No iPhone for illegal alien, no way Jose

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
No iPhone for illegal alien

I don't know where to start this but... let start where it started

Last friday I had the visit of my neighboor and friend "Antonio*"
and he was "down" , usually he is joyefull and smilling.
last time I saw him like that I think it was for the world cup soccer when is team had lost.
So with my gringo spanish I tried " He que passo Amigo" that always get him smilling but not this time.
his only answer was " oh no good america no good"
then he started telling me his story
It was friday, he just finished work and got his pay-check and some money
that he had saved.
He wanted to get an iPhone ( actually 3 iPhones one for himself his wife and daughter "Angelika*") to surprise his wife and specialy his daughter as he told me "Angelika* is a very good student teachers like her very well" and so he went to the Apple store ( manhattan beach California)
and as he explained me "he asked for 3 iPhones
the Apple genius asked him to sign a form and show a valid U.S. id
so they can keep a copy in files at the Apple store ("what !")
( Antonio is just one of the millions of undocumented human being)
as he keep telling me the story I could feel his pain, sadness and tears almost showing in his eyes and in mine to
then he asked the Apple genius can I just have only one for my daughter this is real money as he showed me the 20's bills and he asked me why they don't want sell me an iPhone

And I feel so bad cause I'm the one who showed him my iPhone and all the feature and got him all excited.

has Apple become homeland security ?
soon you will be able to cross the border just by showing your iPhone ?!?

Hey AT&T if you support that policy why don't you cancel and refuse service to all the illegal alien ?!?
( EZ just check how many don't have SS# on files with you and cancel their service!)

Xmas is around the corner and all my loved one remove Apple from your list cause no shopping there this hollyday or any time soon.

by the way we are in America so this story has a Happy ending kind of
went to the (Santa Monica California ) Apple store (and now they require you to buy only by credit card** and show proof of id to avoid having people buying and selling the iPhone on ebay/exporting them.... or what ever)
and got 2 iPhones for my friend "Antonio*" ( yes only 2 he told me that he will never use one himself or have anything to do with Apple) but that his wife and daughter that was ok , I guess he will never tell them the story

*Antonio and *AngeliKa are not the real names
** Any lawyer around ready for the class action lawsuit forcing customer to buy with a credit card !

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wait so even though he tried to pay in cash they refused him without seeing a valid US id? Or was it because he was trying to buy 3 and they had established a limit at like 2 or something? Either way that is a bit ridiculous.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
He was going to buy 3 then they refused unless they see a valid ID
then he settled for for just one and they refused also
And he was going to pay cash

I think that's what happen when you give loose directive to your genius staff
I know why they have black shirt that's some Mussolini's Italy fashion**
sorry I'm still mad at them

tizzle

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Cricket Wireless is a good company. They don't require any ID. Just money. They also have one of the best unlimited plans out there. Anyone else in that situation should just buy unlocked phones from ebay.

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Wow, a lot of illogical comments so far. I'll try to stay away from talking about illegal immigration, and stick to the issue.

First of all, AT&T does not allow you to have a contract if you're not a citizen. When you start a new contract, they run your credit and check your social. Without a social, they'd end up footing the bill in case someone decided not to pay their bill. That equals higher prices for everyone else.

I work at an AT&T store in a large Latino market. I can't tell you how often people come in with other people's social security info. It's seriously frightening to think how many people's credit is getting ruined by fraud. It takes YEARS to get that stuff cleared up. AT&T investigates it's employees, but when everything is comission based, there's no real incentive for reps to report ID Fraud.

I remember processing a new line last month and telling a woman that she had a $750 deposit per line to get service. She then promptly told me to run it under her other ssn. I told her you can't have more than one ssn, and she cursed me out saying that since she paid for the ssn's she had every right to use them...

I think the genius was a racist and should be fired!
Dumb statement. See above.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I couldn't be more happier. This might be the first time ever that someone finally stood up for what's right. Now if we can just get everyone else to start acting like that we can get his ass shipped right back across the border. The rest of THEM, too. This country has lost its backbone. What a shame....

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wow, a lot of illogical comments so far. I'll try to stay away from talking about illegal immigration, and stick to the issue.

First of all, AT&T does not allow you to have a contract if you're not a citizen. When you start a new contract, they run your credit and check your social. Without a social, they'd end up footing the bill in case someone decided not to pay their bill. That equals higher prices for everyone else.
well, at least some of the past comments had been somewhat illogical, but at least they have not provided false information based on "i work for att"...

you do not have to be a citizen to get service buddy... you just need to have a green card or a legal status of residency in the country, wheter as a student, worker or under political or any other type of assylum... and not even that, you can be an illegal alien in this country and obtain a social security legally...

I work at an AT&T store in a large Latino market. I can't tell you how often people come in with other people's social security info. It's seriously frightening to think how many people's credit is getting ruined by fraud. It takes YEARS to get that stuff cleared up. AT&T investigates it's employees, but when everything is comission based, there's no real incentive for reps to report ID Fraud.

I remember processing a new line last month and telling a woman that she had a $750 deposit per line to get service. She then promptly told me to run it under her other ssn. I told her you can't have more than one ssn, and she cursed me out saying that since she paid for the ssn's she had every right to use them....

Dumb statement. See above.
no, just see YOUR comment...thats dumb enough

you people just need to stop beign ignorant... think outside the box and if you don't know any better, reserve your thoughts long enough for you to get some education and make comments on subjets you know nothing of...

last time i checked this was an iPhone forum and not an immigration status forum... if you know or have so much to say about immingration go to the appropiate forum or medium and let your hearts out...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Glad to hear the individual(s) were able to purchase the iPhone. Since this story has concluded (and the direction this thread is headed), this thread will now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.