Newest NES release supposedly allows A+B to be pushed Simultaneously...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Here are the release notes for 1.3.2:

1.3.2 [nervegas] Allow A & B to be simultaneously pressed
NOTE: Only two buttons can be pressed at a time per Apple
Rewrote save state / wiring routines for better compatibility
Added mapper state hooks for seamless mapper state save
NOTE: Saved games from prior versions are incompatible
When auto-frameskip, set default skip to 1 when restoring
Suspend emulator when changing orientation to avoid crashing
Fixed Game Genie code entry

It says you can push them simultaneously, but I can't get it to do that when I play. Has anyone gotten it to work? Also, what does "Only two buttons can be pressed at a time per Apple" mean? Maybe he was drunk when he wrote these release notes lol

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
Here are the release notes for 1.3.2:

1.3.2 [nervegas] Allow A & B to be simultaneously pressed
NOTE: Only two buttons can be pressed at a time per Apple
Rewrote save state / wiring routines for better compatibility
Added mapper state hooks for seamless mapper state save
NOTE: Saved games from prior versions are incompatible
When auto-frameskip, set default skip to 1 when restoring
Suspend emulator when changing orientation to avoid crashing
Fixed Game Genie code entry

It says you can push them simultaneously, but I can't get it to do that when I play. Has anyone gotten it to work? Also, what does "Only two buttons can be pressed at a time per Apple" mean? Maybe he was drunk when he wrote these release notes lol
Some Button require to be pressed at the same time ( A+B ) for jumping in the game such as double dragon. but it can be used for other things as well...

iPat

Sep 14, 2007
Only two buttons can be pressed at the same time per Apple.

I believe this has to do with the multi touch interface. In games like Mario, where holding B makes you run faster, you can now effectively jump while running, something I have not been successful with. Now, with this in mind, two at a time means A + B, soo you can't press Right AND A + B.....
I think.......

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Only two buttons can be pressed at the same time per Apple.

I believe this has to do with the multi touch interface. In games like Mario, where holding B makes you run faster, you can now effectively jump while running, something I have not been successful with. Now, with this in mind, two at a time means A + B, soo you can't press Right AND A + B.....
I think.......
Yeah that's what I thought too. I just wonder what he meant by "the same time per Apple". Maybe he meant "the same time, because the software that Apple designed for the iPhone would never allow it".

Nevertheless, has anyone gotten it to work? I have tried pushing just the buttons A and B at the same time and it only does one, not two.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I just test SMB 3 and unless I am crazy I was able to hold down "right" and "B" and while running (fast) was able to jump with "A" (without releasing "B").

For sure I was able to jump higher and further than I was able to before.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
To add to this, I was able to get 5000 points on the Flagpole in Super Mario bros. as the tiny Mario. I did this on my first try and it was pure muscle memory, I totally forgot to pay attention and try to "see" if it would work. It's not until I saw the 5000 pts did I realize what just happened, lol.

Good stuff.

BTW I insist you all play BurgerTime. It's soo unforgiving that it's like driving a Volkswagen Beetle's stickshift. Once you drive that, you can drive anything. Same with BT, I'm clearing the first stage without any Pepper now, and when I hop in to other games its like butter. Sorry for all the food references, but I'm hungry. Oh yeah, I just discovered a new strategy in BT as your opening move, I call it the "Hotdog Express: Riding the Bun" and you basically clear one whole hamburger by making a hotdog ride the top bun down the entire time. LoL!

I love this emulator, I woulda never figured those strats out as a kid, in fact I hated BT for NES.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK, now I am not sure what is going on (still testing with SMB 3). It "seems" like I am able to hold down B and "right" and then jump with A. But looking at the screen I see the B indicator on till I jump. Then the A indicator comes on for the jump--it the indicator then goes make to B. I don't "think" this is me taking my finger off B and moving it to A temporarily but I suppose that is possible.

Update: OK, tested it a little more and it sure does seem like it is recognizing more than two locations. When I am running in SMB 3 I can of course see the arrow indicator. When I press and hold B I of course run faster, and the B indicator is lit. And when I then press A--without letting go of B--the indicator immediately switches from B to A and the right arrow indicator never goes off. After I let go of A the indicator goes back to B (but sometimes both A, B, and the arrow indicators stay lit--and when this happens I can't seem to jump).

It's kinda hard for me to tell as I just switched to playing in landscape mode and I'm having trouble getting used to the directional controller (particually "right" the one I need the most). I switched to landscape to get the larger A & B buttons.

--
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
OK, now I am not sure what is going on (still testing with SMB 3). It "seems" like I am able to hold down B and "right" and then jump with A. But looking at the screen I see the B indicator on till I jump. Then the A indicator comes on for the jump--it the indicator then goes make to B. I don't "think" this is me taking my finger off B and moving it to A temporarily but I suppose that is possible.

Update: OK, tested it a little more and it sure does seem like it is recognizing more than two locations. When I am running in SMB 3 I can of course see the arrow indicator. When I press and hold B I of course run faster, and the B indicator is lit. And when I then press A--without letting go of B--the indicator immediately switches from B to A and the right arrow indicator never goes off. After I let go of A the indicator goes back to B (but sometimes both A, B, and the arrow indicators stay lit--and when this happens I can't seem to jump).

It's kinda hard for me to tell as I just switched to playing in landscape mode and I'm having trouble getting used to the directional controller (particually "right" the one I need the most). I switched to landscape to get the larger A & B buttons.

--
Mike
But if A and B are really being pressed simultaneously, how come when you just have Mario stand still and you mash your thumb across A and B, that both the A and B buttons don't register as being pushed above the start and select keys?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok, this is the real test. In Double Dragon II, you need to press A and B at the same time to jump. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to jump. This must mean that you still can't push A and B simultaneously, despite what nervegas said in his release notes. Am I right?

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
Ok, this is the real test. In Double Dragon II, you need to press A and B at the same time to jump. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to jump. This must mean that you still can't push A and B simultaneously, despite what nervegas said in his release notes. Am I right?
Yes that is CORRECT! Ding DIng Ding! i keep trying and trying but it doesn't work at all still...BUT, if you use two of your fingers to press on A & B for each finger together it will only work that way...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Yes that is CORRECT! Ding DIng Ding! i keep trying and trying but it doesn't work at all still...BUT, if you use two of your fingers to press on A & B for each finger together it will only work that way...
Oh well then it does work! Of course, that's just about worthless to us. Who would ever use 2 fingers for A and B?

PATundftd

Jul 16, 2007

why not just add a small button under the a b in landscape mode that is a+b in one button so in games like double dragon or river city ransom (one of best nes games) you can actually make these games playable.

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
my NES hasn't worked since the newest update =X

when i open NES it just closes and goes to the home screen

uninstalled and installed it a couple times, soft reset the phone too but nothing

any idea?

btw. i haven't read the past couple pages of this thread so if this has been resolved or mentioned then my apologies