Newsstand = Fail.

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by jmp316, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Just saying'. If they can't get more than about 10 newspapers or magazines to publish content there, then what's the point?

2. Robbinhoodz25

Robbinhoodz25 Member
    Bronze

True true. I honestly would have thought itd be as a iPad exclusive app.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The failure isn't really with newsstand, but with the idea of ezines and epapers. If you have an Internet-capable device, you have plenty of free content to choose from already. Why pay for a hefty subscription?

4. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I pay for the Times, and it pisses me off that it's stuck in the stupid Newsstand.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

It's not gonna last.

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I agree, would of made more sense on the iPad only, but my iPad newsstand app sits empty also.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I'd like to be able to uninstall the thing.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

8. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Or at least a disable button kind of like that Nike+ app.

9. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I find it a useful idea because I read (and subscribe to) a number of good magazine and newspaper titles. I'd rather see it as an app like iBooks though, or perhaps better as just another section of iBooks.

10. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

They also turned NewsStand into a super folder, unable delete or easily move into another folder.....not cool Apple

11. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I didn't understand why they just didn't add stuff to ibooks. Having another thing there is silly.

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I am stumped by that too but I assume Newsstand is more of "do it your way" for the publishers rather than forcing them into a dedicated reader format that might not have all the features of a stand-alone app.

But regardless to have a dedicated folder that auto-sucks apps into it whether we want them there or not? I don't like it. I already had a folder called "News" that has--had--all my news apps in it. But now NYT, and only NYT, has been sucked out of it and placed into Newsstand. I don't even have a NYT subscription. Ironically as I think about it I don't think I have opened the NYT app up even once since it was sucked into the Newsstand folder.

As far as purchasing subscriptions... I have a major problem paying for an electronic edition of a periodical and still subjected get to ads.

I have developed advertising and subscription/distribution/circulation systems for newspapers and magazines and the idea was to--hopefully--cover the cost of printing and delivery of the product in the subscription fees. Advertising paid for the content. (Greatly simplified.)

So now NYT wants me to pay for a product that I download on my dime, has nearly zero cost of material (newsprint is HUGE expense), and yet still have ads? As a blog post I read today asserted, that is double-dipping:
    http://www.marco.org/2011/10/27/double-dipping-ads-in-ipad-magazines

Michael

13. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

^^^ That's a good post by Marco Arment. He's a smart guy and I love his Instapaper app and he makes a fair point on the double-dipping.

I have to say though I really don't mind it. I read The New Yorker and other paid titles on the iPad that have full page ads and similar - and I don't find the ads overly intrusive. They always seems quite easy to ignore and some of them are even interesting.

I think magazine publishers in particular can make a strong case that a lot of their readers like the ads that are in them. They're generally targeted pretty well and are often part of the attraction for readers.

Marco mentions ads on TV and in printed issues - and it seems to me ads are just as easy (when compared to print) or even easier (when compared to TV) to skip past in most iPad editions..

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I particularly hate ads on iOS as one inadvertent tap YANKS me out of what I am doing and leads me to: safari or iTunes store, etc. That annoys the hell out of me. I LOVE apps that at least ask you first.

Michael