NEWS: Apple Warns Competition, Palm Pre

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Maybe this Tim Cook guy will be fun to have around while Steve is away. He's fiery.

Apple's Tim Cook on Intellectual Property

Last edited:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm impressed. The key to Apple's future will be to adequately understand the competition, where the winds of change are blowing, and take appropriate action to deliver the appropriate products at the appropriate time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've always liked Tim Cook. He's not my first pick for Steve's successor - that's either Jonny Ive or Scott Forstall, but he's definitely up there, and I think he would do well as Apple's CEO. This story will be interesting to follow.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've always liked Tim Cook. He's not my first pick for Steve's successor - that's either Jonny Ive or Scott Forstall, but he's definitely up there, and I think he would do well as Apple's CEO. This story will be interesting to follow.
I'd go with either of your two choices as well (think we had a thread on this way back when) - but read that Ive is absolutely not fond of being in the public eye. Maybe Cook works well as CEO, but doesn't have to be a frontman as much as Steve, with Forstall, Schiller etc doing more of the presenting ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, Ive's always been a less public figure than the other big guys at Apple. I'm not sure which it was, but in 2005, he won some design award and Steve (Jobs) accepted it for him.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Sounds like Apple is scared to me. They better step-up to the plate and offer a better product, or at least what the market wants that they have been unwilling to provide so far.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Sounds like Apple is scared to me. They better step-up to the plate and offer a better product...
that's kind of what i was thinking. We have all been hoping that serious competition would give Apple a kick in the ass to get a few reasonable features added, and now that it's finally here, it sounds like they want to hide behind legal BS.

not promising.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If Apple is committed to platforms such as the iPhone, they will read the competition and take action to develop and implement roadmaps that maintain them as leaders. Otherwise, Apple is merely milking the product hype, and the device will end up a novelty such as the Newton.

Of course, there always is the possibility that Palm will buy-out Apple.