NFC in iP5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by bams50, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Didn't get to see the keynote and haven't followed closely enough: Did the 5 get NFC?

I have been hoping for it for a long time. Would love to have it!

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Nope. And it's a good thing, too, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

It's never a good thing not to have something like NFC. Complete freedom is my goal with my device, so I jailbreak.

4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Apple has spoken on this:
    It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.”

It also has a lot of security problems.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Why is that? Why is NFC bad? I don't think it is, yeah it has it's flaws but it's a tried and tested technology that you can do thousands of different things with.

6. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

As I read it, he's saying it's a GOOD thing, just written in double negative; in effect saying it's good to have something like NFC. I agree. To the naysayers, why are you against it? Is it because it's relatively new? I understand it's not widely used, but to me it's the way of the future. I'd love to be able to pay at McD's, or dept. stores, or the gas pump with a wave of my phone. I've never been the paranoid tin-foil-hat type; you know, the type that won't buy online because they "don't want my credit card info out there flying around"LOL. I'm sure it will be pretty secure when it is implemented, like everything else: not perfect, but backed up by the issuer/financial institution. So as soon as it becomes available, I'm in! Would love to eventually do away with my debit cards:)

This from a blog at Computerworld (http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/21015/no-nfc-businesss-users-rush-offer-apple-ios-6-passbook-support-iphone-5 ):

So why has Apple failed to adopt NFC? Simply put, it’s because right now the technology is fragmented; there’s an insufficient mass of retailers ready to support it (just 2 percent), and the technology would suck battery life from the device.

I guess that makes sense. I understand it's becoming widely used in parts of Europe though. Hope we get it here soon.

Also would love an app that can hold all my store discount/reward cards that actually works. The one I have now doesn't work anywhere I've tried it. Don't know if it's on the store's end or the app's.

SO much to learn.....

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

NFC isn't that new, though. I know what you're saying about it not being used world-wide, by the time NFC is released we'll all be paying for things with our thumb/fingerprints anyway... :)

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I said its never a good thing NOT to have it, never said it was bad.

Is it double negative? I'm not 100% sure if so I apologize :D

Edit: I see it now, my bad.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

lol. It's ok, I just didn't see how you could say something is bad when it's actually quite good, not refined but still good :p

*hug

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I was replying to Mac, I don't see how that's a bad thing either. And it's been around for sometime now, I'm sure they could make it "safe" they just don't want us to have full control of our device. That's the only thing I hate about Apple. "double hugs"

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I loved NFC when I had it on my Android.. Google Wallet ROCKED when they updated it to use any CC.. Tons of places I frequent had NFC / Google Wallet terminals..