NEWS: The iPhone's Poaching Potential

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
The iPhone's Poaching Potential
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/06/21/apple-poaching.aspx

Talks about how many customers AT&T and iPhone may lure away from Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc... Not really any new info though.

- SR
So how many Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc.. customers are going to fork out the following? Please sound off...

iPhone = $500
Voice plan $40 * 24 months = $960
Data plan $40 * 24 months = $960
Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile early termination fee $175.00
------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL $2,595.00

If you are currently a Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc will you be willing to fork out $2,595.00? Sound off.

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
im with tmobile and have unhappily stay with them waiting for the iPhone (so i don't get stuck in any contracts)....so i guess i am willing. i am doing it, and i don't see a way around buying an unlimited data plan. i guess we'll see on 29th

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
The iPhone's Poaching Potential
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/06/21/apple-poaching.aspx

Talks about how many customers AT&T and iPhone may lure away from Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc... Not really any new info though.

- SR
fool.com failed to include the entire quote from IDC.....

"A survey by research firm IDC found that while 60% of respondents were interested in the iPhone, only 10% wanted to pay full price and sign a contract with AT&T.

And those 10% don't know the data plan will be required. So 10% is a very liberal number.

Don't you love how the media skews the numbers just to make a good story!

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
People keep bringing up total costs. If you compare the iPhone to any other Smartphone like the Nokia N95, Blackberry, Blackjack or the Treo, with a data plan then the iPhone only works out be a few hundred dollars more and that is only because it is not subsidized.

Personally I am moving over from Sprint. been waiting seven years for the 'perfect phone' and I am hoping (praying?) that iPhone is it. I am so confident that this is the phone that I have been waiting for that I don't really care what it costs.

- SR

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
People keep bringing up total costs. If you compare the iPhone to any other Smartphone like the Nokia N95, Blackberry, Blackjack or the Treo, with a data plan then the iPhone only works out be a few hundred dollars more and that is only because it is not subsidized.
Yeah but if you look at my unlimited data plan poll, it appears that roughly more than half of the respondants have not had plans with these costs before. I think the total cost might surprise a few folks.

I think a majority of the people poached will be entering into unlimited data plans for the very first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yeah but if you look at my unlimited data plan poll, it appears that roughly more than half of the respondants have not had plans with these costs before. I think the total cost might surprise a few folks.
Yeah, once they starting adding those 3 magical letters to the bill, it gets nutty. I mean F, C and C. LOL

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If you are currently a Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc will you be willing to fork out $2,595.00? Sound off.
I'll do my best to avoid the ETF and I'm not expecting voice+data to be quite so high, but I am definitely willing.

For a lot of folks, I imagine that right after other important monthly expenses (rent, food, electric, etc.) is cell phone service. It's becoming more important and central to our lives. It even replaces land-line service for some. It is our life line for businesss and travel. More important than simply music and movies (iPod) is information and communication. Some might even forgo some of those other monthly expenses for a while to have an iPhone. :laugh2:

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
So how many Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc.. customers are going to fork out the following? Please sound off...

iPhone = $500
TOTAL $2,595.00

I am tired of hearing these figures tossed around. As was mentioned earlier, the costs of the Verizon Blackberry 8830 is $300 instores (200 online, but lets use 300), service is the same cost, (40+40)*24 months. The difference is 200 more for an iPhone. Your logic of the pricing is flawed by this. The difference in price over two years is $200! Furthermore, do you think that anyonewho has been dying to get an iPhone and who has more than enough cash to cover the cost would be held back by an early termination fee? For me this is not an issue because my contract with verizon has been up for months, but I can say as someone who has been waiting for this phone, I would pay the cancellation fee if I had to.

From my perspective and all the crap I have read about the actual cost of an iPhone, it seems to me that the people producing these figures are the haters, people who want to see Apple fail, AND these are the people who will not be able to afford the whole package on June 29th.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
yes, im taking the ETF for the iPhone - and yes ill be willing to fork out however much money it takes for the minimum with the iPhone :) to a certain degree though.

verizon and i don't see eye to eye anymore so they can die in a fire

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
From my perspective and all the crap I have read about the actual cost of an iPhone, it seems to me that the people producing these figures are the haters, people who want to see Apple fail, AND these are the people who will not be able to afford the whole package on June 29th.
I have been an Apple Evangelist since 1984. I even owned an Apple ][. I have owned over a dozen Apple computers and currently use a MacBookPro.

So, I can surly say with 100% confidence that I have done more to support Apple then you have and more so than 99% of the forum members.

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I am tired of hearing these figures tossed around. As was mentioned earlier, the costs of the Verizon Blackberry 8830 is $300 instores (200 online, but lets use 300), service is the same cost, (40+40)*24 months. The difference is 200 more for an iPhone. Your logic of the pricing is flawed by this. The difference in price over two years is $200! Furthermore, do you think that anyonewho has been dying to get an iPhone and who has more than enough cash to cover the cost would be held back by an early termination fee? For me this is not an issue because my contract with verizon has been up for months, but I can say as someone who has been waiting for this phone, I would pay the cancellation fee if I had to.
No your logic is flawed.

Your comments are based entirely on "smart phone" users who account for less than 5% of the ENTIRE cell phone market.

The average cell phone user pays $59 (with rebate) for a phone and $40/month for voice service.

The average cell phone users is NOT going to spend $500 (no rebate) on an iPhone and $40/month on a data plan on top of the $40/month voice plan.

You can take your foot out of your mouth now!

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
yes, im taking the ETF for the iPhone - and yes ill be willing to fork out however much money it takes for the minimum with the iPhone :) to a certain degree though.

verizon and i don't see eye to eye anymore so they can die in a fire
I called Verizon a couple days ago and told them I was "thinking" about switching to AT&T because of the iPhone. The pinhead Verizon rep said "oh that interesting". I said I can't wait until my contract is up (July 1st). The Verison rep said "is there anything else I can do for you". No I said.

Apparently Verizon is not to concerned with keeping their current customers.

azwilly

Jun 11, 2007
I think when you compare to the Blackberry costs you need to remember the Bandwidth on a Blackberry is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Edge (for $40.00) and you can connect to your Company email. There are those individuals who like these two features. When at my friends house I use his $2000 computer with all the bells and whistles but he connects through dialup. I am thankful to return to my old system with high speed. That being said, there will always be those who need the "latest and greatest" and I, for one, thank them for testing the new stuff for the rest of us. The nex generation of iPhone will certainly be amazing. Before you drag out the name calling ...I still have an original working Apple computer from the 80's sitting in my closet so I have been around Steve jobs' creations for quite a while. I'm not a hater, just a realist.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
No your logic is flawed.

Your comments are based entirely on "smart phone" users who account for less than 5% of the ENTIRE cell phone market.

The average cell phone user pays $59 (with rebate) for a phone and $40/month for voice service.

The average cell phone users is NOT going to spend $500 (no rebate) on an iPhone and $40/month on a data plan on top of the $40/month voice plan.

You can take your foot out of your mouth now!

First, the Jobs said he is not out for massive market shares, just a 1% share (am I quoting that right?;)) which i think is definitely possible, considering your figure that 5% of cellphone users are smartphone users.

Do you really believe the iPhone is targeted for soccer moms with razrs or people using a Verizon Chocolate? Come on, it is a hardcore phone for the hardcore user. How many "average" cell phone users are actually going to purchase an iPhone? Im sure there are many, many average users who WANT one, but few will follow up on that, which is in-line with the initial post.

You and your calculations are comparing the 2-year cost of an iPhone to the 2 year cost of a basic plastic flip phone? The comparison is unfair because most if not all of these basic flip phones are either free or heavily subsidized with a 2 year contract. These people either don't want to spend the money or don't need/arent interested in the features of the iPhone which is why it should be compared to a device such as a blackberry which uses the same data plans and costs a little less.

I don't really see what is hard to understand about this. You are comparing the costs associated with the iPhone to the costs of a basic "razr"-like cell phone and service when it is competing agains blackberries, treos, blackjacks, etc....

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
don't really see what is hard to understand about this. You are comparing the costs associated with the iPhone to the costs of a basic "razr"-like cell phone and service when it is competing agains blackberries, treos, blackjacks, etc....
That was the point I was trying to make with my original post you pinhead!

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I have been an Apple Evangelist since 1984. I even owned an Apple ][. I have owned over a dozen Apple computers and currently use a MacBookPro.
Where is your Newton? eMate? Pippin? Lisa? Apple III?

I still have all of mine. FYIL iPhone will NOT fall into the same category as any of those products.

I agree with ps49556n. Stop bitching about the price, the comparison doesn't add up.

- SR

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

iPhone = $500
TOTAL $2,595.00

Everybody will be forking out $2,425 (if the data plan rumors are true). What's the big deal about $175 more? This argument doesn't hold water.