Newbie's Unusual Questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

athreya

Jun 30, 2007
1. Its just a GSM device-why cant it be unlocked?

2. Can one use any voip on it via wifi like Gizmo Project, Skype etc?

3. If one buys an iPhone but does not activate it on ATT can i still use the other features and Wifi based telephony? Can the iPhone be used without the ATT?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
1. Its just a GSM device-why cant it be unlocked?

2. Can one use any voip on it via wifi like Gizmo Project, Skype etc?

3. If one buys an iPhone but does not activate it on ATT can i still use the other features and Wifi based telephony? Can the iPhone be used without the ATT?
1. That's how the theory goes.

2. Not at the present moment.

3. No. You must activate the phone to use any of the features.

athreya

Jun 30, 2007
1. That's how the theory goes.

2. Not at the present moment.

3. No. You must activate the phone to use any of the features.
thanks,its technically impossible to not unlock a GSM device. im surprised that i cant use it as an ipod and with wifi without activating it? that sounds strange

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
its technically impossible to not unlock a GSM device.\
I think you actually have a triple negative going there. "impossible to not unlock" I would have to say it IS possible to not unlock it. It is also possible to not lock it. It could be impossible to unlock. It could also be possible to unlock. But, "impossible to not unlock?" That just seems questionable just in the structure of the argument.

That said, I REALLY hope someone can unlock this so I can use it in China.

athreya

Jun 30, 2007
I think you actually have a triple negative going there. "impossible to not unlock" I would have to say it IS possible to not unlock it. It is also possible to not lock it. It could be impossible to unlock. It could also be possible to unlock. But, "impossible to not unlock?" That just seems questionable just in the structure of the argument.

That said, I REALLY hope someone can unlock this so I can use it in China.
actually its not. i said it is technically impossible to be NOT able to unlock any GSM device...

can it be used as ipod without activation?