No iOS 5 GM?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Leo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Maybe I'll be wrong, but with the announcement of the iPhone 5 coming next Tuesday, I find it weird that there still hasn't been an update to either Beta 8 or even a GM Seed. You think Apple might find that Beta 7 is stable enough to be considered GM? What's the history of past betas in regards to phone announcements?

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

My guess is that we see it this Friday. Lets see..

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Probably a good guess - or next Tuesday. There is a lot of speculation that the final release will include a few surprise features not available on the Beta versions. Apple may want to withhold those until the last minute.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I hope it doesn't take this long ever again, it's just a bit frustrating.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The whole point of a beta is to test new features, so if they haven't already been implemented, I doubt they will be.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

So you're saying that if Apple didn't include it in the Beta they are somehow precluded from adding it at the last minute. I don't believe this would be anything new.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If you're not going to test the features, then why have a beta at all?

I think it's more likely new stuff will be added in 5.1, 5.2, etc.

8. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

Well I don't know about you guys but Beta 7 ain't ready for market! My Apple TV experience sure isn't up to Apple's standards so I doubt that they are truly considering Beta 7 as the GM. At least I hope.

9. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If memory serves, wasn't iOS 4 GM released the same day as the iPhone 4 announcement last year? Maybe they will do the same with iOS 5 GM, on Tuesday, as suggested by Lon.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No, I think ios 4 was released only a few days prior to the iPhone 4 release. Same with ios 3 and the 3GS. Can't remember how iOS 2 and the 3G were released in relation to each other.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I meant that I think the GM was released to developers the same day as the announcement, not the public release. I'm not sure though, it was so long ago.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

right, you did say that. my mistake.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It was the same day. I remember people talking about it as I was standing in line to get my first iPhone. The App Store went live that morning as well.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

There is a week to go, we could still see a GM seed in the next few days prior to the event. The latest beta is solid, IMO. I think it's GM worthy.

15. greasemuntney

greasemuntney Member
    Bronze

I am so ready to jump on the iOS 5 bandwagon. I just waiting for the release. Been thinking maybe a unJB iPhone 4 with all the features (almost) that I JB for could be nice.

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've been contemplating doing exactly the same thing, the GM has got to be released within the next two weeks, right? They wont and can't release another iPhone without iOS 5 being publicly available. It's got to be out within the next few days.

I love all of my tweaks and mods on my iPhone, but as I'm home all the time now I find myself not needing nearly half of the things I once used daily. I install packages onto my phone for convenience, the only thing I'll miss from a jailbreak these days is SBSettings (and iFile). How and why Apple haven't added this simplistic feature already will always baffle me.

I'll probably update to iOS 5 this weekend.

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Does Beta 7 include the Assistant function and the integration with Wolfram Alpha?

18. greasemuntney

greasemuntney Member
    Bronze

True iFile and SBSettings are the main things here too. But from what I seen we shouldn't need SBSettings in iOS 5.
    I am really looking forward to it. Now not being able to SSH into my phone will be different for me.

19. Locutus

Locutus Member
    Bronze

What about custom themes in iOS5?

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum