Newbie: How do I...

UrennieK

May 20, 2008
Is there anyway for me to use all the features on the iPhone but not use it as a phone? Here is my situation... I currently have a contract through Verizon and it won't end till August but in the mean time I have an iPhone that I would like use now for the iTunes, safari, etc.

Is there anyway this can be done? HELP!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Is there anyway for me to use all the features on the iPhone but not use it as a phone? Here is my situation... I currently have a contract through Verizon and it won't end till August but in the mean time I have an iPhone that I would like use now for the iTunes, safari, etc.

Is there anyway this can be done? HELP!
If you bought your iPhone jailbroken and unlocked, you have nothing to worry about. You can put in a pre-paid SIM card and sign up for T-Zone data package.

If you bought your iPhone out of the box, you will need your AT&T account to activate the iPhone. Once activated, however, you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone and then cancel your AT&T contract. If all you want to do is use your iPhone as an iPod Touch, you can remove your SIM card (don't lose it, though) after you activate, and cancel your AT&T contract.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
if your iPhone isn't already activated, you could also use ziPhone (or another similar application, though i've only used ziPhone and can only speak to that) to activate it and then iTunes should only prompt you to name it and associate it with your library. you can then load the music and data you want onto it and use it via wifi without needing a SIM card at all (it will indeed function fully without a SIM card). good luck!

UrennieK

May 20, 2008
Thanks to both Eragon and MacGirl... here is another thing I thought of... I have an old AT&T prepaid phone (go phone I think) can I take the sim out of that phone and put it in my iPhone?

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Thanks to both Eragon and MacGirl... here is another thing I thought of... I have an old AT&T prepaid phone (go phone I think) can I take the sim out of that phone and put it in my iPhone?
If it is unlocked then yes you, can.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
burniksapwet is correct, but it also depends on how old that SIM card is. i think the iPhones only work with the newer SIM cards (mine is labeled as 3G, even though the iPhone isn't 3G-compatible yet). if it doesn't work, you may want to go to an AT&T store and ask for a newer replacement SIM card...

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
burniksapwet is correct, but it also depends on how old that SIM card is. i think the iPhones only work with the newer SIM cards (mine is labeled as 3G, even though the iPhone isn't 3G-compatible yet). if it doesn't work, you may want to go to an AT&T store and ask for a newer replacement SIM card...
Good thing you mentioned this. I remember when it still used to be cingular that they sent out a mass text message saying that they are upgrading all sim cards. Everyone would just have to go to a corporate store and replace the old one with the new one.