No Apple Watches in store on April 24

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bballrob, Apr 17, 2015.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Just heard a report on ABC Radio news at the top of the hour that says Apple Watches will NOT be available next Friday. The radio report sounded like there wouldn't be ANY watches coming next Friday, however, the online story I found indicates mail order watches will still arrive, but online orders is the only way to go for now, and even then, most ship dates are out into June at this time.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/plan-line-apple-watch-week-30394935

Here's a transcript of the news story I heard:

"Turns out Apple's next big thing is suffering from some timing problems. Apples Watches won't be arriving next Friday after all. And they won't be available in Apple Stores by then either. The company now says deliveries will begin in June, and the April 24th delivery date has been erased from it's website and replaced with the words 'The Watch is Coming.' Company officials won't say why, but TechLogic's indicating supply problems are to blame. Diehard Apple Fans will just have to drool a little longer. Some analysts say it'll give those on the fence more TIME to think about it."

#1 bballrob, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That's correct. If you pre-ordered, your watch can arrive on April 24th or later, depending on when you ordered. There won't be any in-store sales until June. Supply was low on this one. I'm not surprised at this news, given the lack of difficulty with the order process. This wasn't a sell-out the magnitude of an iPhone release. There was certainly more demand than the supply, as evidenced by the quick move to June availability.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I find it difficult to believe there won't be any watches available on the inaugural Watch day. I find a lot of things difficult to believe though, with about a 50/50 rating so far, so we'll just have to see. Do you think there won't be any lines based on this report?

EDIT: Well, there goes my obviously uninformed theory. :D I'll bet some people still show up on launch day hoping to snag a watch.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I wouldn't say zero lines. A good friend of mine sent me a text yesterday asking if I was going on the 24th. I advised him to pre-order and stay home.

Those folks will be seriously disappointed.

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I think the very purpose of this report was to let people know that lines won't be necessary.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Agreed, but how many will believe and/or heed the message?

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I will.

8. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple's website has also removed the April 24th availability from their website.

10. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Yep. Wonder how many flippers will be waiting in line on the evening of the 23rd. Lol