No 3G in iPhone.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dllfiles

Jul 11, 2007
For all the people that think that the iPhone supports 3G.

"When we looked at 3G, the chipsets are not quite mature, in the sense that they're not low-enough power for what we were looking for. They were not integrated enough, so they took up too much physical space. We cared a lot about battery life and we cared a lot about physical size. Down the road, I'm sure some of those tradeoffs will become more favorable towards 3G but as of now we think we made a pretty good doggone decision."

Link

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ahh, yeah...I think we knew this. Some goofy blogger suggested that the iPhone secretly had a 3G chipset laying dormant in the phone just waiting for a command from Apple to activate. No one with an IQ above their own shoe size bought into this unsubstantiated silliness. Too many iPhones have been cracked open and inspected for us to be duped by such silly rumors.

:cool:

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Not sure how many of us "...believe the iPhone supports 3G" as we are hoping it might.
Still seems like a questionable decision, but this device is pretty well thought out. I'm still anxious to see what the European version does with 3G. I think it'll be a tragic mistake to try and release this thing anywhere else in the world without 3G. The clock is ticking fast for the EU release of the iPhone with "...chipsets that aren't quite mature..." when it will need to include 3G...

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Ahh, yeah...I think we knew this. Some goofy blogger suggested that the iPhone secretly had a 3G chipset laying dormant in the phone just waiting for a command from Apple to activate. No one with an IQ above their own shoe size bought into this unsubstantiated silliness. Too many iPhones have been cracked open and inspected for us to be duped by such silly rumors.

:cool:

It was actually an idea with some substance behind it. It makes a lot of sense, when you look at the kind of processors that are in the phone. In other words, it's very possible it could work, but no one really knows what the coprocessor is, or if it has one..... I'm not totally sure, haven't been following it too closely.

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
How much BIGGER can the SEARCH BUTTON get? C'mmon guys this is been posted and talked about more than a dozen times.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Exactly thats what im trying to say at every post to remind people "my signature" Same questions over and over but oh well we have to live with the questions and the new people that are lazy

Jul 8, 2007
Can we please stop all the speculation and lost hopes and high hopes of this device. I have one, if it has 3G great if not I will have to fall into Apples trap again and spend another $600 on a new phone in December. Lets all remember what Apple did to wireless N with macbook and macpro. Wireless N laid dormant on all these machines till Apple unvailed their Wireless Extreme.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Exactly thats what im trying to say at every post to remind people "my signature" Same questions over and over but oh well we have to live with the questions and the new people that are lazy

I'm trying to lighten my approach to these people. That's why my reply is just "Okay......"
lol

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

"When we looked at 3G, the chipsets are not quite mature, in the sense that they're not low-enough power for what we were looking for. They were not integrated enough, so they took up too much physical space. We cared a lot about battery life and we cared a lot about physical size. Down the road, I'm sure some of those tradeoffs will become more favorable towards 3G but as of now we think we made a pretty good doggone decision."

Link
Here is a list of the Oldest, Largest, Very Experienced and Most Successful Mobile Phone companies in the World. They all build high speed 3G into their phones and have been doing so for as much as a year.

These are cutting edge companies that disagree with Steve Jobs excuse, and reasoning for making the choice of crippling the iPhone with the older, much slower EDGE. A system that is only as fast as the hardware, yet many Apple supporters who do not understand technology, are blaming AT&T for the slow EDGE network. It's like shooting the messenger. They picked the wrong target.

1) Nokia
2) Samsung
3) Sony Ericsson
4) Motorola
5) LG
6) BenQ-Siemens
7) Dopod
8) HTC
9) O2
10) Vodafone
11) Orange
12) Toshiba
13) Sharp
14) NEC

Each of these companies are thrilled that Steve Jobs alone, decided to seriously cripple the iPhone by equipping it with old, slow, technology. Which at this point continues to give each of them a one up on Apple in terms of connectivity speed. In addition they continue to maintain technical leadership for what, in many cases has already been a year, and based the general context of the statement he made in the link you provided, it may be another year before Steve wakes up and realizes that what he's telling people about the Internet experience on the iPhone is untrue. By that time the others will have moved onto 3.5G and Apple will still be left in the dust. Steve's customers still sitting there waiting for their iPhones to load web pages at painfully slow crawl.

An example is when one takes a Samsung Smartphone like the Blackjack with 3G is compared side by side with the iPhone while each are loading the same web page, the difference in speed is shocking, the Blackjack being so much faster. And speaking of shocking, the iPhone is a $600.00 device vs the $99.00 cost of the Blackjack!

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Can we please stop all the speculation and lost hopes and high hopes of this device. I have one, if it has 3G great if not I will have to fall into Apples trap again and spend another $600 on a new phone in December. Lets all remember what Apple did to wireless N with macbook and macpro. Wireless N laid dormant on all these machines till Apple unvailed their Wireless Extreme.
I agree with you.

However the problem is not the people here and the speculation. The problem is Steve Jobs Ego Centric Reality Distortion Field, from which he makes up incredibly exciting hype. He knows how to sucker people into believing "differently" as one of their old slogans said. Not only does he sucker the customers, but the press, the investors and shareholders, even the analysts. Apple stock goes up the moment Steve opens his mouth.

Then after months or in some cases years of the Legendary Apple Secrecy and Hype, the real product is revealed and as in the case of the iPhone it simply cannot live up to the exceedingly high expectations people have based on the blah, blah, blah, out of Cupertino.

Repeat the lies enough and it becomes peoples reality. This is why instead of holding Apple responsible for the bad decision of using EDGE technology which cripples the iPhone and causes web pages to load at a snails pace, the customers and Apple faithful blame AT&T? Who better to blame? After all, Apple is perfect, Steve Jobs in 100% truthful in the TV ads and it's all AT&T's fault if the iPhone does not live up to the hype. It will be AT&T's fault if anything goes wrong with the device.

All one has to do is to read the reactions to the posts here when the OP says anything about having problems with the device. Immediately the Apple cult like behavior kicks in and the OP is personally attacked, called names, and in general is treated as though this forum is populated by spoiled brat kids.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
All one has to do is to read the reactions to the posts here when the OP says anything about having problems with the device. Immediately the Apple cult like behavior kicks in and the OP is personally attacked, called names, and in general is treated as though this forum is populated by spoiled brat kids.
How's that view up there on your high horse?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I agree with you.

However the problem is not the people here and the speculation. The problem is Steve Jobs Ego Centric Reality Distortion Field, from which he makes up incredibly exciting hype. He knows how to sucker people into believing "differently" as one of their old slogans said. Not only does he sucker the customers, but the press, the investors and shareholders, even the analysts. Apple stock goes up the moment Steve opens his mouth.

Then after months or in some cases years of the Legendary Apple Secrecy and Hype, the real product is revealed and as in the case of the iPhone it simply cannot live up to the exceedingly high expectations people have based on the blah, blah, blah, out of Cupertino.

Repeat the lies enough and it becomes peoples reality. This is why instead of holding Apple responsible for the bad decision of using EDGE technology which cripples the iPhone and causes web pages to load at a snails pace, the customers and Apple faithful blame AT&T? Who better to blame? After all, Apple is perfect, Steve Jobs in 100% truthful in the TV ads and it's all AT&T's fault if the iPhone does not live up to the hype. It will be AT&T's fault if anything goes wrong with the device.

I understand what you're trying to say about the 3G Phones. But there's too many unknowns with 3G. Way too many. I say that because I use to work for a communication company, and I now work at another company doing IT work.

I however don't understand the point to your thread. You're on site, were we all own i-phones. Well most love it, some don't. Why don't you find a Anti-iPhone site and post there. I love my iPhone and wouldn't trade it for 1000 Blackjacks or 1000 razor Vxx's.

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Why don't you find a Anti-iPhone site and post there.
If my post is read completely, one knows that I'm very pro Apple and not anti iPhone. I was 10th in line at the local Apple store to buy my iPhone and even though I did not build it, because it was defective and I returned it, people on this forum said Apple Hater? The second iPhone was also defective. If it was not, Apple would not have exchanged it for a new one. That is why they have a warranty just like other products. Plus, just like the other products they are mass produced and each and everyone cannot be perfect. After all I only paid $600 for it. I did not expect perfection, just a properly working device.

This mistake I made was thinking that this was like any other forum where one goes to share experiences, knowledge, and learn new things from one another about the device or product the forum is focused on.

I'm not afraid to speak out when something is not right, on any product. In fact that's the very purpose of a forum is to share. Every device has it's pros and cons. Since Apple reads these forums, if everyone only talks about the positives there is no way for Apple to know what it's users like and dislike.

I participate as a moderator in some other tech forums, and this iPhone forum is the only one where if you speak freely two things happen.

1) Others Assume you are Anti iPhone
2) You are personally attacked with crude remarks that come from the mouths of people who have no standards, no self confidence or self respect. So they get their kicks by making smart ass remarks.

Frankly this strikes me as quite humorous that so many people have no self control and lack the ability to act like responsible adults. It's very telling of who the iPhone appeals to. Kind of like a kids movie. This is my observation based on the out of control comments from the kiddies. If they had not acted up and spit up, this dialog would be about the iPhone which is what the adults that created this forum meant it to be. However the kids are running out of control and it seems to be perfectly acceptable. Many of them probably don't even own an iPhone.

It's all meaningless anyway, as kids will be kids. No big deal.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Link
GERMANS! ;)

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Oembios,

I think you may be relying strictly on those preliminary reviews from those who had the phones in advance and were using the Edge system before the speed upgrade right prior to launch.

After using this phone hardcore for 2 weeks, I along with many others have concluded that the Edge network for data is not nearly as much of a detriment as we would have first thought. Just about all news type pages as well as forums come up nearly instantly. Youtube videos while at a lower bit rate are still watchable and start reasonably quickly.

The Edge network is available everywhere I have cell phone service so far. Including very rural parts of Oregon. I can take a 3 and a half hour drive away from Portland to central Oregon and the Data works almost the entire trip, except for a couple of short areas where the forest is expecially thick and the roads curvey. In the city, where the 3g is actually available, there a numerous free wifi networks available. Even the city of Portland is installing its own free wifi service. The downtown area and a few miles out are covered with much more planned.

Seems like phones that do the 3G have fairly short battery lives when the 3g is active. Yeah, the Samsung pulls up WAP pages fast enough. And if I directed the iPhone to the same wap pages, it will load them up quickly as well. Most of us are getting 160k speeds or better.

Until 3G has deeper penetration of the ATT network, and until there are more energy and space efficient 3G antennas, and as long as Edge continues to provide the 160k or faster speeds, 3G can wait.

-Jeff

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
Agreed. Well said.