No Mail Notification

Kilgore

Feb 13, 2008
I'm not sure if this is a jailbreak problem or not. My mail notification (usually set to vibrate) has always worked since 1.1.1. I upgraded to 1.1.3 and it worked. I did Nate's jailbreak and it still worked. I recently restored to 1.1.3 and used ziPhone jailbreak and now I don't get notification of new mail.

I have restored numerous times to plain 1.1.3 and the notification feature will work once or twice but it seems as soon as a mail message comes in when the phone is sleeping it doesn't notify. I've tried re-jailbreaking. Modifying the plist file to change the vibration. Changing the plist file usually works a couple times too and then nothing. I have no problem with sms notification or phone call notification, or calendar alarm notifications. Just mail doesn't notify of new messages.

During restore I have set my phone up as a new phone, I have tried restoring from backup. I have used other computers to restore. Nothing seems to hold so that I get mail notification.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
now that you mention it, i just realized my mail notification does not work either. i also used the ziPhone jailbreak method.

i'm going to try to delete my mail account, and add it again, and see if that works. i'll let you know.

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Mine is not notifying me as well. It worked fine with the first version of the ziPhone jailbreak but i re did it using the 2.3 version and since then i have not received any notifications of new mail.

Anyone figured out why yet?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Mine is not notifying me as well. It worked fine with the first version of the ziPhone jailbreak but i re did it using the 2.3 version and since then i have not received any notifications of new mail.

Anyone figured out why yet?
I got mine working now. I noticed that the autocheck in my mail settings got put back to manual instead of every 15 minutes. so you may wanna check that your settings didn't get reset.

I also deleted my gmail account, and set it up again. I'm not sure which one actually fixed it. you may just want to try both.

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
I got mine working now. I noticed that the autocheck in my mail settings got put back to manual instead of every 15 minutes. so you may wanna check that your settings didn't get reset.

I also deleted my gmail account, and set it up again. I'm not sure which one actually fixed it. you may just want to try both.
I've done both of those already and mine still doesn't notify my.

Ok.. correction. Figured out that the 'Use Push Mail' setting doesn't work.

Kilgore

Feb 13, 2008

You may want to give it a few tries. Mine will work once or twice and then not again. I have deleted and reinstalled my accounts a number of times and that hasn't fixed it.

Ok.. correction. Figured out that the 'Use Push Mail' setting doesn't work.
Where is this setting?

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Where is this setting?
Settings>Mail> Under Accounts select your account> Advanced... at the bottom of the screen i have a 'Use Push Mail' setting that I can swith on/off.

It is supposed to just push the mail through as you receive them rather than check manually or every so often. If you turn it on you will notice that the 'Auto Check' selection will go away on the mail settings page.

Kilgore

Feb 13, 2008
Settings>Mail> Under Accounts select your account> Advanced... at the bottom of the screen i have a 'Use Push Mail' setting that I can swith on/off.

It is supposed to just push the mail through as you receive them rather than check manually or every so often. If you turn it on you will notice that the 'Auto Check' selection will go away on the mail settings page.
Are you using yahoo mail by chance? I don't have that option on my gmail accounts.

Kilgore

Feb 13, 2008
So are there confirmed cases of other people having this problem? Or did everyone who thought they had the issue get it resolved?

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
So are there confirmed cases of other people having this problem? Or did everyone who thought they had the issue get it resolved?
My push mail option still doesn't work. And also the talkbar notifier stopped working for email after i used the 2.3 version of ziPhone. It worked fine with the original version i did first.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
mine hasn't worked properly either but from what I've read its usually a hit or miss problem and fix.

GIRTH628

Nov 15, 2007
Yahoo email notification

I think this is on topic.. I haven't been getting my mail unless I manually check for it it seems.. On Yahoo anyway. Seems like it wents kaputs sometime last week. I've deleted and re-setup once last night to no avail. Interesting.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I think this is on topic.. I haven't been getting my mail unless I manually check for it it seems.. On Yahoo anyway. Seems like it wents kaputs sometime last week. I've deleted and re-setup once last night to no avail. Interesting.

I am having the same problem with my yahoo account. I have reinstalled but that didn't help. I have had my iPhone since Sept with no problems with either my gmail or yahoo acount until now. I am running 1.1.1. Seems there are quite a few people having issues with yahoo.

GIRTH628

Nov 15, 2007
Seems to be back up

So I just truned push back on and it seems as if it's working again. I sent myself some test emails and got them immediately. Go Yahoo!

techlogik

Jul 13, 2008
I am running an Exchange push with Activesync on my iPhone 3G 2.0. It will not notify me of new email and change the icon. When I send a test message, then open the mail, it is sitting there. Just never get a sound or anything..