No bars?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The other day I had the following interesting situation on my iPhone 5. I wanted to blame it on Sandy (the winds were a-blowin' a tiny bit more than usual). I boarded Airplane Mode and then immediately disembarked, and everything was back to normal. Anyone ever experienced a no-bar situation on the iPhone 5 (or other)? Just curious, as I'm not worried about it and I'm considering it as just a fluke.

photo.PNG

John Tierney

Heretic
Bronze
May 1, 2011
Massachusetts
This happened to me a few times with my iPhone 4, getting off a plane. I wouldn't worry about it. Try switching back and forth from airplane mode to see if you can duplicate it again. If its a problem for you Genius Bar trip is needed then. On my way there now to deal with those pretentious, arrogant condescending little bastards. :(

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This happened to me a few times with my iPhone 4, getting off a plane. I wouldn't worry about it. Try switching back and forth from airplane mode to see if you can duplicate it again. If its a problem for you Genius Bar trip is needed then. On my way there now to deal with those pretentious, arrogant condescending little bastards. :(
Really? I thought they were better than that... They sure seem generous when it comes to handing replacement iPhone 5s, based on what I read on here... Then again, I've been lucky and I can count on one hand the times I've had to interact with one of them.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Is this new for you with the 5, or did it happen pre-5?

DISREGARD, I just read John T.'s post above!
Not this frequent thou, maybe once a month I had that happen on any previous models iPhones I owned.

I don't just lose bars, it goes to no service for few seconds in areas I usually get great signal strength.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Not this frequent thou, maybe once a month I had that happen on any previous models iPhones I owned.

I don't just lose bars, it goes to no service for few seconds in areas I usually get great signal strength.
Losing all bars was an anomaly for me and something I don't recall seeing before. "No Service"--I'm accustomed to that. I use "Airplane Mode" nightly instead of "Do Not Disturb"--makes my battery last a few percentage points longer, and making my battery last longer is something I'm OCD about.

I don't believe in "Do Not Disturb" for various reasons, not just prolonging battery juice. Anyone desperate enough to call me twice when I'm sleeping is free to call 911. I'm neither a doctor nor a policeman. Also, I don't have one of these parked in front--

Does it say "Dial 911" or "Dial Rafagon?"

ambulance.jpeg

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Losing all bars was an anomaly for me and something I don't recall seeing before. "No Service"--I'm accustomed to that. I use "Airplane Mode" nightly instead of "Do Not Disturb"--makes my battery last a few percentage points longer, and making my battery last longer is something I'm OCD about.

I don't believe in "Do Not Disturb" for various reasons, not just prolonging battery juice. Anyone desperate enough to call me twice when I'm sleeping is free to call 911. I'm neither a doctor nor a policeman. Also, I don't have one of these parked in front--

Does it say "Dial 911" or "Dial Rafagon?"

View attachment 26097

Attachments

Aug 23, 2012
I just had this happen to me. I came back into here and boom it went to no service. Maybe 15 seconds later I had to access again but I am connected again.

John Tierney

Heretic
Bronze
May 1, 2011
Massachusetts
Really? I thought they were better than that... They sure seem generous when it comes to handing replacement iPhone 5s, based on what I read on here... Then again, I've been lucky and I can count on one hand the times I've had to interact with one of them.
My last few visits have been less than stellar experiences. This visit went very smooth, quite happy.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I had the no bars or cycling of bars issue for several months. I did everything. Reset network settings. Reset phone. Did everything. Ended up being a scored or burnt sim card. I'm in AT&T. When you look at your sim on the copper part if it looks dirty get a new one. I had never removed my sim either. Happens from just connectivity and use.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I had the no bars or cycling of bars issue for several months. I did everything. Reset network settings. Reset phone. Did everything. Ended up being a scored or burnt sim card. I'm in AT&T. When you look at your sim on the copper part if it looks dirty get a new one. I had never removed my sim either. Happens from just connectivity and use.
Even on a new phone? I've only had it for less than 2 months.