no! Dead pixel!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I think I have a dead pixel... Its really small but I really notice it when I'm watching videos and stuff... Is it not that big of deal? Att won't replace it huh? Wat about Apple? Lemme know okay guys thanks..
:)
Dead or stuck pixels are commonplace on LCD displays. I just live with them - I have one on a Germen GPS and one on an expensive 20" Samsung computer display. I wouldn't worry about one on an iPhone, but thats just me.

You could try taking it back to Apple - you never know...

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
You waited this long to get your iPhone and they sold you a lemon? I'd return it in a heartbeat! Seriously though, dead pixels are a fact of display screens - can happen out of the box or later. If they are not eye-catching, you can try to ignore them. Personally, I'm too fastidious to live with it.:)

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
first off she is past the 30 day return policy.... and no its not a lemon... its an lcd screen.... that kind of stuff happens... you go out and buy yourself a bag of chips... if you get home and one is broken do you return them... no.... lcd screens have pixels die... $5000 sony xbr5 tvs already have dead or stuck pixels... just a fact of life.... but you could go try to see if Apple will do anything for you... most likly not but its worth a shot...

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
my mistake maybe she did just get it... ive seen her posting for much more than a month but i just noticed her sig.... if its within the 30 days than you should be able to just swap it out

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Most manufacturers define 15 pixels or less as being fine. During the QA process, they would have seen this dead pixel and still passed it. You will be hard pressed to get Apple to replace the phone. If you do, great, but I doubt if they will.

I've have purchased many LCD screens in the past with dead pixels, but these stores have good return policies (unlike Apple) and they have exchanged the displays without any issues.

But I know what you mean, a dead pixel is an eye sore and you cannot help looking at it all the time!

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i have gone through many iPhones that have had dead or stuck pixels and each time i brought it into the Apple store, i always got it replaced.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Dead Pixels on a $5000 TV or $400 iPhone is NOT the same as a broken chip in a bag of chips. Why should one person have 100% pixels working and pay $400 and another have 99% of the pixels working and pay the same? Hell no..I wouldent take no for an answer. I would take is as far as possilble.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Dead Pixels on a $5000 TV or $400 iPhone is NOT the same as a broken chip in a bag of chips. Why should one person have 100% pixels working and pay $400 and another have 99% of the pixels working and pay the same? Hell no..I wouldent take no for an answer. I would take is as far as possilble.
The chip analogy was used to explain the point.

As has been mentioned many times, dead pixels are an unfortunate byproduct of the technology. It happens, and there's nothing you can do to get around it. Some people are going to be bothered by it, while others aren't.

If you have a problem with the possibility of getting a device which has a dead pixel, then perhaps you shouldn't bother taking that chance and buy something else, otherwise deal with it.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
See I would go take it to an Apple store but there isn't any close around me.. I live in Bakersfield,ca and the closest one to me is about 2hrs away
If there's anything I've observed about you from previous posts, you're persistent.... Use that to your advantage...just think of it like you went for a drive in the country...if that can be said of anywhere in Kali! :)

BTW, the reference to your iPhone as a lemon in my previous post under this thread was just an hyperbole, which the person posting after me, unfortunately, missed. I did not mean to cause you any grief over the dead pixel on your iPhone. But if it bothers, and I can tell it does, see if you can get a replacement. What's the worst that can happen?

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
if it is a dead pixel, I would say go ahead and exchange it for another one.

if it is stuck, i just keep it and don't bother with the hassle. the "new" one they give you will probably have the some stuck pixels or develop it down the road. Its the harsh reality of LCD screens.

I'm on my 5th iPhone from Apple and this unit im using is brand new straight from an unopen box they got off their shelf and it has manged to develop a couple of stuck pixels. All the others i had ,also had stuck pixels among other problems. I learned to live with it, cant even see them unless im actively looking for it.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
If it's a stuck pixel you might try this:

http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/

It worked for me. I had a stuck pixel and ran this for about an hour to heat up the screen then applied slight pressure next to the pixel and it fixed it.

Hope this helps.
I know I'm resurrecting a super old thread, but I just wanted to say for anyone that has a stuck pixel, this really worked!

i had a stuck pixel pop recently and I ran this for a few minutes (I had already been using the phone for over an hour before) and it didn't seem to be doing anything. but I applied a steady light pressure on the glass for a few seconds and its gone!