No contact search? Please no!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jarrow

Sep 9, 2007
Is the only way to find a contact by scrolling... no search like windows or palm? with over two thousand contacts this is to much... with windows or palm i can find a contact by typing part of the contact info... first or last name ... businesss name etc.

no.... no...PLEASE TELL ME IT'S NOT SO!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Is the only way to find a contact by scrolling... no search like windows or palm? with over two thousand contacts this is to much... with windows or palm i can find a contact by typing part of the contact info... first or last name ... businesss name etc.

no.... no...PLEASE TELL ME IT'S NOT SO!
Closest thing is to touch the letter of your contact's initials on the right hand side of your contact list. It;ll jump to those contacts.;) Hope that helps.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
2 thousand contacts? I'm sure you only use a few of those every day. You might want to try using Favorites and sticking misc contacts into other Groups.... eg Family, Friends, Business Contacts, Frequents, etc.

cmrush

Jun 28, 2007
Use text to find contact

When I need to find a contact I go to text and type the name in and it pops up the contact then I click it and get the phone NO. instead of texting.
try this it works for me

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
When I need to find a contact I go to text and type the name in and it pops up the contact then I click it and get the phone NO. instead of texting.
try this it works for me
Nice find! Never thought of that but you're absolutely right!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Go to SMS text messaging (top left corner icon). When asked for a name for who to text, type in the contact and that will "search" for the name. When you are done, you can click call button again on the top left.

eggdesign

Sep 11, 2007
Sounds like a great tip

Go to SMS text messaging (top left corner icon). When asked for a name for who to text, type in the contact and that will "search" for the name. When you are done, you can click call button again on the top left.
Sounds like a great tip... but it doesn't work for me ... just puts my contact as the recipient of my sms... what am I doing wrong?!?

ok I REALLY want this to work... cause finding contacts has been a pain... but what is this "call button" of which you speak?

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Sounds like a great tip... but it doesn't work for me ... just puts my contact as the recipient of my sms... what am I doing wrong?!?
Only enter the first letter of the first or last name of the contact you want.

However, it seems that if the text you type matches more than one person with a first or last name beginning with that letter, you get a list with names and numbers to choose from (good!). But, if the letter you enter results in only one person having that letter starting the first or last name it just puts the name in the TO field.

If you have any decent number of contacts, this method should work fine, and if you don't, you don't need this method!

eggdesign

Sep 11, 2007
Only enter the first letter of the first or last name of the contact you want.

However, it seems that if the text you type matches more than one person with a first or last name beginning with that letter, you get a list with names and numbers to choose from (good!). But, if the letter you enter results in only one person having that letter starting the first or last name it just puts the name in the TO field.

If you have any decent number of contacts, this method should work fine, and if you don't, you don't need this method!
I have a ton... but a ton of contacts doesn't equal smart (obviously)... :laugh2:
heres what i'm doing:

1) click SMS app
2) create new SMS
3) type first letter of last name
4) see list of related contacts
5) click on desired contact
6) HERE's where I 'm stuck... once I click on the contact only option is to write an SMS...

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I have a ton... but a ton of contacts doesn't equal smart (obviously)... :laugh2:
heres what i'm doing:

1) click SMS app
2) create new SMS
3) type first letter of last name
4) see list of related contacts
5) click on desired contact
6) HERE's where I 'm stuck... once I click on the contact only option is to write an SMS...
The "Call" button only appears *after* you have sent an SMS. Actually, it only appears in the threaded SMS "conversations" that are already saved on the iPhone. If you're starting a txt to someone for the first time, there is no call button. Therefore, this method really doesn't work for searching contacts. If you have a ton of txt threads, then you still have to scroll through all of those to get to the "call" button anyway.

Man...lack of cut and paste and lack of global search...or at least a search within an application...these are pretty appalling shortcomings. These abilities have existed in, like, every other mobile OS for years now...I can't believe they are not in the iPhone OS! I find it even harder to believe that none of the beta testers raised holy hell about the absence of these features. It makes the actual use of the phone very much more difficult, which is exactly what Apple is supposed to be expert at overcoming!

eggdesign

Sep 11, 2007
The "Call" button only appears *after* you have sent an SMS. Actually, it only appears in the threaded SMS "conversations" that are already saved on the iPhone. If you're starting a txt to someone for the first time, there is no call button. Therefore, this method really doesn't work for searching contacts. If you have a ton of txt threads, then you still have to scroll through all of those to get to the "call" button anyway.
thank you, thank you, thank you... the tip is really not that useful (given that you need to have started an sms started)... but at least I know why it wasn't working!