No iPhone in smaller stores?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
So last week I spoke to the manager at the Cingular store in my neighborhood and he told me that the smaller stores would not be carrying the phone, only the main store in the mall and the Apple store (which happens to be in the same mall). Has anyone else heard that the small independent stores may not carry the phones?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Either way it would be the same price so no biggie. HOWEVER this may be so existing cingular customers just don't buy the phone, If its corp. then They can FORCE you to get a plan.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Either way it would be the same price so no biggie. HOWEVER this may be so existing cingular customers just don't buy the phone, If its corp. then They can FORCE you to get a plan.
I think they also want to control the whole sales and education process. For many, this will be their first smartphone. Having it limited to corporate owned stores guarantees a more educated staff. That will translate to less misinformation, better support and less returns.

-Chris

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
IM pretty sure if its a CINGULAR store it is corp. If it is a store that sells Cellphones Like Bestbuy or walmart they are not corp. May be wrong though.

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
The store I went to only sold Cingular phones. It was not the big store with with the several kiosks, it was very small. I think they have franchised some of these stores.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Cingular has a lot of independent agency stores. You can tell them from a corporate store by their product lineup. Most independent agency stores will offer other service like Nextel or Southern Link. A Cingular corporate store will only sell Cingular products.

I can't see them alienating these partners by not offering them the iPhone. I'm sure they won't carry the inventory that the corporate stores will carry, but I'm sure they have some independent agencies that outsell some corporate stores. Most of these stores can offer any service that you can get at a corporate store except in-store bill payments.

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
So does mean that they wont be in stores like Best Buy?
i think it's only a matter of time before the agent stores get them. Apple would be making a huge mistake by not letting other stores carry the phone. if they don't they could be setting themselves up for a big dissapointment. first off the phone is freakin expensive!

secondly, if they want to launch it initially at the corporate stores that's fine, but the more places they allow to sell it, the more hands on people will have with it. this will ultimately equate to much greater sales figures. look at the numbers a store like best buy does. and you're just going to shun them? to me, that's a big mistake.

they started selling macs in best buy and some other stores, so why not the iPhone? you can get an ipod from basically anywhere...how's that working out? i feel like Apple is being a little to ****y here and just thinks that people are without a doubt willing to pay this exorborant amount of money for the iPhone, and it will sell like hotcakes, and really, i'm not so sure that's the case. remember, we are a small community here, and while a lot of people are interested in it, how many people will ultimtaely buy it? well have to wait and see. just go on howardforums to see the amount of people who are on the nokia, se, or moto forums compared to Apple. that definitely says something........