Nexus 5 vs iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Oct 31, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Google has announced the Nexus 5, available for purchase from the Google Play Store in 16GB and 32GB configurations. I've typically been a fan of the Nexus line, since it is contract free. It's always been a fun way to tip my toes in the Android pool. Sometimes fun, sometimes frustrating. Android continues to get better with each iteration. This release also marks the introduction of Android 4.4 KitKat. Yes, it's really named KitKat.

These threads invariably pop-up and on occasion get closed. I've always felt that my forums and more importantly communities have been able to engage in constructive debate. It doesn't always work out that way, but I hope that won't be the case in this thread.

Let's discuss these two great phones* and enjoy some good, healthy smartphone discussion.

*I'm assuming the Nexus 5 is great. Not all Nexus phones have been great. The Nexus 4 was very good, but the camera was absolute crap. That's been my biggest issue with Android phones in general. The HTC One had a decent camera, but a good number of them are no where near the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s. The Moto X was particularly disappointing, even when compared to an iPod touch.

2. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I am looking forward to the nexus 5 as well and in particular Android 4.4. This new release is concentrating on memory usage and is optimized to run on devices with as little as 512mb of ram. I can not wait to put it on my 2013 Nexus 7....

As for the camera, I was a bit disappointed when I heard that the N5 would not have the same camera as the LG G2 (which in my opinion is second to the Nokia 1020). However, I read that the n5's camera will have OIS so that should have a positive effect.

All in all I hope the phone sells well. Competition breeds innovation.

~S

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Well, I no longer like KitKats

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Early hands-on seem to find the camera average. It's asking a lot to compare favorably to the iPhone 5s/5. If it's usable, that's ok for me. I'm conditioned to such crappy cameras on Android phones, that a moderately good one would be nice.

These phones are no longer 'cheap'. Sure they are less than the price of an unlocked flagship, but we're still talking $350-$400. You shouldn't have to compromise too much on a phone in that price bracket.

5. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I agree completely. Always wondered by Google cheapest out on the Nexus cameras. On another note, have you tried out the LG G2? I had one prior to the 5s and while the button placement was weird, the camera was outstanding. It's really to bad Google did not opt for that camera.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you happen upon the new Google Nexus page, it's all about 'capturing the moment'. There is a serious push to market this as a phone with great photo capabilities. I have my doubts. Josh Topolsky mentioned on Twitter that the camera isn't terrible and might actually be good. We'll see...

No shipping confirmation on mine yet.

7. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

KitKat 4.4 features explanied

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Can not wait for the reviews. OIS should help and will probably be standard on phone cameras going forward.

~S

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

When I ordered, it said ships in 1-2 days. Now my status says shipping from warehouse by November 5th. When it comes to ordering, their store is abysmal.

10. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I too like the Nexus line. And you can see that Google is really trying to push the envelope with the Nexus 5. I would like to buy one and see how it is for myself. I really liked the Nexus 7 from last year which I own. This to me is Google's answer to Samsung more then to the iPhone. But man I tell you that phone seems to be a little beast.

Sent using iCafe app

11. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I have no idea why best buy is selling the nexus 5 for $799! This is what I read and I have no idea why. You can buy it direct from google for $350. That's a great price and you're free to choose any carrier except Verizon which it doesn't function with.

Sent using iCafe app

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Seems like no touch to focus on the camera and WiFi issues.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I've spent over a week now with my new Nexus 5. Being my first Android after 6 years of iPhoning, there is a lot to take in but here are my impressions of it so far (comparing to my iPhone 5, which I am still keeping):

Screen
    The Nexus 5 has a really lovely screen. It will eat 1/3 of your battery with regular use, but it's worth it. Really sharp and vivid, and I really dig the thin bezels. The iPhone 5 screen pops a bit more with saturation and contrast and is brighter when you crank it, but the gap has closed a bit since I've switched to the Franco kernel on the N5... apparently he's modified the system colors for more contrast and clarity, and it shows.

Style
    I really, really like the look of the N5. The stealth black, soft plastic back is pretty much what I've made every one of my iPhones look like through cases all these years. I don't plan on casing the N5. I know it is heavier than the iP5, but I can't tell the difference. Because it's such a large screen, the perception to me is that the N5 is actually lighter. Regardless, I find it very easy to hold and use and pocket. The thin bezels and expansive screen are awesome.

Speed
    The N5 is the fastest phone I've ever used. Other than the multitask button which has a very small degree of lag inherent to it (for now, until Android switches to ART compiling), the phone waits for me instead of the other way around. You can disable animations, which I do because I want everything to happen as instantly as possible. iOS7 even with reduced animations is still way too slow to get from point A to point B. Android just has fluid navigation down better, in my opinion. Beefier background processing makes it feel more like a real computer than the iPhone experience.

Camera
    Now for some negatives. Real negative. The camera on the N5 is horrible in use and output. Most seem to think the hardware is fine and it just needs a software update a'la the Moto X (which got a LOT better after a camera-focused update). It can't come soon enough because I find the current camera almost unusable due to poor focus, white balance, and unbearable shutter lag. Panoramas are blurry and undefined (although photosphere is pretty cool). Bad UI in the camera app results in a vastly inferior camera experience compared to iPhones. Even old iPhones are better than the N5.

Speaker
    While the N5 headset quality has been pretty good, and bluetooth in my car is greatly improved over the iP5, the speaker is terrible. It's not loud enough and breaks up well before max volume with even modest bass content. Youtube videos seem to play really quietly while other things are loud enough... just kinda crappy sounding.

Software
    There is no doubt that iPhone has better quality apps, but I'm not a real big app guy these days so not a big deal to me. My bread and butter apps and utilities are all free and work fine on Android.

Consistency in design is certainly worse, but no dealbreakers for me. Voice control is about on par with Siri, although it's not as personal or intelligent (you have to know what commands to say... it won't parse commands from similar phrases). Some annoyances like setting a timer by voice (which I do constantly in the kitchen) for some reason sets an alarm, not an actual timer, so it could be off by up to a minute. Dumb. I miss Spotlight search on the iPhone, but Google Now covers a lot of its territory... it's not quite as fast for finding anything on your phone right now.

I prefer Google's music player moreso than the iPhone's. Faster navigation and better visuals. I WAY prefer Google calendar to iCloud's. Entering in dates and times on Android is a treat compared to the loathsome spinwheels of the iPhone.

But the best part of Android, as Chris said, is customization. It far surpasses even a jailbroken iPhone, and many of the best tweaks are readily available even from the legit Play store. So many ways to launch apps and tweak your home screen... it's really a lot of fun after years of the cat and mouse jailbreak game.

I guess that's about it for now. I really do enjoy Android and the Nexus quite a bit, so I'll be sticking with them for the time being until Apple comes out with something more impressive to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

15. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

It's funny I bought a HTC One Google Play Edition and for the first couple months I loved it. Then I started missing some of the iPhone features. I travel a lot for work and usually used FaceTime to chat with my wife and 8 month old daughter. We could not get Skype or Google Hangouts to give us a usable experience. Also the mail client was a little frustrating as well. I loved the customization but overall the user experience (for my needs) was better with iOS.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Pretty much my experience with the HTC One. Nice hardware, but I spent too much time trying to get it to do the things I wanted it to do, with varying degrees of success.

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Nice write up Dave. I ended up shipping my Nexus 5 back to Google. It was a very capable phone, hardware was nice (that display!), but it was priced a bit too high for a now and again use phone. For those using it as their daily driver, it's hard to beat the value. My on and off again relationship with Android ended sooner than usual. I usually go a few weeks before rushing back into the arms of iOS. This time, the turnaround was relatively quickly. I thought the Nexus 5 would stick -- even picked up a case, screen protectors. I may jump in again at some point. That 14 day return window creeps up quickly and I didn't want to be left with a device that doesn't get enough use to justify the expense.

The cheapo Moto G might also be an option. I wasn't crazy about the Nexus 5 camera, nor the Moto X camera. At least with the Moto G, I'll have no expectations of a great camera. It'll just be a phone for those times when I want a break from Jony Ive's vision of iOS.

18. iPhone_No1Fan

iPhone_No1Fan New Member

This basically sums up why I went iPhone instead of Android lol...

19. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I've always been tempted to try out some of the new offerings such as the Nexus 5. I even like the new HTC One which is a very handsome phone. Then I look at the operating system which is quite flexible but not nearly as easy as iOS to master. I currently have an off contract HTC phone that operates on the Sprint network. I am not sure of the model but it is a fairly inexpensive phone. There are a number of things I find annoying. I am not fond of micro USB plugs because I always end up plugging them upside down first. I also was surprised to find out that there are no decent nav apps on the google play store. I really love my tom-tom app.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Google Maps works fine for me. I don't travel much and $50 is a little steep for an app with bad reviews on the latest update.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app