no iPhone today, AT&T scewed me over

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so last week i preordered my iPhone 3gs for $399. then the other day AT&T announced price elegilibility for 3g users, so i was like yeah ill be able to get it for $199 now. i called 2 different AT&T representitives, and they both told me i would get it for that price. well i arrive today at 7:30 and am in the process of getting it and the kid tells me i wont get any money back because your not elegilibe, and so i ask whas wrong and so i call the customer service, talk to 3 supervisiors, talked to the store managaer and still wont budge , apparently the only reason i don't qualify for the 199 price is because i had to pay $99 on my bil, so i was off my 2-3 dollars a month, so i asked the supervisior if i could just pay the difference i missed because it still would be cheaper than 399, and still they wouldn't. pretty pissed off by AT&T i returned my phone and got my $400 bucks back. maybe in december ill buy it, then again maybe i wont. anyways i got to mess with the phone for 20 minutes, its nice, the hardware features are nice, camera is a lot nicer, but still not worth 399, hardly worth the 199, so **** You AT&T

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
As far as I know, you didn't miss the cut off. $99 even and higher get yearly upgrades, I read it somewhere.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
good for you returning the phone. the problem with a lot of this is people whine, but they still keep buying.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
good for you returning the phone. the problem with a lot of this is people whine, but they still keep buying.

i know i am proud of myself, i was thinking of just looking the other way, but since i paid over 600 on the original iPhone and lost out on money there, i wasn't going to do that again. im perfectly fine with waiting until december to get the better iPhone

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i know i am proud of myself, i was thinking of just looking the other way, but since i paid over 600 on the original iPhone and lost out on money there, i wasn't going to do that again. im perfectly fine with waiting until december to get the better iPhone
if you didn't want to pay that price why did you order it at that price?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
so last week i preordered my iPhone 3gs for $399. then the other day AT&T announced price elegilibility for 3g users, so i was like yeah ill be able to get it for $199 now. i called 2 different AT&T representitives, and they both told me i would get it for that price. well i arrive today at 7:30 and am in the process of getting it and the kid tells me i wont get any money back because your not elegilibe, and so i ask whas wrong and so i call the customer service, talk to 3 supervisiors, talked to the store managaer and still wont budge , apparently the only reason i don't qualify for the 199 price is because i had to pay $99 on my bil, so i was off my 2-3 dollars a month, so i asked the supervisior if i could just pay the difference i missed because it still would be cheaper than 399, and still they wouldn't. pretty pissed off by AT&T i returned my phone and got my $400 bucks back. maybe in december ill buy it, then again maybe i wont. anyways i got to mess with the phone for 20 minutes, its nice, the hardware features are nice, camera is a lot nicer, but still not worth 399, hardly worth the 199, so **** You AT&T

Here is my reason why the phone IS worth the $399.00 or $499.00 price:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/think-twice-before-upgrading-from-3g-to-3gs.41475/

Last edited by a moderator:

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
if you didn't want to pay that price why did you order it at that price?
That's actually a great question. No reason to be upset since you were perfectly OK ordering it and paying that much. So what? Not eligible? Get the phone and be happy with your purchase. Is $200 gonna break you? If so, you should not be using an iPhone anyway. I am OK paying the $499.00+tax for the upgrade. It's like a gift for me to be getting the $200 refund, although if I didn't qualify, I would still think it's worth it.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Another volunteer AT&T and Apple missionary. Those poor starving companies sure need your help, dimension. I'm glad someone is looking out for them. You should bake the CEOs some cookies and take them right over with some milk.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey man, drop the tone. We all know you're mad at AT&T. Not everyone here is. C'est la vie. No need to be rude to Rob.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
well hey i was cool paying the 399 price a week ago, but when they advertise something like a 199 price, and then have 2 people tell you yes you can get it, and then at the last second decide they want more money from you, im not going to give them anything because its pretty bogus, its the princible of the thing, money, i could careless about the money, i mean yeah $200 is nice, and makes me want the phone, but if they are going to play that game, im not going to play it. seriously just as sonic has said, go bake some cookies for the ceo's its not like they hurting, oh wait they had to downsize there package in there 80,000 bmw, cry me a river. they already get enough money from people, do they really need to rape us. like i said though, im fine with waiting though, but it still makes me ticked off that they do this. as a further note, ATT has been a great provider for me for years, and i hope to have great businesss with them in the future, but seriously ATT is kind of on a bad run with customers. i have known several people in the last year getting sorta screwed, and its sad to see a company that could make thousands of dollars from its consumers, yet wont make them happy, so in the end ATT may loose customers.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i am sorry for the tone. I did not mean to be mean or insulting. Please excuse my comments. I am just not mad at ATT for charging me an extra $200 had they done that to me. That sucks ejmonkey3 that you were denied the discount, but in the end, if you would have bought the phone for full price without knowing about the discount, I say go get one and enjoy.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
HEY everyday I say that brother.... LMAO... I hate GAYT&T with a passion them and their orange bill....

get T-Mobile so you can have best of both worlds... that is cheaper plans and unlocked iPhone....

I got tzones web for $5.99 - (edge but runs off their 3G network... that is why it's fast as GAYT&T 3G network...)

unlimited texting/MMS is only $15... no $30 data rip off plan...

:sick:i will be getting my iPhone 3Gs unlocked 32GB black.... today

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Another volunteer AT&T and Apple missionary. Those poor starving companies sure need your help, dimension. I'm glad someone is looking out for them. You should bake the CEOs some cookies and take them right over with some milk.
I am definitely not a volunteer missionary. The reason to me that this phone would have been worth the extra $200 if I didn't qualify for the discount is the following:
I was looking into buying a point and shoot camera for around $350.00. The camera would not be going everywhere with me, as the iPhone will. I know the iPhone video quality and photo quality will not match the quality of a p&S camera, but it will be everywhere I am, which makes the purchase worth the price to me. So, in effect, I paid $200 and not $350 for an upgraded camera that also does video.
I also understand why ATT originally took the stance they did with the 3G customers:
You paid for the 3G for a 2-year contract which is the period of time ATT planned to make the subsidy back from you, plus a profit. If they gave everyone with a 3G an upgrade subsidy again, they will lose money. But I guess the customers that pay $99 or more on a single line are making them the money back anyway, so they are being good to us, which they don't have to do. When I was on Tmobile, they didn't let me upgrade with a subsidized phone until my contract was over or close to it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
HEY everyday I say that brother.... LMAO... I hate GAYT&T with a passion them and their orange bill....
Haven't we been through this before, mate? I don't care at all if you guys bash AT&T around here, but if you could find some way to do it without using that term, that would be much appreciated.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
SADLY I will buy the phone as a new patient for $300... call them up and cancel them and pay the ETF... it will be worth it because I can't stand that company.

Now I'm hoping for the dev TEAM to release the jailbreak so I can get ultrasn0w on my 3Gs.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I am definitely not a volunteer missionary. The reason to me that this phone would have been worth the extra $200 if I didn't qualify for the discount is the following:
I was looking into buying a point and shoot camera for around $350.00. The camera would not be going everywhere with me, as the iPhone will. I know the iPhone video quality and photo quality will not match the quality of a p&S camera, but it will be everywhere I am, which makes the purchase worth the price to me. So, in effect, I paid $200 and not $350 for an upgraded camera that also does video.
I also understand why ATT originally took the stance they did with the 3G customers:
You paid for the 3G for a 2-year contract which is the period of time ATT planned to make the subsidy back from you, plus a profit. If they gave everyone with a 3G an upgrade subsidy again, they will lose money. But I guess the customers that pay $99 or more on a single line are making them the money back anyway, so they are being good to us, which they don't have to do. When I was on Tmobile, they didn't let me upgrade with a subsidized phone until my contract was over or close to it.

i think if you shell out 600 for original iPhone, and then another 200 for 3g, there should be some sort of discount for being a devoted electronic consumer, that's what i say. as for you, you did probably the right thing shelling out 200 for the video, because the new 3gs will do now almost everything that we wanted 2 years ago.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i think if you shell out 600 for original iPhone, and then another 200 for 3g, there should be some sort of discount for being a devoted electronic consumer, that's what i say. as for you, you did probably the right thing shelling out 200 for the video, because the new 3gs will do now almost everything that we wanted 2 years ago.
well, i got the 3G for the subsidized price last year and this year I was not expecting the 3GS to be subsidized at all for me. I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email saying that I would get a refund because I qualify for the upgrade subsidy. Like I said, I was shopping around for a nice point and shoot that also takes video, as I did not have a video camera, but did not want a video camera that takes stills, because I take video less often. I usually do not carry much more than my phone and keys and wallet around and even when on occasion I needed my old point and shoot, I sometimes still forgot it at home. So with the 3GS now taking video and 3MP stills, it makes sense for me to have paid the $200 more than the phone cost ($499) because I would have spent more than half of that getting a camera. But, the value of the camera was hard to justify because I know I would not have it with me all the time to use when the moment arose. I have my iPhone all the time with me, save for a few moments here and there. I now have the best of both worlds but with lesser quality, but I am willing to sacrifice for value.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
just wanted to let everyone know that i got a feeback email a few days later and i wrote a pretty good size letter and about a week later got an email and phone call from them and they are giving me the $199 price. yes! see people enough *****ing and complaining does really work. i just got my new phone today from Apple store, never going to AT&T store, and i love the new phone.