Newbie here - have only one main issue

Jul 30, 2008
Hi everyone - I've been lurking here for several weeks in anticipation of the launch of the iPhone 3G, gathering info and learning from the experts here. Bought my 16GB white baby on 7/12 and after a few hours of waiting and a few more hours of headaches with AT&T, I've been a very happy camper ever since. I'm a long-time user of various so-called smartphones, mose recently Windows Mobile based... used to be with AT&T/Cingular, but most recently was with Sprint... am actually very happy to be back with AT&T. Am LOVING almost everything about my new iPhone!

Sure, there's things I could do as a power user of a Windows Mobile device that I can't do with the iPhone, but everything else about the iPhone makes up for it.

The one issue I have, and it's a pretty big one, is that there's no way to block specific incoming numbers from calling me. Most cell phones have a way to do this to at least route them directly to voicemail, and there's several apps for many phones that you can download even more customizable ways to deal with such calls. But for the amazing iPhone? Nothing! I was stunned to find this out! After much research I found a couple of paid foreign 3rd party apps for jailbroken v1 iPhones, but that's it.

Until there's a solution, does anyone know how I can make or find a silent ringtone for my iPhone? Someone on the Apple board told me how to make one in Garage Band and load it through iTunes, but that didn't help me since I don't have Garage Band (yet)... I'm still stuck in PC land for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :laugh2:

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I would think, if youhave GarageBand, there would be a way to make a silent ring tone.....Or even through iTunes if you know of a song that has a 30 second gap in the song that you can select as a ring tone.

Anyone have experience with this?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Hi everyone - I've been lurking here for several weeks in anticipation of the launch of the iPhone 3G, gathering info and learning from the experts here. Bought my 16GB white baby on 7/12 and after a few hours of waiting and a few more hours of headaches with AT&T, I've been a very happy camper ever since. I'm a long-time user of various so-called smartphones, mose recently Windows Mobile based... used to be with AT&T/Cingular, but most recently was with Sprint... am actually very happy to be back with AT&T. Am LOVING almost everything about my new iPhone!

Sure, there's things I could do as a power user of a Windows Mobile device that I can't do with the iPhone, but everything else about the iPhone makes up for it.

The one issue I have, and it's a pretty big one, is that there's no way to block specific incoming numbers from calling me. Most cell phones have a way to do this to at least route them directly to voicemail, and there's several apps for many phones that you can download even more customizable ways to deal with such calls. But for the amazing iPhone? Nothing! I was stunned to find this out! After much research I found a couple of paid foreign 3rd party apps for jailbroken v1 iPhones, but that's it.

Until there's a solution, does anyone know how I can make or find a silent ringtone for my iPhone? Someone on the Apple board told me how to make one in Garage Band and load it through iTunes, but that didn't help me since I don't have Garage Band (yet)... I'm still stuck in PC land for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :laugh2:
I have read on here that you can do it through ATT. Some members on the forum have kids and some of them can restrict outgoing number as well as incoming numbers. As for iPhone application. Unless you JB, you won't be able to that YET. I do not know what is in the works or minds of the developers. Hope this helps.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I searched some other forums....and some people just take a 3-4 second snippit of a silent section in a song, and turn that into a ringtone.

INstructions on how to make a ringtone via iTunes:

1. Listen to your MP3 and decide what part of the track you want as your ringtone (30 seconds maximum). Note the play time (for example, I would like to use 0:43 to 1:05 as my ringtone).

2. Right click on the MP3 in iTunes. Select "Get Info." Select the "Options" tab. Make sure the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" boxes are checked and enter the times you have selected for your ringtone. Click "OK."

3. Right click on the MP3 again, and select "Convert Selection to AAC." iTunes will create a second track with the same title.

4. Click and Drag the new track onto your desktop. Delete the track from iTunes.

5. On your desktop, right click on the track and select "Properties." If the filename has ".m4a" at the end, just change it to ".m4r", if it just has the track name, you will need to click "Cancel," open up "My Computer," select "Tools" and then "Folder Options." From there, you will select the "View" tab and uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types." Then go back to the beginning of this step and change ".m4a" to ".m4r"

6. Now the rest is simple. Back in iTunes, go to "File">"Add File to Library." Select the track from your desktop and click "Open." This will put the track in the Ringtones section of your library.

7. Go into the iPhone section of your iTunes and your newly created ringtone should be in the ringtones section ready to be synced! It will appear where the rest of the ringtones are in your phone.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Oh, and welcome to EIC! I hope you find this place helpful. Feel free to join in the conversation around here.

Jul 30, 2008
I searched some other forums....and some people just take a 3-4 second snippit of a silent section in a song, and turn that into a ringtone.
Thanks Tex for the pointers... either what you said, or it sounds like I just need to find a silent mp3 somewhere and convert it.

And thanks for the welcome too. What's a Texas boy doing in Philly anyway? I'm a Texan my own self... DFW here.

Jul 30, 2008
I have read on here that you can do it through ATT. Some members on the forum have kids and some of them can restrict outgoing number as well as incoming numbers. As for iPhone application. Unless you JB, you won't be able to that YET. I do not know what is in the works or minds of the developers. Hope this helps.
That's "Smart Limits for Wireless" that you're talking about, I think. It's $5 a month, and while I might actually consider that, you have to have a compatible phone, supposedly... and initially it said it wasn't compatible with any iPhone. Now when you click on the compatible phones list, it actually lists Apple iPhone 8GB. Why in hades it would be compatible with the 8GB and not the 16GB makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but everyone at AT&T and everyone in their forums insists it's still not compatible with any iPhone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you jailbreak your iPhone, there is an application that can block incoming calls and texts from specified numbers. Also, you can have AT&T block them for you. Just give them a call.

I attached a silent ringtone to my post. Just click "Silent.m4r.zip" down below and it'll download. Unzip and drag it into iTunes.

Attachments

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Thanks, Linc.

I might load this up...even though I currently do not have anyone I am screening calls from.

Jul 30, 2008
If you jailbreak your iPhone, there is an application that can block incoming calls and texts from specified numbers. Also, you can have AT&T block them for you. Just give them a call.

I attached a silent ringtone to my post. Just click "Silent.m4r.zip" down below and it'll download. Unzip and drag it into iTunes.
John, you ROCK, sir! Thanks ever so much!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Thanks Tex for the pointers... either what you said, or it sounds like I just need to find a silent mp3 somewhere and convert it.

And thanks for the welcome too. What's a Texas boy doing in Philly anyway? I'm a Texan my own self... DFW here.
No problem.

A quick explanation: A job brought me out this way....and now keeps me here. But, we've made a lot of friends up this way that really have made living here a lot of fun. I still miss BBQ and TexMex,....You have NO idea how much the general food up here lacks that certain......uniqueness.