Newbie, needs help on ringtone and text sounds

Sash

Jun 26, 2009
okay when i get a text it wont make a sound and i have the volume up. and can you set a ringtone as a sms ?

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Settings > Sounds > New Text Message - choose a tone.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
You can only choose from the text alerts provided by Apple for SMS or email alerts. If you searth the forum for changing SMS alerts there are ways to add your own but it isn't a really simple process. You can't just set a ringtone as an alert. If you have alerts set and they aren't working try a reboot. Small glitches happen occasionally.

Adman21

Jul 29, 2009
I am having this problem as well. My phone rings just fine but wont make a text preview sound, wont make the lock sound and only alerts me via vib when I get a text. What to do?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I am having this problem as well. My phone rings just fine but wont make a text preview sound, wont make the lock sound and only alerts me via vib when I get a text. What to do?
It may sound stupid, but do you have the ringer switch off? Check your settings under Sounds and make sure you have an audible (to you) sound selected and ensure the volume on your phone is up. Try rebooting the iPhone also.

Let us know.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ive experienced this once before, I think it may be a little bug in 3.0. Just reboot and you should be fine.

That is of course, you have all relevant volumes and sounds on! ;)