No Contract Required?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mar 7, 2007
Here is what i have been wondering, the price announced (which will hopefully be lower) was given without instant savings, so wouldn't we technically be buying this phone at retail price not needing to renew the 2 or 1 year contract? and if that is not the case and Apple stores and cingular stores are selling for the same price, im gonna go to Apple for Applecare warranty and i highly doubt Apple stores are going to deal with contracts and savings. When this iPhone comes out, does that mean virtually everyone is eligible for upgrade?

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
I know that I am going to have to decide if it is worth it for me to cancel my Verizon subscription and pay that large fee, and then switch over to Cingular. Or, I could just keep two phone services until my contract with Verizon expires in May of 2008! But, I want that phone! I guess I have a few more months to save up, huh?

Mar 31, 2007
I know that I am going to have to decide if it is worth it for me to cancel my Verizon subscription and pay that large fee, and then switch over to Cingular. Or, I could just keep two phone services until my contract with Verizon expires in May of 2008! But, I want that phone! I guess I have a few more months to save up, huh?
That's what I'm doing....haha...my Verizon contract is up May 2008 as well but I figure I'll pay the monthly subscription (rather than the ridiculous contract cancellation fee they love to slap on people) and not ever use that phone and rock out the iPhone....I knew my decision when I realized I can't wait until May 2008 to get an iPhone...although it's probably the wiser path to wait b/c by then the first version will most likely be obsolete already...

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
The other thing I was thinking of was getting the phone and using all the other features until my contract is up, and then activating service with Cingular. But then if I do that I may was well wait for the next model to be released!

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Here is what i have been wondering, the price announced (which will hopefully be lower) was given without instant savings, so wouldn't we technically be buying this phone at retail price not needing to renew the 2 or 1 year contract? and if that is not the case and Apple stores and cingular stores are selling for the same price, im gonna go to Apple for Applecare warranty and i highly doubt Apple stores are going to deal with contracts and savings. When this iPhone comes out, does that mean virtually everyone is eligible for upgrade?
There are rumors going around that the iPhone will be available with or without a contract, and that prices with a contract will be lower (by $100) than the prices without. There are also rumors about special iPhone plans at lower price points. This has not been verified. In all likelihood, and this is me synthesizing what I've read: there will be one set of prices, you must enroll with AT&T, and purchasing it through an AT&T store or an Apple Store won't make any difference as to what plans and insurance you can buy. We'll see what happens.

That's what I'm doing....haha...my Verizon contract is up May 2008 as well but I figure I'll pay the monthly subscription (rather than the ridiculous contract cancellation fee they love to slap on people) and not ever use that phone and rock out the iPhone....
Assuming you have VZW's cheapest plan ($40/month + taxes/fees and no data) you'd pay about $500 for the 11 months from June '07 (iPhone time) through May '08 (when your plan expires), versus about $140 to terminate early. Do as you like, but I'd suggest eating a little crow and going for option B.

-K

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Or option C. Sell your plan to someone. There are sites like this just google one. I can't think of the name right now. Its probably something ridiculously simple like SELLYOURPLAN.com :p

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
We have two phones on our plan, so I have to see exactly whether I should keep my boyfriends phone on it's own (since he doesn't want to switch) or if they will charge 2 cancellation fees, etc. I have a feeling they will try and charge an me as mush as possible. And I made my boyfriend switch from Sprint last year to be on Verizon's plan with me for the mobile-to-mobile minutes, so I have a feeling he won't be too willing to switch again! :)

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
We have two phones on our plan, so I have to see exactly whether I should keep my boyfriends phone on it's own (since he doesn't want to switch) or if they will charge 2 cancellation fees, etc. I have a feeling they will try and charge an me as mush as possible. And I made my boyfriend switch from Sprint last year to be on Verizon's plan with me for the mobile-to-mobile minutes, so I have a feeling he won't be too willing to switch again! :)
If he loves you, he will switch.....right? ;)
just kidding!

VOx-Pop

Apr 7, 2007
If Apple really plans on shifting 10 Millon or more iPhones (a figure I heard on some Apple fanboy site or other... or possibly the Wall Street Journal!) they'll have to come up with something special when it comes to voice+data plans.

The fact is that most phone users don't have data plans, and will be shocked by how much they cost per month compared to a standard phone. That alone will be enough to put people off, when combined with the high initial cost of the phone.

I'm guessing Apple has thought of all of this, and will have something special arranged. Possibly 1 year of voice+data service included in the purchase price?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Ok heres my take: If Apple/AT&T allows EXISTING AT&T Customers to simply put their sim card Into the iPhone, then I don't see why someone couldn't simply buy a CINGULAR GO PHONE and put the simcard in. Never use any minutes and use it for Internet where there is WIFI and listening to music. Any thoughts?

Mar 7, 2007
Ok heres my take: If Apple/AT&T allows EXISTING AT&T Customers to simply put their sim card Into the iPhone, then I don't see why someone couldn't simply buy a CINGULAR GO PHONE and put the simcard in. Never use any minutes and use it for Internet where there is WIFI and listening to music. Any thoughts?
because it takes away from the whole point of only having one device that seamlessly fits into anyones kind of lifestyle. me myself, i don't personally use the mobile internet that much, i just check the weather, but to reply to someone else, Cingular/AT&T has recently added another data package to their service everyone might want to check out, its call Smartphone Connect, for $20 a month you get unlimited mobile internet capability, they added it to their service when the iPhone was announced. plus, both phones use the same minutes so minus well just use the iPhone for calls also.