newbie in need of advice before I buy!

Jan 28, 2008
Hi,

I am sorry as I am sure you may have answered this quesion 100 times before, but I am looking to buy iPhone in the UK sim free but I don't really know that much about it at the moment or what I shoudl be looking out for!

I am contracted to o2 at the moment for mins, text and data. I am hoping that I can simply transfer my sim into a sim free phone but appreciate that Apple/o2 have not made this as easy as it could be

I have seen places like iPhoneunlockuk.com but I have read threads that they are simply charging for nothing?... I am based in London so I am looking for a phone and anything else I need to get me started

Also, would I simply access the Edge network wiht my sim?

Thanks in advance... any advice welcome and appreciated

Thanks
Matt

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
IF you are already an O2 customer, you don't need a SIM unlock. I'm not sure what your plan is compared to the basic iPhone plan, but I am sure it's probably comparible, and possibly, could save you money moving to an iPhone. The other thing is that if you can get a phone that can be unlocked ( which might be really difficult right now, since 1.1.2 out of the box Firmware and 1.1.3 firmware have yet to really be unlocked and is what you would be getting at the store) and you update to the later firmware, you could brick the phone and render it unusable.
You will have to use the SIM that comes with the iPhone. It's a simple matter of transfering your number and starting a new contract.
Here in the States, my original plan was for 450 peak minutes, 5000 evening and weekend minutes, 5 MB of data, and 500 text. My iPhone plan is the same amount every month, but instead I get unlimited data ( kind of a necessity with the iPhone) and 200 text. I pay the same price, but lost 300 text and no MMS, but have unlimited access to the internet from just about whenever and where ever I need it.

That all being said, you can buy an unlocked iPhone in France, I believe, BUT the activation might be restricted to France. (don't ask me how that's possible.) In any case, I'm sure with a little more research that you will be able to find what you need.

Sorry if this is all over the place.. I just got to work and haven't gotten enough coffee in my system yet.

Jan 28, 2008
Unfortunately I am tied in for another 11 months on my contract. I also negotiated a pretty good contract when I took it out so it is far better than anythign they are offering with the iPhone 18 month contracts on o2 so that is why I was looking to buy an unlocked phone with older formware and transfer my sim card

I see there are a number of sellers online that will supply handset. Are they a waste of time or are there 'hacks' that will get roudn the issues?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, starting a contract with o2 for the iPhone would over-ride your current contract, so that's not really a problem, but if you are getting a better deal already, I'm not sure what to tell you except that you are probably going to need to search ebay and craigslist really hard for a 1.1.1 iPhone that's in great condition and unlocked. Otherwise, if you really want one, you will have to bite the bullet and convert.
On the otherhand, the SDK is going to be release in a week or 2, and that might eliminate the possibility for an unlocked phone.