Newbie question! Jailbreak vs. Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ajhagerman, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ajhagerman

ajhagerman New Member

I searched and searched, but couldnt find the answer I wanted. I plan on getting a iPhone this weekend. My question is, whats the difference between jailbreak and unlocked?

Drew

2. gcvt

gcvt Zealot
    Gold

Jailbreaking allows you to install 3rd party applications, customize graphics, sounds, etc. Unlocking allows you to use the phone on networks other than AT&T.

3. themanofthedark

themanofthedark New Member
    Gold

not really a Newfie question

jailbreaking is basically the unlocking of the firmware to force the phone to allow 3rd party applications.

Unlocking, however is a process for now impossible to achieve on the iPhone without jailbreaking as it requires a third party app to be loaded to the phone.

Jailbreak + not AT&T sim = inoperational

Jailbreak + anySIM + non AT&T sim = perfectly working phone.

4. ajhagerman

ajhagerman New Member

thanks for the response. Can you Jailbreak without unlocking? I have no need to use it on other networks.

5. ajhagerman

ajhagerman New Member

Okay, confused a little. I'm buying the phone from AT&T, plan on using it on that network...the idea of 3rd party apps and customs ring tones is pretty much what Im after. Is this possible with a new out of the box phone? Do I need software to jailbreak a phone?

6. KNK

KNK New Member

First of all if you just go out and buy the iPhone today it will be the 1.1.2 OBT, which at this time cannot be unlocked.

You can jailbreak the phone no problem. You can also restore it to its original state. So go for it.

Also welcome to the EIC forum.:)

7. ajhagerman

ajhagerman New Member

okay cool, that will be my plan then...I have no need to unlock it. I believe I saw a post with instructions to jailbreak so I will look at that this weekend.

8. KNK

KNK New Member

Jailbreaking does not cost anything.

Here is the link to the jailbreak here

9. jnk1991

jnk1991 New Member

hi,
    im just wandering if u could tell the difference between a jailbreak-ed iPhone and an officially unlocked iPhone? is there a way to jailbreak the iPhone, but not install other apps on it (eg. installer, cydia, etc.) ? jailbreaking with winpwn 2.xxx thx

10. Cusca

Cusca Member
    Bronze

a jaibraked iPhone means that you can install unoficial applications on your phone, and a unlocked iPhone means that you can use a carrier that does not work with Apple, and yes you can jailbrake your phone and not installing anything but there is no point in doing that
    but i think you have to be jailbroken now in order to unlock, i don`t know for sure, i`m still on 1.1.4 and won`t update until a more stable version of the fw

11. jnk1991

jnk1991 New Member

thanks cusca,
    im planning to sell my iPhone 3G to a friend. His a lil bit paranoid about illegal software on his phone. although i tried explaining it to him that its totally safe and much more useful with the jailbroken system. and im locked to an Australian service provider, OPTUS. thus, what i plan to do is jailbreak the thing, just to unlock it, and not install any applications.

will the jailbreak software make any modifications we don't know? like.. changing the Apple logo or pop ups of "credits of the ppl who hacked the iPhone"?

12. Cusca

Cusca Member
    Bronze

dude, jailbraking is totaly safe, i have a jailbroke iPhone since jailbraking came out and there are no such kind of problems,if something goes wrong with the phone you can always restore and you are back on track with no problems
    dude, this is not windows:)

13. edoras

edoras New Member

I have bought a 3G iPhone with a turbo sim.
    Does it mean that its "unlock" but not "jailbroken"?
    When I tried at the shop (in Singapore), it has intermittent problems connecting to the 3G network.
    Now, I'm back in Malaysia...the iPhone can't even connect to my Celcom network!
    Is it the firmware 2.0.1 problem?
    Can I upgrade to 2.0.2 while still using my old turbo sim?

Please help.... Thanks...

14. Cusca

Cusca Member
    Bronze

it`s neither unlocked or jailbroken how it should be, turbosim is a hardware unlock, get rid of it, and unlock your phone with winpwn

15. edoras

edoras New Member

The problem which I have now is I'm unable to eject my simcard + turbosim. It seems the pin which I poked into the pinhole is unable to eject the sim...

winpwn does BOTH "unlock" AND "jailbreak"?

16. Cusca

Cusca Member
    Bronze

that is because of the turbosim, that and the sim card jamed in the sim tray, try different ways to get it out, but be careful so you won`t brake anything, and yes, winpwn unlocks and jailbrakes there are a lot of guides about it, browse the forum you will find a lot of info

17. edoras

edoras New Member

18. Cusca

Cusca Member
    Bronze

no problem dude, good luck, and if you have any other problems or question don`t hesitate to ask

19. edoras

edoras New Member

One more question... ok I have read that wnpwnage will unlock and jailbreak but I read somewhere that MAC version of pwnage only jailbreak but cannot unlock.... Is this true?

20. boslan

boslan New Member
    Bronze

Woah woah woah, I thought right now it is impossible to unlock the iPhone 3g.

The guys who responded to my thread.

Said it's impossible as of now, but Cusca, you say you can unlock with winpwn? Are you sure?

#20 boslan, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014