No insurance for iPhone 3G?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I just found out that you can not get insurance from AT&T or Apple for the iPhone 3G. If something happens to it, you are responsible and have to just replace it. :mad:

I read somewhere in a post on this site where someone had some type of insurance on their iPhone. I think it was home or apartment insurance.

Can someone help me with this. Does anyone here have any type of insurance for their iPhone and will get it for the new iPhone 3G as well?

This is very distrurbing news :eek: and I've got to find something out stat so whatever the outcome I can get started asap.

Thanks again everyone!

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
if I recall correctly, AT&T does not offer insurance on any smart phone. There was no insurance offered in the first iPhone. You could get an Apple care warranty extension, but thats about it.... from AT&T or Apple that is.

mark34

Mar 11, 2008
Insurance on smartphones went away for many carriers some time ago.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
I found on the AT&T site the tilt but no iPhone.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thank you guys. I called Apple and they offer a 1 year coverage that does not cover loss, damage or theft. It does cover softare problems and mechanical problems like if the phone wigs out o you but that's it. You can buy an additional year of this coverage for $70 and that is it.

The Apple rep told me that a repair would depend on what had to be done and the price she qupoted me for the broken screen was $199 + that made the final repair price $299.

If it is lost or stolen or broken by you, there is nothing except if you buy it with an American Express card and i think that is limited also. I don't have the card so i don't know if they completely cover your purchase or if they will replace it if it is broken.

It is crazy! They should rethink this. If your phone is stolen they should require a police report and replace it with a new model. That would be a good start if nothing else. Geez! Give us a break!

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
yeah very bad situation for someone to be in.....all the more reason to be extra careful

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
you can also call your auto insurance agent and add a personal articles policy to insure the iPhone.. a lot of us did that last year..

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm just don't agree with people complaining because AT&T does not offer insurance for the iPhone or other smartphones.

It is not their responsibility to keep them from getting lost, stolen, or otherwise abused. It is just good businesss on their part not to offer insurance. Insurance can be easily abused. For example, I drop my iPhone, crack the screen, "accidentally" drop it in the lake when out on my boat and report it lost. That qualifies as a lost phone. My fiance actually dropped hers in the lake on accident and got hers replaced. Hers was a cheapy flip phone though. Replacing a cheapy flip phone is a little different than an iPhone.

The thing I don't like is having to pay full retail if I do lose my phone or have it stolen. They won't offer it at the subsidized price to replace it. I've never had insurance on a phone though and never will. I've never in almost 10 years had an instance where I needed it. If i had insurance on all the phones I have had it would be way more than the cost to replace my iPhone if I lose it. I'd rather have the money in my pocket instead of going to straight profit for AT&T.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
It is crazy! They should rethink this. If your phone is stolen they should require a police report and replace it with a new model. That would be a good start if nothing else. Geez! Give us a break!
ok, your starting to get a bit carried away.. a police report over a stolen or lost phone.. cmonnn..

your serioulsy going to dial 911 because your phone is missing.. i think the police actually may have more important things to worry about (although i second guess this when i see them sitting around at donut shops and hiding behind treens with speeds guns) but you get the point

and with insurance, will come wayyyy too much fraud.. such as lying about losing your phone, to get a new one.. then sell it on ebay.. etc etc.. insurance is a very profitable businesss, but it can also be a horrible businesss if its easy to get away with fraud, and in the cell phone businesss, that would be allll too easy

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok, your starting to get a bit carried away.. a police report over a stolen or lost phone.. cmonnn..

your serioulsy going to dial 911 because your phone is missing.. i think the police actually may have more important things to worry about (although i second guess this when i see them sitting around at donut shops and hiding behind treens with speeds guns) but you get the point

and with insurance, will come wayyyy too much fraud.. such as lying about losing your phone, to get a new one.. then sell it on ebay.. etc etc.. insurance is a very profitable businesss, but it can also be a horrible businesss if its easy to get away with fraud, and in the cell phone businesss, that would be allll too easy
actually if a phone is stolen they do require a police report. if its lost, then there would be no police report as no crime was committed. Never dial 911 to file a police report for a stolen phone. 911 is only for emergencies. for minor things like that you can walk into the police station, talk to an officer and they will file a report for you. Most likely they won't go through an investigation but they should give you a report to turn over to the insurance company.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com

your serioulsy going to dial 911 because your phone is missing.. i think the police actually may have more important things to worry about
Nextel actaully requires a police report for a stolen phone
and you don't call 911 you go down to the station and fill out a report
also local police really don't have anything better to do, most of there day consists of driving around aimlessly and bothering innocent minorities

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008

I am not getting carried away. I live in an area and travel through an area where this is something that can happen and I want to be covered somehow some way. That is not being a bit carried away at all. If someone holds me up at gun point, or slaps or punches me in the face or I go through some altercation so that the end result is my expensive a** iPhone gets stolen, yeah, i want coverage for that. People should not be afraid to buy things and own them, but in case something happens that is beyond their control, they should be covered somehow. I'm not saying free iPhone, if they want me to pay something to replace my phone that i reported to the police was stolen along with whatever assault, then i'd do it. I just want that considered.

BTW I never said i wanted to create a police report for a lost phone, only if it were stolen from me. Yeah, a crime should be reported and yeah I would march right in to the police station and report it if i had an item stolen from me like that unless they were already on the scene.

I do understand people lie and there is insurance fraud and such, but there has to be a happy medium. Me paying retail price after going through being assulted is just pouring salt in the wound and that is not fair.

I know this seems far fetched to some of you, but it can and has happened. Just thought this was something old Stevie would have thought of, people don't have money pouring out of their butts. Well most of us don't anyway.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I am not getting carried away. I live in an area and travel through an area where this is something that can happen and I want to be covered somehow some way. That is not being a bit carried away at all. If someone holds me up at gun point, or slaps or punches me in the face or I go through some altercation so that the end result is my expensive a** iPhone gets stolen, yeah, i want coverage for that. People should not be afraid to buy things and own them, but in case something happens that is beyond their control, they should be covered somehow. I'm not saying free iPhone, if they want me to pay something to replace my phone that i reported to the police was stolen along with whatever assault, then i'd do it. I just want that considered.

BTW I never said i wanted to create a police report for a lost phone, only if it were stolen from me. Yeah, a crime should be reported and yeah I would march right in to the police station and report it if i had an item stolen from me like that unless they were already on the scene.

I do understand people lie and there is insurance fraud and such, but there has to be a happy medium. Me paying retail price after going through being assulted is just pouring salt in the wound and that is not fair.

I know this seems far fetched to some of you, but it can and has happened. Just thought this was something old Stevie would have thought of, people don't have money pouring out of their butts. Well most of us don't anyway.
i completely agree with you.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

as brilliant as Steve Jobs is, he is no Bill Gates. The only interest he has in our wallets is how much of it is pouring out of our butts and into his hands. there will never be a Jobs foundation like there is a Gates Foundation or whatever his charity is called.

EDIT: oh, and even if he did care, this is something controlled by AT&T. The pricing structure for the new iPhone, all plan related pricing, and contracts, etc. are AT&T controlled. Insurance is always, when offered, offered through the carrier, not the manufacturer. Apple is now like every other manufacturer is to AT&T (Samsung, LG, HTC, Moto, Pantech, etc.). The only diff. is they are still allowed to sell their phones in their retail store and activate them there.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Just use your bloody credit card for purchasing your iPhone and use the insurance that comes with that, should your iPhone get lost.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
as brilliant as Steve Jobs is, he is no Bill Gates. The only interest he has in our wallets is how much of it is pouring out of our butts and into his hands. there will never be a Jobs foundation like there is a Gates Foundation or whatever his charity is called.

EDIT: oh, and even if he did care, this is something controlled by AT&T. The pricing structure for the new iPhone, all plan related pricing, and contracts, etc. are AT&T controlled. Insurance is always, when offered, offered through the carrier, not the manufacturer. Apple is now like every other manufacturer is to AT&T (Samsung, LG, HTC, Moto, Pantech, etc.). The only diff. is they are still allowed to sell their phones in their retail store and activate them there.
Yes you are right. I agree he is no Bill Gates. And yes the only interest is in our wallets. It just incenses me so much! Argggh! But I do understand making money and when most people don't care about insurance because we are getting a kick-a** phone it doesn't matter.

Thanks for letting me know that AT&T controls the insurance and such completely. I wasn't so sure. I thought Apple could provide something else or had a hand in it somehow. Apple is to AT&T what other manufacturers are to AT&T. Okay. I do understand that. I do understand businesss and money making.

So from now on I will carry my concealed weapons when I am carrying my iPhone. (Which is all the time) Now, if I could only figure out how Nico Bellic carries all of that ammunition then I'll be in businesss! I've got to look out for me. :cool: Oooh, maybe I can trick those Verizon guys into tagging along with me when i have my iPhone this way no one will mess with me. Helicopters and hard hatted construction worker-types walking behind me in an entorage way. I will be well-protected. Ah shoot I've got to transfer the number over after about a week anyway. Good while it lasted. I hope Nico is available for hire! (GTA IV reference - I love that game)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Just use your bloody credit card for purchasing your iPhone and use the insurance that comes with that, should your iPhone get lost.
Terrific idea. This is great. I apprecate all the suggestions.

I did read about coverage from different credit cards. Visa gives you 90 days I read somewhere while American Express give bettet than that. I'll do the research.

Thanks

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yes you are right. I agree he is no Bill Gates. And yes the only interest is in our wallets. It just incenses me so much! Argggh! But I do understand making money and when most people don't care about insurance because we are getting a kick-a** phone it doesn't matter.

Thanks for letting me know that AT&T controls the insurance and such completely. I wasn't so sure. I thought Apple could provide something else or had a hand in it somehow. Apple is to AT&T what other manufacturers are to AT&T. Okay. I do understand that. I do understand businesss and money making.

So from now on I will carry my concealed weapons when I am carrying my iPhone. (Which is all the time) Now, if I could only figure out how Nico Bellic carries all of that ammunition then I'll be in businesss! I've got to look out for me. :cool: Oooh, maybe I can trick those Verizon guys into tagging along with me when i have my iPhone this way no one will mess with me. Helicopters and hard hatted construction worker-types walking behind me in an entorage way. I will be well-protected. Ah shoot I've got to transfer the number over after about a week anyway. Good while it lasted. I hope Nico is available for hire! (GTA IV reference - I love that game)
always a good idea, iPhone or not :cool: