NEWS: Facebook App Developer Calls for Elimination of App Approval Process

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Joe Hewitt, the developer responsible for the Facebook app, including the latest 3.0 version that is pending approval for release from Apple, made a blog post yesterday advocating the complete elimination of the current approval process from the App Store’s procedures.​

More here on the front page...

An interesting take on the approval process from the standpoint of a developer. I'm not so sure I would be so quick to download apps as soon as they're released in the world he envisions...

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's not gonna happen.

On the other hand, my mac seems to do OK with non-approved software.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
that's not gonna happen.
I totally agree. I don't Apple would ever give up the choke hold they have on the App Store - their OS, their store. However, I think developers would appreciate it if they could somehow "earn trust" from the App Store and be allowed to directly publish app updates and even new apps after they've successfuly published one or two high-quality apps. That way, Apple would know they already have a good track record and would reduce the workload on their approval team somewhat...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Just finished reading that before popping into EIC.

Agree that it ain't gonna happen. But he makes some very good points - especially in terms of how quickly bugs would get spotted / fixed by good developers. I think unfortunately it's all the way less than good developers that would make that sort of system a fustercluck.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Page won't load. Never thought much of that site either, have to say. Who are the two people?
Here is the last paragraph in the article..no names are listed:

For developers who slave over the work creating a quality product, it all comes down to the decision of two people who spend around 13 minutes on your work.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here is the last paragraph in the article..no names are listed:

For developers who slave over the work creating a quality product, it all comes down to the decision of two people who spend around 13 minutes on your work.
OK - now I know what they're referencing. Amongst Apple's answers to the FCC inquiry about the Google Voice app rejection, they revealed that they have a team of 40 full-time professional reviewers, and that on average they receive 8,500 new / updated apps per week. Various sites did the math and worked out that that breaks down to over 400 apps a week per reviewer (because every app must be reviewed by two reviewers) and each reviewer thus spends around 6 minutes on each app.

Great system. Supposedly Apple have around $40 billion cash pile. Maybe they could hire a few more folks for such a critical area :)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
^^ I agree, they need to hire a few more chimps or this process will soon get out of control. (if it isn't already)

Jun 30, 2009
I have also read the review. That says " Version 3.0 of the Facebook app promises an improved interface and multiple new features". Very exciting news. However I agree with aknightstale41. Apple should hire more persons so that they can release apps more early.