Newest Jailbreak not ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Mrallank59, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

This is the first time I have jail broken my iPhone, and I wasn't very impressed with what I could do. 80% of the stuff in winter board do nothing. I've been able able to add an icon to the dock.
    Add a 5th column and Change the carrier name. I'm afraid to buy an app for fear that most of it won't work. A friend also mentioned to me that this break int as good the 6. I used Evasion. Has any one one had better luck? Thanks, y'all

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't used Winterboard for a couple years. If you want to theme, you have to be careful that the theme was written for iOS 7 or updated for it. This is the case with all major firmware updates as the file names, locations, etc. change.

I've had a good experience with this jailbreak. Most of the apps and tweaks that I use have been updated for iOS 7 now that the jailbreak has been out for about six weeks. The app descriptions list if they are compatible with iOS 7 so you don't have to research it or waste money.

3. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Europa. I'll try to see if some of the stuff I've downloaded but doesn't do anything isn't written for ios7 and then remove them.

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

These are some of my installed tweaks:

Shrink-ok
    Barrel-ok
    ayecon-ok
    Gridlock 2.0-ok
    iFile-ok
    Infinidock-ok
    moreicons-ok
    Pkgbackup-ok
    ProTubeHD-ok
    StatusHUD 2-ok
    Bold-ok
    Zeppelin-ok
    Folder Enhancer-ok
    Springtomize-ok
    hiddensettings7-ok

Everything's working as expected. Winterboard is installed yet the only thing I've managed to get working is ayecon for iOS 7. (perhaps that's the only theme I have that's been updated though).

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This jailbreak had a slow start, but it's great now.

6. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Wow, I don't know what I must be doing or not doing. I noticed you even have barrel. That's a paid app. When I see some thing it want I hit install. Then respring or return to cydia then I'll go to my phones screens and NOTHING.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That has the potential to cause problems. They almost always say "iOS 7 compatible" if they have been updated, so be sure to look for that. If not, check the update listing. If it hasn't been updated since iOS came out, don't install it.

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I love my JB so much, I did not even update to iOS 7 until this version of evasi0n was released a few weeks ago. As has been said, it was a bit of a slow start, but I've got my iPhone 5 tweaked out to my satisfaction now. Stable as any JB I've experienced in the past....

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the jailbreaks themselves are always stable. The degree of instability depends on how cautious you are and what you install. Checking compatibility beforehand, being conservative with the amount of apps/tweaks you use and avoiding batch installs will maximize stability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A lot of these tweaks don't have icons. Some do have settings that are available in your iPhone's Settings app.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I find this jailbreak more stable than stock iOS 7.0.4. :)

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think he was referring to themes that didn't apply since they aren't compatible with iOS 7.

13. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Some one said something about restoring their phone first. Then JB ing it. So, I restored my phone. Now the JB is off. Now maybe I can re break it and maybe all the stuff that didn't work will now work. Any advise Europa, and Napoleon

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just proceed carefuly. Hopefully it'll go better for you this time.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Check compatibility before installations. If it isn't listed under the app details, you can check the recent updates for the app, Google it or ask here. Avoid WinterBoard and themes. Themes are the most likely to cause problems. If you really want to theme, only use what you are sure will work. Most tweaks and apps have been updated, but very few themes have. Go slowly and only install one or two things at a time so you can check to see how they run for a while. The method makes it easier to identify culprits as sometimes two apps are compatible with iOS 7, but not compatible with each other.

16. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks, I just installed the new update. Backed up my phone. Restored it then did this newest jailbreak. I think some things I download will take effect immediately, while others I have to access from my settings to make them do whatever they do. I'm not real sure what winter board does for me. I think that if I don't have winter board, I don't have the 5 icon dock Maybe I'm wrong. I remember Europa saying she doesn't use winter board. I can't seem to get the 5 icon column. I have fake carrier and alkaline. That one just changes the color of my battery icon. I think I'm developing a better grasp of using cydia, but I'm still way behind the curve. The things on the bottom of my phone... Add ons Sources, packages and changes
    How and when do I use or not use these things. For now, I'm only downloading free stuff until I know what I'm doing. I don't want to pay for something only find I don't know how to make it work.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need Winterboard for a five icon dock. There are a few paid options like Infinidock and Springtomize 3 and also a free option. The standard Five Icon Dock tweak hasn't been updated for iOS 7 yet, so it only has partial compatibility and the icons overlap, but Five Icon Dock Modiki is compatible with iOS 7. You'll need to add this repo first: http://kindadev.com/apt/

Let me know if you want to go with the free option and need directions for adding the source/repo.
    image.jpg

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you know if the Five Icon Dock Modiki will continue to be updated? I didn't realize that there was a working one, that's awesome. Thanks. :)

They also have a PasswordPilot Modiki. Awesome!

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hmm, I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball. I'll let you know after I find it. :D

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thanks. Please do. :)