Newbie having email issues

Jul 30, 2009
Hi all!
I have come across this lovely forum in the hope that someone can help me with my new iPhone Drama.

I have Windows Live mail on my PC with a POP3 email account. I am having issues with the emails from that account downloading to my iPhone regardless of if they have already been downloaded (or read and replied to for that matter!) to the PC!

Can anyone help!? I am a bit over having to delete them all off the iPhone every night.

Cheers,
Shell

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I have 2 hotmail and 1 Yahoo accounts and use Windows Live on my PC. I haven't had any problems. How did you setup the accounts on your phone?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The iPhone default for a POP server is to leave messages on the server even if deleted from the iPhone, while the default on the typical desktop email client is to remove them from the server once downloaded. Unfortunately, the iPhone apparently will not do that (theoretically to give the desktop mail client dibs on auto deleting it). However, you can at least get it to delete from server when you delete it from your iPhone inbox. Simply enter settings, mail, your account, then advanced settings. You can have the iPhone delete messages from the server either after 7 days or when you delete from your iPhone, but you'll need to keep in mind whether your full email client is on, and it could be absconding with emails before they get to your iPhone. I'd recommend setting up as IMAP, both in Windows Mail and iPhone if you can. Depending on who is the provider of your email service, it may already be supported. If the server name has pop or pop3 in it, try replacing that with mail or imap. This will make it possible to keep the mailbox sane; if you have spam rules going on in Windows Mail you won't interfere with how the iPhone handles the mail. That's how I have done most of my mail - my Mac filters spam from my imap accounts with rules I set up in Mail, and then I only get a notification sound when it's a legit email, both on the Mac and on the iPhone.

Edit: actually just re-read the post, your issue may be with Windows Mail's settings. While I'm not quite sure since it's been a while, that's in Tools, Options, Accounts, and in one of the tabs after opening the page for your account setup. If that's already set to delete after downloading, the POP3 server may have issues with concurrent connections.

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks for your replies! I have gone and changed my email to be on IMAP settings on both the iPhone and PC. That has worked to sync the two in terms of when something is read on the iPhone it appears that way on the PC and vice versa but i was actually hoping to not receive emails at all to my iPhone if my email program on the PC is open and downloading.

My businesss partner has a MAC and iPhone and has this working perfectly on a POP3 as we use the same email host so I am not sure what I or the addition of a PC is doing to make this not work for me! She can close her email program on her MAC and then have her iPhone kick in to receive her emails or she can turn on the MAC Mail and her iPhone wont be receiving the emails whilst that is running.

I hope that makes some kind of sense!
Shell

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Maybe the Mac is set up as POP3 and the iPhone is set as IMAP

fredf

Jul 5, 2009
this topic is of interest to me as well.
when I read my email on my macbook, they continue to appear as new emails on my iPhone (and vice versa). I want to be able to delete them when I read them and have them disappear everywhere.
In particular, though, when I 've read them on my computer I don't want to be bothered with them on my iPhone.

There is an option in settings on the iPhone. to 'delete from the server'. Do I want to say 'yes' to this or do something else?

thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
this topic is of interest to me as well.
when I read my email on my macbook, they continue to appear as new emails on my iPhone (and vice versa). I want to be able to delete them when I read them and have them disappear everywhere.
In particular, though, when I 've read them on my computer I don't want to be bothered with them on my iPhone.

There is an option in settings on the iPhone. to 'delete from the server'. Do I want to say 'yes' to this or do something else?

thanks
See if this is enabled on your mac. This setting will delete the message from the server when accessed from your mac and will not show up on the phone.
test.jpg

fredf

Jul 5, 2009
See if this is enabled on your mac. This setting will delete the message from the server when accessed from your mac and will not show up on the phone.
dTurner: that's great, but now I feel like a complete idiot. Where to I go on my mac to see these setting?
I went to my Hotmail account and looked under options and found a number of settings stuff but nothing about removing from the server.
Can you please direct me to exactly what to open?

And, should I do the same setting on the iPhone about removing from the server?

Sorry for being so dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
dTurner: that's great, but now I feel like a complete idiot. Where to I go on my mac to see these setting?
I went to my Hotmail account and looked under options and found a number of settings stuff but nothing about removing from the server.
Can you please direct me to exactly what to open?

And, should I do the same setting on the iPhone about removing from the server?

Sorry for being so dumb.
Yes to the bold. Didn't realize you were referring to Hotmail. I use mail on the mac and this is were that setting came from. If Hotmail offers no such setting, not sure how to solve this problem.

fredf

Jul 5, 2009
I'm using Hotmail on a Mac. I'm sure there must be a somewhere I can change the settings to remove the email from the server after I've deleted in my Inbox.

Anybody?