No Longer Able to View .RTF files?

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Old phone, 16GB 3G. 2.2.1 software. I'm able to view .RTF files that are emailed to me (which I need for my job).

New phone, 32GB 3G S. 3.0 software. I'm unable to view .RTF files. I get, "This domcument can't be viewed. The file format is invalid."

What the hell gives!? Anyone else need .RTF files and experiencing this problem? Anyone have an explanation? Thanks.

guest03

Bronze
Mar 30, 2009
no these files are viewable just fine on my 16gb 3gS. I would say contact Apple Support.. and make sure that the file can be opened on a computer.

Mail attachment support
Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

kim.betty

Aug 27, 2009
northants
Hi
I have the same issue with .rtf files with my 16 Gb phone. did u resolve your issue? I tried a apps that claimed all sorts but it didn't work (nothing new there then!)

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just tested it on my 3G. Mine works. Of course, I haven't installed 3.0.1. I have no need.

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
As long as the .rtf is an attachment, this is how I use them now.
Requires jailbreaking.

Save attachment to file system using AttachmentSaver - $2 through Cydia.

View attachment with ifile - $2 through Cydia. The free version doesn't allow compatibility with AttachmentSaver.

So for $4 I can save emailed attachments and view more formats than are natively supported by the iPhone.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
As long as the .rtf is an attachment, this is how I use them now.
Requires jailbreaking.
I'm not jailbroken and I can and have always been able to view RTF files on my iPhone. I'm afraid, sir, you've wasted your money.:D

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
I believe the issue we are both having is trying to open a hyperlink written inside of a .rtf file.

My clients send me documents using the "insert as hyperlink" in rich text format e-mails. These automatically generate a hyperlink.

The iPhone will not open this type of document. iFile will open the hyperlinked document once it is placed within the file structure of the phone. If this type of file is sent via an attachment to the email, then the combo of AttachmentSaver and iFile work great.

If the hyperlinked file is placed within the body of the email, then you need to either use iPhonebrowser or SSH to copy and paste the file.