No email on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Booyow1204, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

So got my new iPhone the girl at the Apple store that helped me said I could have all my settings/messages/etc. I could just restore from back up. Now I did all those things but I still don't have email on my phone. I have Yahoo and it keeps prompting me for my password. I enter it once and it asks for it again and again. Hours after my new phone is all set up and ready to go still no email ;(.

Anybody have an issue like this before? Is there something up w/yahoo servers that I'm not aware of? Any advice is appreciated

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here are a few suggestions. Hopefully, one of them with work. Test your email after each step and move on to the next if it doesn't work.
    1. Shut off Private browsing in Safari.
    2. Delete the Yahoo email from your account, close the email app, then add it back in.
    3. Delete the Yahoo email from your account and add it back in, but don't select Yahoo. Instead select "Other" and add all the details manually.

3. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Ok I tried all three of these and no success ;(. The error message i get says Yahoo server unavailable (which i have not gotten before) On the last step you listed I get stuck after I put in my info it asks me what incoming and outgoing mail server are and the fields require more info I'm not sure about.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Select POP and input these settings. If it works, you'll have to use fetch for now.

• Incoming Mail server host name: pop.mail.yahoo.com

• Outgoing Mail Server host name: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

5. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Ok Europa, thank you for helping me but I tried all of the above still couldn't get it to work so I gave up last night and went to bed.

I tried it this morning just the normal way (using my password when the prompt showed) and I entered it and I got all my emails.

I'm thinking it was just a server thing cause it reset overnight. Maybe Yahoo! Isn't as compatible as it used to be.

6. smelton3

smelton3 Member
    Bronze

Glad you got it taken care of. I received my phone on launch day and had the same issue but it was with gmail and yahoo. I had to go to my computer and change my password then put the new password in and it worked.
    The only real pain was doing updating of the passwords to both my iPad and iPhone4s that I am now using as an iPod touch.

Sent from my iPad 3 or "new" iPad or whatever...using iCafe app

7. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

My guess is it may be something w/the activation or something. Since you had the same prob on launch day that might be the reason.

8. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Nicely done, I'm glad you got it working...

I would suggest you get a Gmail account and forward your Yahoo emails to it. You can also export Calendar and Contacts from Yahoo and import them into Gmail.

Gmail has a MUCH better spam\junk protection over Yahoo. Just saying :)

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

9. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I agree..., I kept having a lot of trouble with Yahoo on my iPhone. I got assigned a att address with them when I switched to U-verse. But yahoo was such a pain with unreliable email pushes, that I finally gave it up. Gmail does work much better.

10. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Forwarding may not be a bad idea. I've had my Yahoo address for quite awhile and it's hard just to switch it over and leave it. I already have a Gmail address as I opened up a second one a little while ago. Wasn't aware that you could just have it forwarded. Can that be a permanent setting?

11. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Yes.. It's just setting up a Rule in Yahoo. Also gmail has the ability to reply to a email that was meant for yahoo. It takes a few minutes but it will reply to a yahoo mail in it, saying sent via gmail or something like that.

12. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Neat. I'll look into it and if I get fed up w/Yahoo that will be another option.

13. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Booyow1204, since GMail does a better job of handling spam\junk, over the next few weeks, check your GMail's spam\junk folder just in case something from Yahoo which you 'might' want to see ends up in there. Of course you can set it to allow, etc. etc.

14. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Zealot
    Silver

My friend and I were having the same problem as it seems to happen with yahoo mail. I spent the whole day trying to figure out what was wrong. Every time I entered my info in mail I kept getting a pop up advising me to log in to yahoo an. Verify my account. Anyways nothing seem to work until I tried it the second day and as soon as filled my info yahoo worked again. Weird!

Sent from my white 32gb iPhone 5 using iCafe app

15. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I had the same problem I did a soft reset and signed into my yahoo account again and its been fine since..

16. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Another girl from work that has the iPhone 5 was having the exact same problem I had. A guy in our dept was able to fix hers. She also has Yahoo mail. I see a big pattern here.

17. JanL

JanL Member
    Bronze

My husband and I had the same issue. I deleted the email account on the phone. Then put it back it. I then got a prompt to login to Yahoo account to verify (on pc). After doing this the email was pushed to our phones.

18. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Maybe that's why it took me so long to get mine to work. When it was giving me probs I never thought to log on my email on my pc.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am now having push email to my iPhone 5 problems even worse on iOS 7.0.4. I removed the account from the iPhone and put it back. I logged into the email on my computer. But sadly, I still have to manually check it on my iPhone. I also just changed it from push to fetch. Same issues now with push back on.

20. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Yahoo Mail has been having a devil of a time recently maintaining service. Additionally, Yahoo now requires SSL for Mail servers. You might have to change this setting manually within your Yahoo Mail account in your iPhone. Previously, and until very recently, Yahoo did not use SSL. So it you restored from a previous backup the old non-SSL settings may have been applied. Or it may just be Yahoo screwing the pooch recently.

Sent using iCafe app