Newbie question! Jailbreak vs. Unlock?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 10, 2008
I searched and searched, but couldnt find the answer I wanted. I plan on getting a iPhone this weekend. My question is, whats the difference between jailbreak and unlocked?

Drew

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Jailbreaking allows you to install 3rd party applications, customize graphics, sounds, etc. Unlocking allows you to use the phone on networks other than AT&T.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I searched and searched, but couldnt find the answer I wanted. I plan on getting a iPhone this weekend. My question is, whats the difference between jailbreak and unlocked?

Drew
not really a Newfie question

jailbreaking is basically the unlocking of the firmware to force the phone to allow 3rd party applications.

Unlocking, however is a process for now impossible to achieve on the iPhone without jailbreaking as it requires a third party app to be loaded to the phone.

Jailbreak + not AT&T sim = inoperational

Jailbreak + anySIM + non AT&T sim = perfectly working phone.

Jan 10, 2008
Okay, confused a little. I'm buying the phone from AT&T, plan on using it on that network...the idea of 3rd party apps and customs ring tones is pretty much what Im after. Is this possible with a new out of the box phone? Do I need software to jailbreak a phone?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
thanks for the response. Can you Jailbreak without unlocking? I have no need to use it on other networks.
First of all if you just go out and buy the iPhone today it will be the 1.1.2 OBT, which at this time cannot be unlocked.

You can jailbreak the phone no problem. You can also restore it to its original state. So go for it.

Also welcome to the EIC forum.:)

Jan 10, 2008
okay cool, that will be my plan then...I have no need to unlock it. I believe I saw a post with instructions to jailbreak so I will look at that this weekend.

jnk1991

Aug 12, 2008
hi,
im just wandering if u could tell the difference between a jailbreak-ed iPhone and an officially unlocked iPhone? is there a way to jailbreak the iPhone, but not install other apps on it (eg. installer, cydia, etc.) ? jailbreaking with winpwn 2.xxx thx

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
a jaibraked iPhone means that you can install unoficial applications on your phone, and a unlocked iPhone means that you can use a carrier that does not work with Apple, and yes you can jailbrake your phone and not installing anything but there is no point in doing that
but i think you have to be jailbroken now in order to unlock, i don`t know for sure, i`m still on 1.1.4 and won`t update until a more stable version of the fw

jnk1991

Aug 12, 2008
thanks cusca,
im planning to sell my iPhone 3G to a friend. His a lil bit paranoid about illegal software on his phone. although i tried explaining it to him that its totally safe and much more useful with the jailbroken system. and im locked to an Australian service provider, OPTUS. thus, what i plan to do is jailbreak the thing, just to unlock it, and not install any applications.

will the jailbreak software make any modifications we don't know? like.. changing the Apple logo or pop ups of "credits of the ppl who hacked the iPhone"?

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
dude, jailbraking is totaly safe, i have a jailbroke iPhone since jailbraking came out and there are no such kind of problems,if something goes wrong with the phone you can always restore and you are back on track with no problems
will the jailbreak software make any modifications we don't know? like.. changing the Apple logo or pop ups of "credits of the ppl who hacked the iPhone"?
dude, this is not windows:)

edoras

Jan 6, 2008
I have bought a 3G iPhone with a turbo sim.
Does it mean that its "unlock" but not "jailbroken"?
When I tried at the shop (in Singapore), it has intermittent problems connecting to the 3G network.
Now, I'm back in Malaysia...the iPhone can't even connect to my Celcom network!
Is it the firmware 2.0.1 problem?
Can I upgrade to 2.0.2 while still using my old turbo sim?

Please help.... Thanks...

edoras

Jan 6, 2008
The problem which I have now is I'm unable to eject my simcard + turbosim. It seems the pin which I poked into the pinhole is unable to eject the sim...

winpwn does BOTH "unlock" AND "jailbreak"?

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
that is because of the turbosim, that and the sim card jamed in the sim tray, try different ways to get it out, but be careful so you won`t brake anything, and yes, winpwn unlocks and jailbrakes there are a lot of guides about it, browse the forum you will find a lot of info

edoras

Jan 6, 2008
One more question... ok I have read that wnpwnage will unlock and jailbreak but I read somewhere that MAC version of pwnage only jailbreak but cannot unlock.... Is this true?

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Woah woah woah, I thought right now it is impossible to unlock the iPhone 3g.

The guys who responded to my thread.

Said it's impossible as of now, but Cusca, you say you can unlock with winpwn? Are you sure?

Last edited by a moderator: