News: Apple Rejects Google Voice iPhone App, Pulls All Google Voice Enabled Apps

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yesterday marked the death knell for Google voice apps, both existing and new Google Voice app that was flat rejected. Google was informed yesterday that GV Mobile was pulled due to “duplicating features”. Sean Kovacs, the developer of GV Mobile wrote:

Read entire story: Apple Rejects Google Voice iPhone App, Pulls All Google Voice Enabled Apps

Last edited:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Yesterday marked the death knell for Google voice apps, both existing and new Google Voice app that was flat rejected. Google was informed yesterday that GV Mobile was pulled due to “duplicating features”. Sean Kovacs, the developer of GV Mobile wrote:

Read entire story: Apple Rejects Google Voice iPhone App, Pulls All Google Voice Enabled Apps
Hmmmm, I guess that explains why I never received a charge for my purchase. I'm willing to bet the free SMS part got a complaint from AT&T. Can you provide link to this story?

advTHANKSance

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm glad I got my GV Mobile app a few weeks ago... I hope it's functionality isn't affected by this "rejection"

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
It'll likely disappear the next time you sync and/or iTunes says there's an update for an existing app as it checks the "store".

YMMV

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Free SMS? That's surely what killed it, thanks to AT&T.

Boy, I really hope this text plan price-gouging thing blows up sooner rather than later. For all carriers. It's gone on long enough. If there's anything I truly hate about AT&T, it's their thwarting of simple technology in their devices in the name of their over-inflated bottom line. Texts should be free with a data plan, and everyone knows it but no one is doing anything about it.

Sorry, it's a sore subject with me.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
It's on Cydia but you need a Google Voice account and that is invite only. :(

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm really disappointed to see Apple do this, particularly after having approved these apps already. In fact, there was an app that worked with GrandCentral (the previous name of the Google Voice service) that was available almost since the App Store opened to begin with, well before GV Mobile and others.

All the apps that I have that are no longer available on the App Store (GrandDialer, NetShare, etc.) have not disappeared from my computer and all still work, so I don't think that anyone who has any of these Google Voice apps already needs to worry about them going away.