Next iPhone update (v1.1.1) just adds WiFi iTunes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 15, 2007

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Hopefully we will be able to update the phone without being required to have the most current version of iTunes. That is all I really care about. I am not doing iTunes ringtones and don't want to have to deal with it deleting or renaming my current tones.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
wifi iTunes, any benefit?

Yeah, other widgets would be nice. However, I'd just be stoked to get the iTunes update already. I'm impatient!
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the benefit of wifi iunes?

It seems to me all it does is make it easier to buy songs (i.e. easier to spend money on impulse rather than spending money after some deliberation). Kind of like how credit cards cause people to spend 20-30% more than if they were using cash. I see how this benefits Apple but is the added convenience really a benefit considering it will likely just cause one to buy more iTunes stuff?

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

It seems to me all it does is make it easier to buy songs (i.e. easier to spend money on impulse rather than spending money after some deliberation). Kind of like how credit cards cause people to spend 20-30% more than if they were using cash. I see how this benefits Apple but is the added convenience really a benefit considering it will likely just cause one to buy more iTunes stuff?
Im with you. I think its lame. I mean great I buy a song on the go. But since I sync just about every night and use my laptop every day as well i really don't see the "real" benefit of this app, other then impatience. If i hear a song on the radio i want i don't NEED to download it at that exact second I can wait till I get home. I doubt I'll ever use this. And to boot if this is all this adds i will be very disappointed

Sep 15, 2007
I already spent $400 on the phone, the whole being thrifty concept is out the window. I am not saying i will spend that amount on iTunes (wi-fi or not), but i can appreciate the convenience of being able to download a 99-cent song on the go. Not much to think about...it's a buck! But nothing Apple does is going to please everyone and that's just how it goes.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I already spent $400 on the phone, the whole being thrifty concept is out the window. I am not saying i will spend that amount on iTunes (wi-fi or not), but i can appreciate the convenience of being able to download a 99-cent song on the go. Not much to think about...it's a buck! But nothing Apple does is going to please everyone and that's just how it goes.

I don't really consider wifi as being on the
go

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Folks, plain and simply Microsoft got BASHED for not including music download and purchase support on the Zune when they released it with Wi-Fi. Apple is a) simply responding to that gripe, and b) yes trying to make more money (they're a businesss, thats what they do)

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Based on a hands-on of an iPhone running it in UK for the O2 launch..

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hands-on-with-the-o2-iphone/

No other apps, and a few tweaks like the double tap home-button. What a load of crap. I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to add something major like chat, games, other widgets. :oops:
I for one am too thuroughly disappointed in Apples decisions with the iPhone, ive had one since iday and ive expected and heard so many good things would happen for it and being a long time customer id seen their previous work with gadgets but the iPhones progress and price drop has been a complete dissappointment for me. My view on Apple will never be the same again.

The only thing thats kept me afloat with this phone is the amazing 3rd party development and hacking towards the phone. If it wasn't for that I would have gone back to my 8525 long ago.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I still think that the "MAJOR UPDATE" that everyone is waiting on will come out AFTER leopard has been released. It has been stated that Leopard and the iPhone were meant to work in unison with one another, and until Leopard is released, that simply won't be the case. Be patient people.It really is less than a month away for the leopard release so really it's not that far away! :)

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I for one am too thuroughly disappointed in Apples decisions with the iPhone, ive had one since iday and ive expected and heard so many good things would happen for it and being a long time customer id seen their previous work with gadgets but the iPhones progress and price drop has been a complete dissappointment for me. My view on Apple will never be the same again.

The only thing thats kept me afloat with this phone is the amazing 3rd party development and hacking towards the phone. If it wasn't for that I would have gone back to my 8525 long ago.
Honestly, then you are a customer that would have never been pleased.
You got (or will get) a credit for the price drop.
AND it's not even 3 months since the iPhone hit the market. If you bought it expecting you'd have major updates in the first 2 months, then you don't understand technology.

What I hope for (but do not EXPECT) is that we'll see more significant firmware/software updates and additions in conjunction with the new OSX... but I didn't BUY the phone expecting anything other than what I was getting.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I still think that the "MAJOR UPDATE" that everyone is waiting on will come out AFTER leopard has been released. It has been stated that Leopard and the iPhone were meant to work in unison with one another, and until Leopard is released, that simply won't be the case. Be patient people.It really is less than a month away for the leopard release so really it's not that far away! :)
I have been wondering on this as it actually makes no sense. The phone is designed to work on both the Windows OS and Mac OS not the Mac OS alone. So why would an update be so dependent on the OS when it is not OS specific? I was more thinking that a major update is simple not ready and thereforee won't be released until it is.

The supposed upcoming 1.1.1 may not be all that major to all, but to some the iTunes is welcome (not me), the international keyboard is way past due (again not me), and the EDGE can be turned off when roaming (huge me since I have more out of country trips to go this year and the phone can accidentally pull data on the unlock).

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I anticipated iTunes on the iPhone before iDay. Before iDay there was a secret application. I even created a poll question for it. Turned out to be YouTube, but I thought it would be iTunes.

For someone like me who hears about new music all the time, I am constantly wanting to just hear the sample. And if it is good, I want to know that the song is available for purchase. I listen to a lot of music that isn't available for download. You have to purchase the CD, if you can even find it. So just knowing on the spot whether or not a song is available for download is very valuable information to me. I don't plan on purchasing iTunes music unless I have to, but it's great to have the information right in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I have been wondering on this as it actually makes no sense. The phone is designed to work on both the Windows OS and Mac OS not the Mac OS alone. So why would an update be so dependent on the OS when it is not OS specific?
Well, the iPhone is an Apple computer. Apple computers can connect to PCs. They do it every time they connect to the internet. So it makes complete sense that they would have a huge update when OSX is available. But I heard that they might charge for the OSX update, so I was expecing a different kind of major update. I would expect the OSX update to be a 2.0.0 update. But all we want is an update to 1.1.0. If all 1.1.1 does is give us iTunes, well, it's IMO not worth the #.1.# designation. It should be 1.0.3, or is it 1.0.4?

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I have been wondering on this as it actually makes no sense. The phone is designed to work on both the Windows OS and Mac OS not the Mac OS alone. So why would an update be so dependent on the OS when it is not OS specific? I was more thinking that a major update is simple not ready and thereforee won't be released until it is.

The supposed upcoming 1.1.1 may not be all that major to all, but to some the iTunes is welcome (not me), the international keyboard is way past due (again not me), and the EDGE can be turned off when roaming (huge me since I have more out of country trips to go this year and the phone can accidentally pull data on the unlock).
It does make sense if you look at it from a feature set perspective not whether it works with Windows or Apple.