Nike+iPod. Why?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
Why does the iPhone 5s come with the Nike +ipod app? It is stupid to think that such a finely tuned device would come with such a disappointing app. You shouldn't have to purchase a "sensor" in order for this app to work; that's ridiculous. Map my run doesn't need a sensor. Why waste the space with an app that's inferior? Doesn't make sense.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Why does the iPhone 5s come with the Nike +ipod app? It is stupid to think that such a finely tuned device would come with such a disappointing app. You shouldn't have to purchase a "sensor" in order for this app to work; that's ridiculous. Map my run doesn't need a sensor. Why waste the space with an app that's inferior? Doesn't make sense.
I have over 700 miles logged in the nike running+ app. I did not have to buy a sensor and love the app. There are people yah prefer to buy sneakers and sensors, you are free to have your own opinion. I respectfully disagree with it though.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
I am not suggesting the "sensor" app is better.. What I am disappointed with is the fact that I would need to buy a sensor to use the integrated app that comes installed on the iPhone.. You shouldn't have to download anything from the App Store.. That's the point I'm trying to make..

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I am not suggesting the "sensor" app is better.. What I am disappointed with is the fact that I would need to buy a sensor to use the integrated app that comes installed on the iPhone.. You shouldn't have to download anything from the App Store.. That's the point I'm trying to make..
The sensor is included on my phone. It says to walk around to activate it. Nothing to download.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
The Nike sensor came out before phones had some of those capabilities built in. There are lots of fitness apps that will track your run/walk without a separate sensor but the Nike+ deal adds capabilities many of these stand alone programs do not have. For a long time accuracy was best with Nike+ and the sensor.

The bottom line is that Apple integrated Nike+ as a co-marketing deal. You're free to use a non-Nike solution to track your runs so if you don't like the Nike+ solution, try something else. IMHO, this is all much ado about nothing.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
It is about nothing.. I just wanted to know if the standard, integrated Nike+ app that comes on the iPhone 5s can be used without an additional sensor... That's all.. I currently use mapmyrun b/c I wasn't able to calibrate my Nike+ app.. So that's all.. I am indifferent on the app itself since I haven't used it.

Merthod

Jan 29, 2014
So you though they wanted to upsell you. At the beginning you needed the sensor in the shoe but now you don't. However Nike is probably paying Apple to prebundle the app.