No 3G for me....

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
So my day starts off at 4:30 am in Oak Brook IL at the outdoor Oak Brook Mall. The Apple employees give us some BS that its against state laws for us to line up before 5 am. So we are just outside the entrance to the mall till about 4:50 am and what would you know, we go from first to 20th....

Well since this is an outside mall, there is obviously a lot of open space. Its raining and there is plenty of shelter along the store fronts, but thats not where the 3G line is, oh no, its right in the middle where the rain is hitting the ground! The rent a cop lets us stand under the shelter for a bit, but then when the rain lightens up, we have to get in the "real" line and stand in the rain.

Now fast forward to 7 am, the rain has stopped, Apple popped for starbucks coffee for all of us and the store manager comes out to prepare us. I pull him aside and explain to him that I have a family plan with 4 phones, 2 of them are v1 iPhones and I'm only replacing mine. I am the head of the account and it IS NOT a cooperate plan. He says I'm fine and to have a great time.

Ok, so 8 am rolls around and the doors open, the Apple employees are making all kinds of noise and the let the first 15 people in. The store manager says that they should all be out within 7 to 10 minutes. Well 7 minutes goes by, then 10, then 15. Finally at 20, no one has left, but the slowly start to get more in. I get in by 8:30 am and ask for one black 16 gig iPhone. All is going great, I'll be in an out in minutes....HA, yeah right. So the Apple agent scans the phone and takes my info and then an error code pops up. He doesn't know what it's about, so he hands me off to a tech. She calls AT&T and after 4 failed attempts at getting ahold of someone, she finally does. The lady says that I have a cooperate account when I do not. So that lady transfers us to cooperate accounts. They say that I do not have a cooperate account, but that I'm not eligible for the lower (299) rate on the phone since I haven't had my iPhone for 18 months... 18 MONTHS?!?!?!? I said lady, the phone has only been out for a year and correct me if I'm wrong, but thats only 12 months. She slowly says, ....yeah.... and puts me on hold till its corrected. She gets back on the phone and says I'm all good.

At the same time the Apple server goes down for 2 1/2 FREAKING HOURS.... Did I mention that the air was not working in the store and it was 90 degrees in there? So, finally the server goes up and guess what, the SAME DAMN PROBLEM, but this time it is with a twist...

The AT&T rep "claims" that I can only upgrade at an AT&T store because I am a current iPhone user and that is what the contract states between Apple and AT&T. So now I demand to talk to her manager and she say no, that she's right and there is no need to talk to her manager, then she wouldn't give me her name. There is nothing the Apple guys can do for me.

So SEVEN FREAKING HOURS later, I walk out of the Apple store with nothing. I starred at that 16 gig box for 3 hours and all for nothing. I walk out to 350 people cheering for me only to tell them that I did not get a phone due to AT&T.

I call my local AT&T store and explain the story to them and they cannot believe what happened. They assured me that I should have had no issues in getting the phone at the Apple store. Then they say that they're sold out, but to come in to do a direct order. I go to the store and the agent there cannot find ANYTHING wrong with my account that would have prevented me from getting this damn phone. So now I have to wait another 1 to 10 days for my phone to come in...

I HATE YOU AT&T, I HATE YOU SOO MUCH, BURN IN HELL FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME TODAY.......

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, AT&T is pretty horrible. And what a waste of a whole day for you! Ouch. You should be compensated by Apple or AT&T somehow man, that's totally unacceptable.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
Man, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me. I have a phone reserved, I'm going to go back at 10pm tonight and try it again.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's, like... gotta be the most painful story of the day. Can anyone top that?

Ouch!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So my day starts off at 4:30 am in Oak Brook IL at the outdoor Oak Brook Mall. The Apple employees give us some BS that its against state laws for us to line up before 5 am. So we are just outside the entrance to the mall till about 4:50 am and what would you know, we go from first to 20th....

Well since this is an outside mall, there is obviously a lot of open space. Its raining and there is plenty of shelter along the store fronts, but thats not where the 3G line is, oh no, its right in the middle where the rain is hitting the ground! The rent a cop lets us stand under the shelter for a bit, but then when the rain lightens up, we have to get in the "real" line and stand in the rain.

Now fast forward to 7 am, the rain has stopped, Apple popped for starbucks coffee for all of us and the store manager comes out to prepare us. I pull him aside and explain to him that I have a family plan with 4 phones, 2 of them are v1 iPhones and I'm only replacing mine. I am the head of the account and it IS NOT a cooperate plan. He says I'm fine and to have a great time.

Ok, so 8 am rolls around and the doors open, the Apple employees are making all kinds of noise and the let the first 15 people in. The store manager says that they should all be out within 7 to 10 minutes. Well 7 minutes goes by, then 10, then 15. Finally at 20, no one has left, but the slowly start to get more in. I get in by 8:30 am and ask for one black 16 gig iPhone. All is going great, I'll be in an out in minutes....HA, yeah right. So the Apple agent scans the phone and takes my info and then an error code pops up. He doesn't know what it's about, so he hands me off to a tech. She calls AT&T and after 4 failed attempts at getting ahold of someone, she finally does. The lady says that I have a cooperate account when I do not. So that lady transfers us to cooperate accounts. They say that I do not have a cooperate account, but that I'm not eligible for the lower (299) rate on the phone since I haven't had my iPhone for 18 months... 18 MONTHS?!?!?!? I said lady, the phone has only been out for a year and correct me if I'm wrong, but thats only 12 months. She slowly says, ....yeah.... and puts me on hold till its corrected. She gets back on the phone and says I'm all good.

At the same time the Apple server goes down for 2 1/2 FREAKING HOURS.... Did I mention that the air was not working in the store and it was 90 degrees in there? So, finally the server goes up and guess what, the SAME DAMN PROBLEM, but this time it is with a twist...

The AT&T rep "claims" that I can only upgrade at an AT&T store because I am a current iPhone user and that is what the contract states between Apple and AT&T. So now I demand to talk to her manager and she say no, that she's right and there is no need to talk to her manager, then she wouldn't give me her name. There is nothing the Apple guys can do for me.

So SEVEN FREAKING HOURS later, I walk out of the Apple store with nothing. I starred at that 16 gig box for 3 hours and all for nothing. I walk out to 350 people cheering for me only to tell them that I did not get a phone due to AT&T.

I call my local AT&T store and explain the story to them and they cannot believe what happened. They assured me that I should have had no issues in getting the phone at the Apple store. Then they say that they're sold out, but to come in to do a direct order. I go to the store and the agent there cannot find ANYTHING wrong with my account that would have prevented me from getting this damn phone. So now I have to wait another 1 to 10 days for my phone to come in...

I HATE YOU AT&T, I HATE YOU SOO MUCH, BURN IN HELL FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME TODAY.......
I know you're upset, but it wasn't AT&T's servers that were crapped out all day long. IF the servers had worked correctly, then you would have known the account issue with plenty of time to get it resolved.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
AT&T had an issue, but the specific Apple store I was at was having local server issues too.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Same here. 5+ hours at Apple and I left with no phone. Kept getting the dreaded "iru" error and At&T didn't know how to fix it. Best of all, At&T charged my account the $18 upgrade fee (even though I didn't get the phone) and when I left the store I look down at my current iPhone to see "no service". The at&T associate who was trying to "fix" my issue apparently screwed something up and my service was cut off. Had to go to AT&T store to get a new SIM card, oh but wait I had to wait 2 hours in line there. Finally get my new SIM card, but guess what? iTunes servers are down when I get home so it takes another 3 hours to re-activate my iPhone.

Apple and At&T screwed this launch up big time

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
It's such a shame that Apple has gotten in bed with AT&T. Damn shame.