NEWBIE please help.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

xcuter

Oct 20, 2007
Hello everyone. I just bought an 8GB iPhone. It has version 1.0.2 on it. I have an AT&T sim already. Do i just put in or do i need to do anything. I heard if i do that they will automatically upgrade my plan for another 2 years. Is there a way to just use my old sim? I do not need the data plan.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hello everyone. I just bought an 8GB iPhone. It has version 1.0.2 on it. I have an AT&T sim already. Do i just put in or do i need to do anything. I heard if i do that they will automatically upgrade my plan for another 2 years. Is there a way to just use my old sim? I do not need the data plan.
I'm almost sure that the only sim you can use is the one that came with it, if you plan not to hack it. You could also if you want to go through the whole hacking thing, use the AnySim program. If you use the phone on AT&T the 20.00 data plan is mandatory. You didn't specify if you were going to unlock and go to T-Mobile...M

xcuter

Oct 20, 2007
I'm almost sure that the only sim you can use is the one that came with it, if you plan not to hack it. You could also if you want to go through the whole hacking thing, use the AnySim program. If you use the phone on AT&T the 20.00 data plan is mandatory. You didn't specify if you were going to unlock and go to T-Mobile...M
I said i wanted to use my AT&T sim!. So should i unlock it to use my sim without having to use their data plan?

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I said i wanted to use my AT&T sim!. So should i unlock it to use my sim without having to use their data plan?
Just use the SIM that came with the phone. iTunes will walk you through porting your phone number to that SIM.

Don't bother with any hacking.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Some say that the all the features may not work correctly if unlocked. I also think, since AT&T also details all your data usage. AT&T will see what you are doing. Also, the iPhone accesses data constantly on it's own to update certain features. Your best bet is, just bite the bullet (if you plan to use AT&T) and pay the 20.00 for data. With no data plan and the phone constantly accessing data. You are going to get a SUPER SIZED, bill. You will be paying by the KB at a premium rate, instead of unlimited for 20.00 which also includes 200 TXT Msgs...M

H

Hayesimus

what gadget junkie? no nintendo? or supernintendo? or xbox 360? or gameboy? what gives? lol

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It's fairly simple. Unless you plan to unlock your phone using one of the various methods available (which btw will void your warranty and cause all sorts of headaches with the future updates) you will have to activate your phone through AT&T using the SIM card that came with the phone. You will have to add the iPhone data plan and extend your contract for 2 years.

H

Hayesimus

haha. well i'm no game junkie but i just enjoy playing on easy. lol i wish i wish i wish i still had my regular nintendo! :S i can't finda it anymore however.

H

Hayesimus

yeah i bet. but i just wish i still had mine. sentimental value and whatnot lol. i'm gonna look for it tomorrow morning. i hope i brought it with me when i moved in. i'd hate to think i left it at my mom's.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
yeah i bet. but i just wish i still had mine. sentimental value and whatnot lol. i'm gonna look for it tomorrow morning. i hope i brought it with me when i moved in. i'd hate to think i left it at my mom's.
Good luck on you search, and hey, if you don't find it. You at least have the memories. Did you ever think back then, you would see technology such as the iPhone? Time is moving, quickly...M

H

Hayesimus

yeah it is. i remember when we were all impressed with color screens on cellphones! now look!