Newly announced OnePlus Two phone packed with features, RAM, and a very competitive price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Chinese smartphone manufacturer OnePlus has announced the successor to its OnePlus One smartphone, and it is aptly named... OnePlus Two.

The phone comes with a plethora of impressive specs:
    • 13-megapixel rear camera with laser focus and OIS, dual LED flash, capable of shooting 4K videos, 1080p videos @60fps, or 720p videos @120fps; the camera features "six lenses to avoid distortion and color aberration"
    • 5-megapixel front-facing camera capable of shooting 1080p videos @ 30fps
    • 3300 mAh battery
    • USB Type-C port
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 64-bit octa-core CPU
    • Adreno 430 GPU
    • 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM on the 64 GB storage model or 3 GB of LPDDR4 RAM on the 16 GB model
    • the usual arsenal of sensors: dual microphone with noise cancellation, 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, multi-touch touchscreen display, fingerprint reader, compass

Also, this is, at least as far as I know, the first smartphone that is natively capable of HEVC (H.265) video playback. It can, of course, also play videos in various other formats: H.264, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-2, MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, MKV, ASF.

This smartphone runs OxygenOS, OnePlus's customized version of Android 5.1.

As far as I've gleaned, the OnePlus Two lacks NFC capability, so if that's a big part of your life, you may want to continue shopping around.

If there's anything about the OnePlus Two that will stupefy you, it's going to be the price tag: the 16 GB variant sells for peanuts at just $329, and the 64 GB model costs a very reasonable $389. Note that these are final prices, not subsidized prices.

The phone will go on sale in the United States, Canada, India, the European Union, and China on August 11th, 2015. You will need an invite before you're allowed to purchase the phone, and that part seems a tad complicated. First you have to get on the reservation list. Doing so gives you "a chance to get an invite if any are left unused." You can also get an invite from friends who have purchased a OnePlus Two already, or by "participating in OnePlus' contests and promotions." Once you do receive the invite, it is "typically valid for 24 hours, and you'll see how much time you have left to use it once you've claimed it."

Bottom line: I'll let you figure out this whole invite business by yourself. I'm getting a headache just reading the invite information page.

#1 Rafagon, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have the OnePlus One. Just another Android phone in a sea of Android phones.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I understand that model was also sold via an invitation system. How did that go for you?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I bought an invite on eBay for five bucks, so it was pretty easy. Others weren't so lucky. Also, a lot of the folks on the official OnePlus One forum are/were complete douchebags to newer members .

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not stupefied. You get what you pay for. They are able to offer it this cheap because of they cut a lot of corners that could end up affecting the end user. For example, the customer service and return/exchange procedure is terrible. It's basically the polar opposite of what you get from Apple. With Apple you aren't just paying for the hardware. You're also paying for and ensuring top-notch support and customer service. One of the many benefits you get is the option to walk in and get a same-day replacement at an Apple Store. With OnePlus it can take over a month for an exchange on a defective unit to be sent from Asia. Some people just cut their losses and pay for a new phone to avoid jumping through the hoops. There's a lot more to consider when buying a phone. If it's all you can afford, that's understandable. But just be aware of the downside to getting a phone that is so poorly supported. Going with a reputable company costs more, but it will ensure good support and customer service.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

There were many horror stories about customer support and RMAs from OnePlus.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nope, I don't need any of that in my life… I bet that once you purchase the phone from them, you'll never hear from them again. I'll stay away.

I mean, I was planning to anyhow, but now I'm doubly sure… :)

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

And the cops too, I hope!

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You haven't spent any time on Fremont Street in Vegas, have you?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That wood on the back looks tacky, IMO. It's like the Ford Pinto of phones.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And of you bang the battery cover too hard, does it explode? Hahaha

14. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

What SIM card does the OnePlus Two use? Duh, I guess I could Google that...

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Where do you think I got my start?

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've never been to Vegas :(

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Welcome to Fremont Street at night.

06262015 099.JPG

18. acosmichippo