NEWS: AT&T Open To Unlocked phones, sort of..

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Repost of article snippet:

AT&T Vice President Bob Quinn, who was seated beside Lewis at Tuesday's event, wasn't content to let another carrier steal the spotlight. Quinn offered a pitch for what he described as longstanding "open" policies. He touted AT&T's willingness to sell customers phones without contracts--at a price, of course--and to allow unlocked phones not offered at its stores onto its network. He even boasted that "if you choose to go down that path where you're paying for an unsubsidized device with no commitment, we'll unlock the phone for you" so it'll work on other GSM carriers' networks. That remark prompted a near-brawl with Wall Street Journal personal technology columnist and unabashed iPhone idolizer Walt Mossberg, who also participated in Tuesday's panel. Mossberg interrupted Quinn to ask why that didn't apply to his gadget. The AT&T lobbyist acknowledged that the iPhone was an exception before snapping, "How about if I get to finish my remarks?"

Complete article at CNET.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Repost of article snippet:

AT&T Vice President Bob Quinn, who was seated beside Lewis at Tuesday's event, wasn't content to let another carrier steal the spotlight. Quinn offered a pitch for what he described as longstanding "open" policies. He touted AT&T's willingness to sell customers phones without contracts--at a price, of course--and to allow unlocked phones not offered at its stores onto its network. He even boasted that "if you choose to go down that path where you're paying for an unsubsidized device with no commitment, we'll unlock the phone for you" so it'll work on other GSM carriers' networks. That remark prompted a near-brawl with Wall Street Journal personal technology columnist and unabashed iPhone idolizer Walt Mossberg, who also participated in Tuesday's panel. Mossberg interrupted Quinn to ask why that didn't apply to his gadget. The AT&T lobbyist acknowledged that the iPhone was an exception before snapping, "How about if I get to finish my remarks?"

Complete article at CNET.

I can see Stevo on the phone to him now.................Screendoor..?:eek:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You'd think he would watch what he says more closely, especially with a contract and what not for exclusivity with Apple. Also, the AT&T CEO about the 3G iPhone, seems like AT&T has a bunch of blabbers in their midsts.