NextGeniPhone: Predictions on New Hardware & Release Dates.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
NextGeniPhone: Predictions on New Hardware & Release Dates. (WWDC in 9 days!)

So when do you all think it will hit? I think it could be Summer of '09 around WWDC. And I guess I have more of a "Wish List" than simple "Predictions" :p

Release Date Prediction (subject to change, of course):

WWDC 2009

Upgrades:

More Ram and Faster CPU

Larger Screen (Bigger is always better imho, screen only not phone size)

Longer Lasting Battery (Removable? yes right)

More Storage (32gb/64gb)

3-5mp camera with flash

Front Facing Camera (For recording video of yourself/ possible video conf.)

More Bluetooth Compatibility

Better Shell Casing (Carbon Fiber Anyone?)

Higher Resolution Screen (HD?)

Louder Speakers (Just because I've heard some folks mention it ;))

More Pages Available For Apps (Maybe a grid system scrolling up/down?)

That's about it for now.

Thanks. :laugh2:

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im hoping it comes sooner then summer, i would be happy with a bit more storage and faster cpu to handle all the apps.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I guess that would mean that Indy has been masterbating for quite some time, and in 13 or so days he will finally be able to sleep with the real deal by his side.
Are you excited yet Indy? Maybe Chris will throw an EIC party for ya. Or how about another iPhone give away?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I guess that would mean that Indy has been masterbating for quite some time, and in 13 or so days he will finally be able to sleep with the real deal by his side.
Are you excited yet Indy? Maybe Chris will throw an EIC party for ya. Or how about another iPhone give away?
Hahaha...Well, my T-Mobile contract ends in 13 days and due to a few things breaking down around the house throughout the year (oh, the joys of home ownership) every time I had money saved up I ended up having to put it towards things needing to be fixed.

So in actuality, I have not one red cent saved at this moment BUT, I've been asking everyone in the family for Apple gift cards be it 5 or 50 bucks or whatever. I also get a small bonus at work and my wife and I have already agreed that the iPhone is going to be my christmas present.

So I'm not getting it in 13 days but will be glad knowing that my contract's are up and I can switch at anytime I please!

I'll probably get a couple Apple gift cards and be able to save a little of my bonus that doesn't go towards paying for the christmas presents bought and I should have a pretty hefty savings come the new year! Oh and let's not forget that if I'm lucky enough to win the 200 bucks from the social drawing I'll be sitting real pretty then!

MacGirl also saved my butt in letting me in on a little secret that I hadn't even considered. I was planning on switching carriers on my birthday which is the 21st, 1 day after the contract ends. Well, guess what, if I were to do that and get another phone the first day of sign up I might not be eligible for the subsidized iPhone price leaving me spending $4-500 on the unsubsidized price! I'm glad she mentioned it!

So I will be officially switching carriers and getting an iPhone on the same day that I have enough money to do it all, that's gonna be, switching carriers with activation fees, getting my wife some kind of smartphone which she's never had but sure she'll like (I'll get her the wally world version :p) and paying for my iPhone.

I'm thinking I'll definitely have one sometime in January or shortly thereafter.

And Hey, I'm just excited that it's getting SO close! I'm almost there!:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Predicting at this point is mental masturbation.
I know! Isn't it fun!

I love reading and seeing what everyone thinks is going to happen but in the end NOONE truly knows but a few Apple folks!:p

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Birmingham AL via Long Island
Hahaha...Well, my T-Mobile contract ends in 13 days and due to a few things breaking down around the house throughout the year (oh, the joys of home ownership) every time I had money saved up I ended up having to put it towards things needing to be fixed.

So in actuality, I have not one red cent saved at this moment BUT, I've been asking everyone in the family for Apple gift cards be it 5 or 50 bucks or whatever. I also get a small bonus at work and my wife and I have already agreed that the iPhone is going to be my christmas present.

So I'm not getting it in 13 days but will be glad knowing that my contract's are up and I can switch at anytime I please!

I'll probably get a couple Apple gift cards and be able to save a little of my bonus that doesn't go towards paying for the christmas presents bought and I should have a pretty hefty savings come the new year! Oh and let's not forget that if I'm lucky enough to win the 200 bucks from the social drawing I'll be sitting real pretty then!

MacGirl also saved my butt in letting me in on a little secret that I hadn't even considered. I was planning on switching carriers on my birthday which is the 21st, 1 day after the contract ends. Well, guess what, if I were to do that and get another phone the first day of sign up I might not be eligible for the subsidized iPhone price leaving me spending $4-500 on the unsubsidized price! I'm glad she mentioned it!

So I will be officially switching carriers and getting an iPhone on the same day that I have enough money to do it all, that's gonna be, switching carriers with activation fees, getting my wife some kind of smartphone which she's never had but sure she'll like (I'll get her the wally world version :p) and paying for my iPhone.

I'm thinking I'll definitely have one sometime in January or shortly thereafter.

And Hey, I'm just excited that it's getting SO close! I'm almost there!:laugh2:
Indy - my wife and I are also planning on switching to ATT and each getting an iPhone; does this mean we won't be able to get the subsidized price on one of the phones?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Indy - my wife and I are also planning on switching to ATT and each getting an iPhone; does this mean we won't be able to get the subsidized price on one of the phones?
Well the way I understand it is that when you sign on with AT&T you get whatever phone you want.

You then have 30 days to return that phone if you don't wish to keep it or want to switch to another.

I believe, and don't quote me on this because it's just from what i've read, after the 30 days are over you cannot switch to a new device for 12 months without paying an unsubsidized price. I think that is for ANY phone, be it a blackjack2 or an iPhone. At the end of those 12 months you have available an upgrade, where you can now buy another phone at the subsidized price once again.

Please someone tell me if I'm wrong on this, I'd hate to tell someone the wrong way to purchase their phones.

I believe if you were to go in, sign up right then and there and go ahead and get your iPhone(s) there is nothing to worry about whatsoever, you will get them at the low subsidized price.

Does this make any sense? I don't intend to confuse anyone.

I called my Apple store a couple days ago and asked them about coming in and just buying a phone right then and there, the employee told me over the phone that when I come into purchase the phone they do the activation in store and based on your plan, be it a new customer or an existing customer with or without available upgrade, you either get a subsidized priced phone or if your not ready for upgrade you pay full price upwards of 4-500 bucks.

That is why I am waiting to make the switch until I am completely ready to walk right in the store and buy service and phone together.

Good Luck! And congratz for you and your wife, you will have fun playing together!

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Birmingham AL via Long Island
Well the way I understand it is that when you sign on with AT&T you get whatever phone you want.

You then have 30 days to return that phone if you don't wish to keep it or want to switch to another.

I believe, and don't quote me on this because it's just from what i've read, after the 30 days are over you cannot switch to a new device for 12 months without paying an unsubsidized price. I think that is for ANY phone, be it a blackjack2 or an iPhone. At the end of those 12 months you have available an upgrade, where you can now buy another phone at the subsidized price once again.

Please someone tell me if I'm wrong on this, I'd hate to tell someone the wrong way to purchase their phones.

I believe if you were to go in, sign up right then and there and go ahead and get your iPhone(s) there is nothing to worry about whatsoever, you will get them at the low subsidized price.

Does this make any sense? I don't intend to confuse anyone.

I called my Apple store a couple days ago and asked them about coming in and just buying a phone right then and there, the employee told me over the phone that when I come into purchase the phone they do the activation in store and based on your plan, be it a new customer or an existing customer with or without available upgrade, you either get a subsidized priced phone or if your not ready for upgrade you pay full price upwards of 4-500 bucks.

That is why I am waiting to make the switch until I am completely ready to walk right in the store and buy service and phone together.

Good Luck! And congratz for you and your wife, you will have fun playing together!
Thanks Indy, that makes perfect sense. It won't change our plans at all. Even if they come out with a new model next summer, I wouldn't upgrade at that time anyway....I ALWAYS wait at least 3-4 months to allow them to work out the kinks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My predictions:

1. Faster processor. Something that can multitask.

2. Better battery. This happens with every generation pretty much.

3. Thinner frame. Back to a metal design. I see them looking like the new iPod touch only with a dark grey metal (think hematite) or maybe back to aluminum.

4. Better camera. Much better. I would guess 5MP with high-quality video support. Maybe a flash, but real optical autofocus is going to be hard in a case as thin as the iPhone.

5. Larger memory sizes. I think 16GB will be the new baseline, with 32 and perhaps 64 gig models available. Maybe they'll keep the 8 around for Walmart ;)

available next June, along with cut-and-paste and MMS support for ALL iPhones.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. Move that "big" HOME button to the right side, and let's have some more screen.

2. Please...please don't make the backside round...it's not that good on a table.

3. Faster processor/more disk is always nice.

4. Front camera, better resolution and option for hiding the camera lens on the back.

5. Option for changing the plastic cover on the backside for more personal look.