News: TomTom GPS for iPhone Pricing Leaked

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There have been a few GPS apps released for the iPhone that offer driving directions, but none as anticipated as TomTom’s turn by turn satellite navigation app. According to one retailer, pricing will be $193.75 or thereabouts. It will include what appears to be the coolest car mount we’ve seen, but also finds itself priced way above standalone GPS units.

Last edited:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Man, that's steep! Don't think I'm gonna buy that one. I have a nice Garmin I use, so it's not a necessity. I do, however, like the windshield mount.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What happens when you upgrade to the iPhone 3GS Plus or whatever new iPhone comes out next year? If it doesn't fit, you're out out luck. App will of course work, but I think the accessory is part the hubub surrounding the TomTom app.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
They will just release a different mount. The window suction pad/thing will no doubt stay the same but the iPhone holder would differ.

I think its massively over priced. You could buy a tomtom for cheaper than that, with a bigger screen, with a much more reliable GPS signal.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
What happens when you upgrade to the iPhone 3GS Plus or whatever new iPhone comes out next year? If it doesn't fit, you're out out luck. App will of course work, but I think the accessory is part the hubub surrounding the TomTom app.
Tom-tom better hope, as well as early adopters of the mount, that Apple doesn't change the form-factor of the new iPhone. I would be p.o.'d to pay that much for the app/mount only to find one year later I cant use the mount.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wait - is this for the mount AND the app? I'd expect that buying the mount would give you a code for the app to get it for free if it costs that much.

At this point, I'm game to try out the app, but I don't think I'll be getting the mount at all. My ProClip mount and car charger work just fine...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wait - is this for the mount AND the app? I'd expect that buying the mount would give you a code for the app to get it for free if it costs that much.

At this point, I'm game to try out the app, but I don't think I'll be getting the mount at all. My ProClip mount and car charger work just fine...
For a second I thought you were going to pass up a GPS nav app.:dft008:surprised

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm not convinced that this is the final price.
While $193 is probably the conditioning price, i've always suspected TT would be about $150 (which will probably be the "introductory price").

Regardless, more than I want to pay for a GPS app, especially with Navigon and iGo MyWay already out.

--
Mike

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've used Navigon and it works just fine for me. I don't know how tomtom get off on charging that amount of money. It's seems far too much to me, I would of expected them to charge a similar competitive price to the others... obviously not.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So is the app not gonna be available without the mount?

No thanks.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't care if the mount is bundled or not, that is too much money! If a dedicated GPS can be gotten for $99, why would software-only cost more? The mount does not add that much value. I don't get it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It seems the mount is not just a mount. It's apparently a GPS receiver itself. While this might help with signal issues, or help at least simulate running in the background, I don't want it. I wouldn't be surprised if the mount allowed full GPS on 1G iPhones (well, actually I would be surprised ;)).

My 3GS has no problem getting and holding a signal when using the Maps app. So I really don't want to pay extra for additional hardware when I know what I have now is up to the task. Heck I'd rather buy another full-blown GPS than do that (for less money too).

--
Mike

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
For a second I thought you were going to pass up a GPS nav app.:dft008:surprised
Yeah, I don't even think that's physically possible at this point. :sneaky: I have all of the non-subscription apps out to date, except for those G-Map ones. I need professional help.:009:blushing

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah, I don't even think that's physically possible at this point. :sneaky: I have all of the non-subscription apps out to date, except for those G-Map ones. I need professional help.:009:blushing
You need to talk to one of my alter-egos, Dr. Chad Feelgood...:)

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
That price doesn't seem competitive I don't care what it is bundled with. Many already own standalone GPS units.....some own all of em :)macgirl. I love the idea of having 1 super device to carry but I am just not convinced I want any GPS app at all. Think I will just stick with the Garmin. Got too many other frivolous things I want to buy lol.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't think a lot of people realise that installing these apps on the phone take up a lot of memory. If the price does remain at what's been quoted now then I don't think they will get much custom- unless this app is so amzing that it can drive the car as well then I will not be paying for it. Too much.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
According to the story that price includes the car mount, which I'm guessing alone will be about 70-80 bucks because of the integrated gps boost, which would put the app by itself in the 120.00 range. I would buy the app at that price.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
According to the story that price includes the car mount, which I'm guessing alone will be about 70-80 bucks because of the integrated gps boost, which would put the app by itself in the 120.00 range. I would buy the app at that price.

I still seriously wouldn't, it's over pirced for what it is. You can spend less money and get a better GPS device, with a mount.