No MMS Messaging?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Even my old RAZR supported MMS, 3 years ago. I know many people don't use MMS or care for it and it's far more popular in Japan and Europe but come on Apple!

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
I woke up this morning with a news report about this in my email...

I honestly feel like crying! I can handle the high price of iPhone. I can handle the high cost of the data plan. I can handle camping out for days for it.

... But if it can't do what my really crappy phone that I already have does... What's the point?

I'm sure I'll end up still getting it.. just to see if I can live without MMS... and if I can't I have 30 days to return it...

I'm just soo sad this morning. Today's a very sad day... :(

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I think everyone should put this into perspective. Apple has been a computer company for all of it's existence. It's been a music player company for far less time. THIS is the FIRST product for Apple Inc. (no longer Apple Computer) in the very large and VERY competitive arena of mobile phones. The goal they set for themselves was extrodinarily high. "To create a completely groundbreaking mobile device." And it's taken two years to get to this point.

Even though they have set out to literally change the landscape of mobile electronics, they have had to make some critical decisions along the way. The product has to function flawlessly to be successful. If it crashes or locks up on people it would be the worlds greatest product flop. You'd see a very rapid sinking of a multi-billion dollar company, the likes of which could only be rivaled by companies like Enron and WorldCom.

I can almost guarantee you that they have been testing MMS along the way and made a decision that it wasn't yet stable and could not be included on initial launch. It's just too risky. But take heart! MMS is merely software! Today you wake up to find there is no MMS but another day along the road you are going to wake up to your iPhone downloading a nifty bit of software that is MMS on steroids. You'll be saying to yourself, "Now THAT was worth the wait!"

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I can almost guarantee you that they have been testing MMS along the way and made a decision that it wasn't yet stable and could not be included on initial launch. It's just too risky. But take heart! MMS is merely software! Today you wake up to find there is no MMS but another day along the road you are going to wake up to your iPhone downloading a nifty bit of software that is MMS on steroids. You'll be saying to yourself, "Now THAT was worth the wait!"
I really do hope this is this case. I would assume MMS to be standard on the iPhone, it is on virtually every other phone.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
Ok lets put this into perspective, MMS is really on its way out. The reason why MMS was created was because phones at that time did not do email. As technology grows you will slowly start to see all phones functioning like smart phones and Apple knows this. MMS was just transitional software. Put it this way, how many phones on the market receive email? even my old razor got email. So MMS is just old technology and Apple is just aiding its extinction. You will soon see great things to come from all phones. And if you look hard enough on the net you too will find the information.

comcipher

Jun 8, 2007
Even though they have set out to literally change the landscape of mobile electronics, they have had to make some critical decisions along the way. The product has to function flawlessly to be successful. If it crashes or locks up on people it would be the worlds greatest product flop. You'd see a very rapid sinking of a multi-billion dollar company, the likes of which could only be rivaled by companies like Enron and WorldCom.

True, MMS is only software, but the fact remains that this technololgy has been around for over 3 years. If Apple couldn't get a fairly simple and proven technology to work on this phone for release you have to wonder what else is going on.

Every day I keep reading reports of what this phone can and can't do, how expensive and exclusive the data plan will be, etc. and all I can think is "Do I still really want this phone?"

Everybody keeps making excuses for the numerous shortcomings of this phone, but where does it stop? Most of the people on these forums are going to buy this phone even if it hardly works and costs them $300 a month to own simply because it's Apple. I really would like to own and use this phone as demonstrated and advertised, but not if the technology is behind the times and costs far to much to own.

All I can do is hope that WWDC keynote monday has some good revelations. Perhaps some really cool new features (it's mostly just software anyway) and a $20 all you can eat data plan.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ok lets put this into perspective, MMS is really on its way out. The reason why MMS was created was because phones at that time did not do email. As technology grows you will slowly start to see all phones functioning like smart phones and Apple knows this. MMS was just transitional software. Put it this way, how many phones on the market receive email? even my old razor got email. So MMS is just old technology and Apple is just aiding its extinction. You will soon see great things to come from all phones. And if you look hard enough on the net you too will find the information.
All good points, but it will require more information to send pics and vids in email to other phones that don't have email configured. I know that most people don't have their email configured on their phone regardless of the capability. With MMS, it just sends it to the number and you don't need to know the email address of each number. You're right. It can be done, but it will be more trouble for right now until more and more people upgrade their phones and services.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Still thing that Apple didn't want anything Cingular/Att in the phone OS but the name in top left corner of the screen and the voicemail. Non of the Medianet crap and other stiuff.