No Flash on iPhone confirmed by Jobs himself

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Was just reading that a little while ago too. Flash comments seem to pretty clearly shut the door for now. The apps in summer comment is more like open the speculation floodgates (again) on how we all interpret it ...

pab277

Aug 1, 2007
when steve said "there will be a lot of apps by summer", i took it as "the SDK will be released Thursday, and by the time summer rolls around developers have already developed a lot of apps"

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
ugh! Good find. Some how I can never get the breaking news out first,. Someone always beats me to the punch when will I ever get my thanks for bringing fresh news!? Time shall tell

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
This article includes some more quotes from Jobs:

No Flash for iPhone - Jobs

On one hand, I try to be optimistic and take these statements at face value. So this tells me there just isn't something there... yet. Adobe could very well come out with that middle version of a flash player optimized for handhelds, or specifically for the iPhone. On the other hand, why would he make a negative statement on the status of Flash on iPhone if they were going to come out with a solution soon.

I agree with the comment on the SDK and applications. I think he's just saying by the time summer is here there will be a lot of applications available.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
What exactly do we need Flash for again? I can't think of any highly trafficked site with great Alexa ratings that uses Flash for more than Banners, or an inline movie or two.

I mean the only sites that rely on flash are Movie promotional sites and the kind made by new web designers that don't know how to code. Sure there are a few Flash-Application type sites, but even those are quirky on desktops that don't meet their specs. The streaming video aspect of Flash is still it's bread and butter, and thats precisely what we got with the YouTube conduit.

The industry is moving over to the h264 codec which is inline with what the iPhone can already handle, so having access to robust streaming media will always be there for iPhone users.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
What exactly do we need Flash for again? I can't think of any highly trafficked site with great Alexa ratings that uses Flash for more than Banners, or an inline movie or two.

I mean the only sites that rely on flash are Movie promotional sites and the kind made by new web designers that don't know how to code. Sure there are a few Flash-Application type sites, but even those are quirky on desktops that don't meet their specs. The streaming video aspect of Flash is still it's bread and butter, and thats precisely what we got with the YouTube conduit.

The industry is moving over to the h264 codec which is inline with what the iPhone can already handle, so having access to robust streaming media will always be there for iPhone users.
Some sites are not useable if you do not have flash. Just an example bmwusa.com uses flash, throughout the site, on the iPhone its basically a useless sites, the menus don't work etc.

I know there are plenty of other sites like that as well.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I for one would like to be able to use ebaums world. I can't enter some of my favorite bands websites because of this problem. How bout file cabby?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I guess the guy that posted that rumor on gearlive about flash being imminent on the iPhone feels really special now :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Some sites are not useable if you do not have flash. Just an example bmwusa.com uses flash, throughout the site, on the iPhone its basically a useless sites, the menus don't work etc.

I know there are plenty of other sites like that as well.
Point taken.

However, if you're persistent on getting that information in a portable fashion, just browse the site on your Desktop and bookmark the pages you frequently reference so you can sync them with your iPhone's bookmarks.

In defense of the iPhones lackluster performance on that front, I have to put much of the blame on the bmwusa.com website. Its built poorly, especially with regards to GoogleBot, which spiders the site to determine its relevance to queries on BMWs and the like. If you've got a flash navigation menu then you *should* have the foresight to add a standard web link to a Site Map, which any browser can access and use to navigate the site, including the all important GoogleBot.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i don't see what the harm would be in implementing flash lite. What annoys me is my iPhone can't even view a animated radar showing the direction a storm is moving. Heck my POS moto Q could do that. Sometimes I when I'm out and about I need to see things like that.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
i don't see what the harm would be in implementing flash lite. What annoys me is my iPhone can't even view a animated radar showing the direction a storm is moving. Heck my POS moto Q could do that. Sometimes I when I'm out and about I need to see things like that.
I agree, in this respect, then I could view YTMNDs that I get emailed.

However, what I'm surprised we haven't seen more of, yet, is pushing Ajax in a new direction on the iPhone to compensate for a lack of flash when it comes to displaying robust informational media.

Its just these sort of walls that developers need to really push the boundaries of whats possible. I think some of the more creative web apps that have come out are a testament to overcoming these limitations, but at the end of the day, it still isn't flash unfortunately :p

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree, in this respect, then I could view YTMNDs that I get emailed.

However, what I'm surprised we haven't seen more of, yet, is pushing Ajax in a new direction on the iPhone to compensate for a lack of flash when it comes to displaying robust informational media.

Its just these sort of walls that developers need to really push the boundaries of whats possible. I think some of the more creative web apps that have come out are a testament to overcoming these limitations, but at the end of the day, it still isn't flash unfortunately :p
totally agree and maybe that is why Apple is holding out on flash for the iPhone. Trying to strongarm developers in a different direction than Flash. I agree that Flash is not (yet) ideal for a moblie platform and can see Jobs' reasoning, but I still don't like it

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Point taken.

However, if you're persistent on getting that information in a portable fashion, just browse the site on your Desktop and bookmark the pages you frequently reference so you can sync them with your iPhone's bookmarks.

In defense of the iPhones lackluster performance on that front, I have to put much of the blame on the bmwusa.com website. Its built poorly, especially with regards to GoogleBot, which spiders the site to determine its relevance to queries on BMWs and the like. If you've got a flash navigation menu then you *should* have the foresight to add a standard web link to a Site Map, which any browser can access and use to navigate the site, including the all important GoogleBot.

I agree with you that its definitely not the best built site, I was just using an example, for the longest time my work laptop would not allow flash and it drove me nuts, there are so many sites that use it.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
while I agree that flash takes a big toll on the CPU, I still think the real reason for not including flash is because Apple wants to maintain user interface control. How would they possibly control what happens when you click a flash object. How would the phone determine if I wanted to pan around the page or move a movable object? you would need a new button that said "now I want to control flash" and "now I want to control phone".