No iPhone tethering for iPad

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
AT&T says yes to using your iPhone for tethering to a laptop but not for an iPad. That sucks. Something about the Bluetooth profile.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
iPhonewarrior said:
Jailbreak the iPhone and use MyWi - yes it's that simple ;)
MyWi is awesome! Works flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I think I'm in the minority here of not wanting to jailbreak my phone. I know I know... So many cool things, flexibility... I'm a big scaredy cat. Afraid Ill screw it up and the whole warranty thing being voided is a drawback for me, too. I don't need to tether anyway but if I ever jailbreak, myWi I see is the way to go. :)

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I think I'm in the minority here of not wanting to jailbreak my phone. I know I know... So many cool things, flexibility... I'm a big scaredy cat. Afraid Ill screw it up and the whole warranty thing being voided is a drawback for me, too. I don't need to tether anyway but if I ever jailbreak, myWi I see is the way to go. :)
LOL the longer you wait, however, the less reasons you'll need to jailbreak. They keep adding the things we've been missing officially. And voiding the warranty is questionable... you can always restore to the official firmware before sending in your device if you need to. And it's definitely not illegal. If it were, then Cydia would not have their own app store payable through Amazon. :) I think Amazon would definitely not have allowed that were it illegal. I personally only JB for themes and MyWi anymore. The rest I can deal without (or have been given the ability by Apple in an update).

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
The main problem with MyWi is that it drains the iPhone battery super fast. Just food for thought.

Embalmer

Apr 27, 2010
AT&T says yes to using your iPhone for tethering to a laptop but not for an iPad. That sucks. Something about the Bluetooth profile.
More likely - something about getting more $$ by charging for 2 data plans. It's all smoke and mirrors people. They're just greedy bastards.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Money aside. One $9.99 payment through PayPal or Amazon via Cydia for MyWi and all of your troubles are over.

MyWi turns your phone into a WiFi hotspot and uses the cellular connection of the iPhone to get onto the internet. It's brilliant.

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
MyWi rules, the most usefull app. I've found so far for both the iPhone and the Ipad.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I never jail broke but I think I'll do it for this feature. Very bored with phone after getting the iPad anyway.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I ended up with a rooted Evo and it works flawlessly for me to tether my ipad (wirelessly too). Also if i wanted to be legit I could pay Sprint for the feature and it would work too. That's one of the reasons I decided to take an iPhone break for a year.