No Google maps on iPod Touch.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Anyone notice that google maps is mysteriously absent on the iPod touch?

Why?

Kind of sucks since this is one of the coolest features for my iPhone. Man I loove having Google maps on my phone, and it's integrated so well with the phone and Safari. It would suck not being able to use it.

Two thoughts:
They are either sticking it to the iPod Touch owners
or:
They are going to include flash so Touch owners can use google maps in the safari browser
(and they will be sticking it to the iPhone owners, unless they give us flash too.)

I'll bet Google maps will be one of the first applications the hackers are going to add to the Touch.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Anyone notice that google maps is mysteriously absent on the iPod touch?

Why?

Kind of sucks since this is one of the coolest features for my iPhone. Man I loove having Google maps on my phone, and it's integrated so well with the phone and Safari. It would suck not being able to use it.

Two thoughts:
They are either sticking it to the iPod Touch owners
or:
They are going to include flash so Touch owners can use google maps in the safari browser
(and they will be sticking it to the iPhone owners, unless they give us flash too.)

I'll bet Google maps will be one of the first applications the hackers are going to add to the Touch.
why would u use that on wifi.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I have never used google maps on wifi, only edge when I am not able to get wifi. Makes sense to me since touch has no edge. If you need a map you can use safari to access google maps.

teufel657

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
The idea of google maps on the iPhone is that you can use EDGE to access them from anywhere. With the Touch not having EDGE, only wifi, you are limited to hot spots. This eliminates 99% of the time people actually need a map on their phone.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
The idea of google maps on the iPhone is that you can use EDGE to access them from anywhere. With the Touch not having EDGE, only wifi, you are limited to hot spots. This eliminates 99% of the time people actually need a map on their phone.
nicely said. Ya, he i right. The ability of maps on the touch would be useless. which i also think youtube is pointless on the touch. Am i gonna sit in my house by a computer and watch videos on my ipod. I don't think so.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
The idea of google maps on the iPhone is that you can use EDGE to access them from anywhere.
I respectfully disagree. How you choose to use Google Maps differs from how I might choose to use Google Maps. I don't think there's a "right way" to use it. I hope Apple isn't trying to dictate how people use the tool on the iPhone. The point is that you should have the tool whenever you DO have internet.

The iPhone is not what made Google Maps the most popular internet map service in the world. Google Maps has been chained to the desk for years, but that didn't stop it. It was innovation that made it the most popular. Most of that innovation doesn't work within the Safari browser. You need the widget. The fact that it became available for phones was the cherry on top. Apple had the potential to have a device that could access google maps in more locations than someone's home or workplace. If I had the Touch, and I met my friends at the local coffee shop and we wanted to go to some new hot club, I would like to use my Touch to look it up on the internet and map it with Google Maps. I do that now with my iPhone. Sure I can currently access the maps while I'm driving now with my iPhone, but that doesn't do my friends any good in their cars unless they are following me, and quite often, they aren't. So if I had the touch, my situation would be EXACTLY like the situation that my friends currently have with my iPhone: they have access to the map inside the coffee shop, but they don't have access to it on the way. Are they glad that I have Google Maps even though they don't have access to it while they are driving? Of course! They had access to the map earlier and they were able to write down the directions. Isn't that better than not having the map at all?

Someone is going to mod their Touch to add the google maps widget within the first few weeks. Mark my words.

With the Touch not having EDGE, only wifi, you are limited to hot spots. This eliminates 99% of the time people actually need a map on their phone.
By saying that 99% of the time people will use their Touch they won't have access to Google Maps you are also saying that they won't have access to the internet at all. You are saying that 99% of the time people are using their Touches they won't have access to the internet. That is NOT how Apple is marketing the Touch. They are marketing it as an internet device with an iPod, not an iPod that can get on the internet 1% of the time.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
nicely said. Ya, he i right. The ability of maps on the touch would be useless. which i also think youtube is pointless on the touch. Am i gonna sit in my house by a computer and watch videos on my ipod. I don't think so.
The beauty of wifi isn't that you can use the internet at home. It's that you can connect to the internet ANYWHERE. My friends LOVE to watch YouTube videos on my iPhone in coffee shops.

cherry ghost

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I agree with smartaix. People don't just use google maps while on the road looking for directions. I primarily use google maps for ideas on restarants or other shops while walking around a city like nyc or sf. Yes, google maps is better with edge but also great with just wifi. It will definitely be on the iPod touch, either officially or a mod version.

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
I made a website which gives you all of the features of the iPhone Google maps program plus some more.

Being that the iPod touch uses Wifi the performance of the website should be fine.

The website is www.iTouchMap.com .

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
I made a website which gives you all of the features of the iPhone Google maps program plus some more.

Being that the iPod touch uses Wifi the performance of the website should be fine.

The website is www.iTouchMap.com .

Wow, this is a great application! I have an iPhone, so its practically useless to me lol! But I wanted to check it out. This is a great alternative to google maps for iPod touch owners!

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
Thanks for the nice responses.

Yesterday me and my son were shopping for an iPod touch.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361736

We were using the map based service of iTouchMap.com and it was very slow over Edge. It was like a zoo trying to switch back and forth calling stores and accidentally touching the screen causing the map program to re-center ...

So...

There is is a new feature that I think even the iPhone people will like on www.iTouchMap.com which will give you text based local search results with automatic phone dialing with a tap of the screen. I know the iPhone has an excellent maps service but I think there is a place for this one as well. iPod touch users also should like it. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Al, www.iTouchMap.com