Newbie questions... a lot of different ones.

Oct 31, 2008
Ok, so I jb'd my iPhone today and have been playing around with it. Love it. Took only 5 minutes with QuickPWN. I found some cool themes in Cydia but want to change some individual elements. I know this has to be done by changing files in the phone. Problem is I am not sure how to do this. I don't have wifi at home and run a 64bit Vista system. Any ideas or links to a good how to? I've heard of WinSCP and have it dl'd but haven't done anything with it.

Also, there are so many sites for custom themes not avaliable on Cydia. If I dl the .zip's I add them to my phone via a the above method right? Sorry, I'm still new to this.

I'm also jbing my friends iPhone tomorrow and she wants a full Harry Potter theme. Silly, I know but thats what she wants. Does anyone know where I can find one? With battery, sounds, icons, and the like.

There was a site that I found that listed a lot of Installer sources, but I seem to have wiped my bookmark of it. Can anyone link for me?

Basically, any help for a beginner mod is appreciated. Links to guides, tutorials, or whatnot is enough. Once I get pointed in the right direction I'm usually ok. I'll be around here for a while I think!;)

Thanks in advance!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ok, so I jb'd my iPhone today and have been playing around with it. Love it. Took only 5 minutes with QuickPWN. I found some cool themes in Cydia but want to change some individual elements. I know this has to be done by changing files in the phone. Problem is I am not sure how to do this. I don't have wifi at home and run a 64bit Vista system. Any ideas or links to a good how to? I've heard of WinSCP and have it dl'd but haven't done anything with it.

Also, there are so many sites for custom themes not avaliable on Cydia. If I dl the .zip's I add them to my phone via a the above method right? Sorry, I'm still new to this.
since you don't have wifi, you will need to create an "ad hoc" wireless connection between your iPhone and computer. Here are good instructions for that. Once that is done, open winscp. To open a connection to your iPhone type your iPhone's ip address as the "server", "root" as the username, and "alpine" as the password. Then you should be able to drag and drop files wherever you like. And, yes, this is how you add themes to your ihone without cydia. You need to put them in the folder where winterboard keeps its themes (can't recall where that is right now).

There was a site that I found that listed a lot of Installer sources, but I seem to have wiped my bookmark of it. Can anyone link for me?
well, installer has kinda fallen by the wayside. Cydia is the main "installer" these days. As for sources to add, i'm sure someone will be able to post more than i could ever come up with.

Oct 31, 2008
Thank you!

since you don't have wifi, you will need to create an "ad hoc" wireless connection between your iPhone and computer. Here are good instructions for that. Once that is done, open winscp. To open a connection to your iPhone type your iPhone's ip address as the "server", "root" as the username, and "alpine" as the password. Then you should be able to drag and drop files wherever you like. And, yes, this is how you add themes to your ihone without cydia. You need to put them in the folder where winterboard keeps its themes (can't recall where that is right now).

well, installer has kinda fallen by the wayside. Cydia is the main "installer" these days. As for sources to add, i'm sure someone will be able to post more than i could ever come up with.
Thank you so much! I have WinSCP up and running! I knew that installer was kind of "old school" right now with Cydia bursting with new apps and themes but I just wanted to cover all of my bases to see everything that is avaliable.

I think winterboard keeps the themes in /Library/Themes/ At lease that's where I found them. But it's a shortcut to a much longer path. I chose the explorer style drag and drop for WinSCP. Works well.