Newbie application essentials

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ikev

Nov 13, 2007
Please ignore my distinct lack of knowledge on the subject of third party applications for the iPhone but i have an excuse (from the uk, iday was only 3 5 days ago!). im putting my faith in this seemingly fountain of knowledge that is this forum and hoping you can suggest the essential third party applications an iPhone virgin must have? how do i go about getting these etc and does it affect the Apple warranty once i have? so many questions so little time but im hoping my new Apple friends can help! cheers!

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
It depends what you want to do honestly. There are a few 3rd party apps out now that are actually useful enough that's its worth hacking. Mine would be:

- MobileToDoList - a mobile task/to-do manager that is in active development
- iPhoneLockBox - a password/secret manager to store personal info natively
- Themes - the ability to customize your iPhone with different themes is nice
- Pushr - Upload pics taken with your iPhone camera directly to your Flickr account
- MobileCast - Download podcasts directly to your iPhone via WiFi/EDGE
- CrossWalk - NYC subway map and cross-st calc
- Apollo and/or MobileChat - native IM chat clients
- Sketches - fun and sometimes useful way to draw on iPhone, even use a camera pic as background too
- VNotes - Voice recording of notes, haven't used much but useful for quick reminders to yourself

Note I didn't include NES or the other games and other toys/stuff that's available since those in my opinion are not worth the effort.

IF all you're doing is hacking it for 3rd party apps it is incredibly easy to restore it to factory using iTunes (Restore) so while your warranty may be voided technically while you're hacked, it's easy to get the warranty back when you restore :D

ikev

Nov 13, 2007
thanks! yeah i agree with you on adding games and useless apps for the sake of it, think ill wait for Apple to confirm their approval of such applications. cheers anyway