.

Modmyi.com is a GREAT resource for jailbreaking. I get most of my information from there, as well as some help when needed. There is a decent forum here as well.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with webcodes...jailbreaking is not a bad thing at all. It doesn't open you up to any of the things that he stated. Simply change your SSH password, or don't use SSH at all and you're fine. I've had my iPhone jailbroken since the 3G and it's worked flawlessly.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Don't be a goose, soon as you jailbreak you open yourself up to a world of malware, bots and all the bad crap that Android users have. Stay with the program brother, you'll be safer.
Your're confused. This is an iPhone forum....;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
1. Mapquest in the App Store. I've heard it's the best turn by turn GPS app that's free.
2. You can use MyWi for this.
3. Yes, you'll need to jailbreak for it.
4. The iPhone 4S jailbreak has not been released yet.
5. Yes, it's important to include the generation of the device when searching for an available jailbreak. You'll also want to make sure it's untethered (boots like a stock iPhone).