Nike+iPod. Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by flatbacks21, Jan 25, 2014.

1. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

Why does the iPhone 5s come with the Nike +ipod app? It is stupid to think that such a finely tuned device would come with such a disappointing app. You shouldn't have to purchase a "sensor" in order for this app to work; that's ridiculous. Map my run doesn't need a sensor. Why waste the space with an app that's inferior? Doesn't make sense.

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I have over 700 miles logged in the nike running+ app. I did not have to buy a sensor and love the app. There are people yah prefer to buy sneakers and sensors, you are free to have your own opinion. I respectfully disagree with it though.

3. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I am not suggesting the "sensor" app is better.. What I am disappointed with is the fact that I would need to buy a sensor to use the integrated app that comes installed on the iPhone.. You shouldn't have to download anything from the App Store.. That's the point I'm trying to make..

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The sensor is included on my phone. It says to walk around to activate it. Nothing to download.

5. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

On the preloaded app or the app downloaded from the App Store?

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The one in my settings.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Preloaded.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1390682470.077375.jpg

8. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

Mine is not calibrating.. Not sure why..

9. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Love the app great for walking w my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The Nike sensor came out before phones had some of those capabilities built in. There are lots of fitness apps that will track your run/walk without a separate sensor but the Nike+ deal adds capabilities many of these stand alone programs do not have. For a long time accuracy was best with Nike+ and the sensor.

The bottom line is that Apple integrated Nike+ as a co-marketing deal. You're free to use a non-Nike solution to track your runs so if you don't like the Nike+ solution, try something else. IMHO, this is all much ado about nothing.

11. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

It is about nothing.. I just wanted to know if the standard, integrated Nike+ app that comes on the iPhone 5s can be used without an additional sensor... That's all.. I currently use mapmyrun b/c I wasn't able to calibrate my Nike+ app.. So that's all.. I am indifferent on the app itself since I haven't used it.

12. Merthod

Merthod New Member

So you though they wanted to upsell you. At the beginning you needed the sensor in the shoe but now you don't. However Nike is probably paying Apple to prebundle the app.

13. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

yes I tried to calibrate sensor and it never activated in my 5s....I'd love to use it!

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Don't you have to walk or run about a mile for it to activate? :)