No Incoming Calls over EDGE with Push Email On

retailoil

Nov 10, 2008
I wanted to make sure I'm correct on this. If I have 3G turned off and Push turned on, I cannot receive any incoming calls...they go directly to vmail. As soon as I turn push email off, I can receive incoming calls over EDGE. Is this the same with everyone?

Thanks

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Calls will go to voicemail only if data is in the process of being transferred at the same time. Simply having Push enabled will not cause this to happen all of the time.

This is not specific to the iPhone - the EDGE standard doesn't allow for enough bandwidth for voice and data transfer at the same time, so data use on any phone on EDGE will send calls to voicemail.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It would be no different than if you were connected via edge and were using safari. Your calls would go to VM in this case too.

retailoil

Nov 10, 2008
Understand, but it seems the Push feature is never releasing itself on my phone since the incoming calls always go to vmail when the feature is set to ON even though no new email is coming through at the time the incoming call comes in. Anything else I could check around the Push setting to see if it is on perpetually or something? (I am pushing exchange, gmail, and yahoo mail accounts)

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Wow lots of email accounts. Do you have a ton of emails all the time or are there only a few emails that come into your phone a day. It could be that if your getting emails all the time, the phone is just getting data all the time...

memon01

Mar 5, 2010
basebands?

Does anybody have an idea on whether it could be a baseband issue? I mean if all other company phones can work on the same network (I have a nokia and a blackberry which both drop their push mail data traffic for incoming calls as well) I would assume its a firmware or a baseband issue for the iPhone. Now if people on the old iPhone configurations could confirm if they still face this issue maybe we can get a clue on what can be done.