No 3G in iPhone.

elbodude

Jun 29, 2007
For all the people that think that the iPhone supports 3G.

"When we looked at 3G, the chipsets are not quite mature, in the sense that they're not low-enough power for what we were looking for. They were not integrated enough, so they took up too much physical space. We cared a lot about battery life and we cared a lot about physical size. Down the road, I'm sure some of those tradeoffs will become more favorable towards 3G but as of now we think we made a pretty good doggone decision."

Link

..."and we are Apple! Everything we do IS the correct way, whether you like it or not. Our decisons are based on what is best for us, uh...I mean you!

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I enjoyed reading your post as you have brought up some very good points.

Oembios,

I think you may be relying strictly on those preliminary reviews from those who had the phones in advance and were using the Edge system before the speed upgrade right prior to launch.
Actually I did a live test with these smart phones (which I own), all running the Opera mini full web browser, (not WAP) except the iPhone which of course runs Safari.

1) iPhone
2) O2 XDA Zinc 3G (unlocked)
3) Dopod C730 3G (unlocked)
4) Samsung Blackjack SGH-i602 3G (unlocked)

The performance varied from one to the other as even though three out of the four are 3G the speed depends on how they are configured. All were on the AT&T network. It was a very interesting comparison as it's the first time I compared the 02, as I just got that one a week ago. The Dopod I've had about a month and had already compared it to the Blackjack which is the oldest, at about 6 months. The Blackjack was the fastest 3G smart phone I had, until I purchased the Dopod, and O2 XDA.
Now for the speeds. First I will say that I am impressed how fast EDGE is on the iPhone. Compared to my other EDGE smart phones the iPhone was the fastest. So it's obvious that Apple worked closely with AT&T to maximize the performance. However that said, it's still much slower than the fastest 3G smart phone which is the O2 XDA, which is about 3x faster.

After using this phone hardcore for 2 weeks, I along with many others have concluded that the Edge network for data is not nearly as much of a detriment as we would have first thought. Just about all news type pages as well as forums come up nearly instantly. Youtube videos while at a lower bit rate are still watchable and start reasonably quickly.
I agree with your assesment as that was my experience with YouTube.

The Edge network is available everywhere I have cell phone service so far. Including very rural parts of Oregon. I can take a 3 and a half hour drive away from Portland to central Oregon and the Data works almost the entire trip, except for a couple of short areas where the forest is expecially thick and the roads curvey. In the city, where the 3g is actually available, there a numerous free wifi networks available. Even the city of Portland is installing its own free wifi service. The downtown area and a few miles out are covered with much more planned.
I live in California where 3G is nearly everywhere so It's not fair for me to comment on outlying areas, however I do believe you and understand the limitations when it's not avaiable. However all my 3G phones simply revert back to EDGE if 3G is not available, this is where I have a complaint with Apple, is that they should have equipped the iPhone with 3G. All these other phones have it. Apples excuse would be like saying I'm not going to buy a new Corvette because the top speed is 150 mph and it's illegal to go that fast, the speed limit is only 65 or 70mph. Why are the other manufacturers ALL including 3G? because it's the technology of today. I know a company that builds the AT&T towers and infrastructure, they have the 3G contract and in a matter of months the entire USA will have coverage. So it's todays technology being implemented today. Many of us enthusiasts do not keep our phones very long before upgrading, as many of us are early adopters, thereforee we will buy the next iPhone with 3G. However I don't think it's right for the mainstream customer to pay $600 for an iPhone with outdated technology. These are people that on average according to AT&T's statistics, keep their phones 25 months. The AT&T network will be upgraded twice in that time frame, as they have plans to migrate from 3G to 3.5G immediately after the 3G circuit is complete. The 3.5G upgrade will happen very quickly. This is why the current Motorola RAZR V3xx is already equipped with a 3.5G chipset. AT&T have been selling this model for the last few months, as I have one of those as well.

Seems like phones that do the 3G have fairly short battery lives when the 3g is active. Yeah, the Samsung pulls up WAP pages fast enough. And if I directed the iPhone to the same wap pages, it will load them up quickly as well. Most of us are getting 160k speeds or better.
My experience is that while it is very true that 3G consumes more power, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. In addition, it depends on the how its implemented in the phone. The batter life of my 3.5G Motorola RAZR V3xx is much better than the battery life of my new 3G Samsung A717. These phones are probably one of the best examples (of the difference in battery life) as they are nearly identical in features and configuration.

Again if I did not have personal experience with more that 10 3G phones (which I currently own and use), I would not be qualified to speak from experience. However I'm an early adopter and enjoy the latest technology when it comes to cell phones. So I like to try out the latest phones, and I have a large inventory.

Back to the Apple iPhone.
Having been an Apple advocate and customer for 10 years I know their development and product release patterns fairly well. In that time frame I have purchased 8 new PowerBooks, 2 MacBook Pro's, 4 iPods, and currently have the new Nano and 80GB Video iPod. Each and nearly every time the second generation of the product is fantastic. A perfect recent example is last year when the MacBook Pro was first released. Even though I knew that I was taking a risk buying the MBP on the first day it was released I went ahead and bought one. It had the typical overheating issues, noisy humm etc. Again no surprise. Then a month ago I purchased the newest version which has the faster 2.4GB Processor, the new LED back light system and some other upgrades. Now this MBP is really outstanding. A 100% improvement over the original. It's very cool running and quite. It's also super fast and runs Windows natively much faster than my fully loaded ThinkPad, and they both have 4GB memory and the same processor. In fact I'm so impressed with my new MacBook Pro that I plan to keep it a bit longer at about 14 months or whenever Apple comes out with a newer significant upgrade.

This experience is why I am very confident that the 2nd generation iPhone will be an outstanding product. I will be purchasing this version of the iPhone the moment it is released. One would think that by then Apple will have heard enough feedback from it's customers to include 3G at a minimum and hopefully 3.5G which would be the optimum configuration. My feeling is that the 2nd generation iPhone could very well be the most advanced of any second generation product from Apple. Simply because this is their first attempt in the mobile phone space and they did a pretty good job for their first effort.

Cheers

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
..."and we are Apple! Everything we do IS the correct way, whether you like it or not. Our decisons are based on what is best for us, uh...I mean you!
Well done.... 10 points for your great humor!

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I have to disagree with this part. I've had several 3G smartphones and when they are actively using data (downloading webpages one after another, etc...) the battery drain was huge. I could SEE the battery level drop on my Treo 750.

I do think that 3G would have been really good to have, but mainly for the purposes of using the phone as a wireless modem. In those cases the benefit is huge. But for viewing webpages on a mobile device, I think the 3G is vastly overstated (and I've used 3G data on Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint). The iPhone only suffers because it's the first to make viewing full websites effectively. "mobile" websites which I used a lot on other devices basically load about as fast on the iPhone.

I'd like 3G, but I'm happy with the iPhone's tradeoffs for now. It's battery life is far far better than any other smartphone I've used.

I
My experience is that while it is very true that 3G consumes more power, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. In addition, it depends on the how its implemented in the phone. The batter life of my 3.5G Motorola RAZR V3xx is much better than the battery life of my new 3G Samsung A717. These phones are probably one of the best examples (of the difference in battery life) as they are nearly identical in features and configuration.