No MMS Messaging?

MikeMirage

Jun 9, 2007
It is easy enough to email the picture/video to another phone so no mms wouldn't really be a problem

kb2003

Apr 2, 2007
I agree with people who are saying that MMS will ultimately be outdated, but I don't think it's fair for Apple/AT&T to say, essentially, "You can't send or receive photos and videos with your friends' phones unless they get rich html e-mail like our fancy iPhone does...So there." For such a media-focused communication device, it should facilitate the broadest range of communication types and protocols with whomever the user sees fit, even if the other person's device is ostensibly 'outdated'.

That said, I also doubt very much that this will dissuade the thousands of rabid, foamy-mouthed fanatics who will be camping out on the 28th, and I actually have never used MMS on my own phone. But as much as I love the design and UI of the iPhone, it irks me how many little details like this make it such an elitist and exclusive thing. I know exclusivity is something Apple is banking on, and I'm bothered by what that says about the company's motivations as well. I really hope they take a lesson from the iPod book and develop multiple versions of the iPhone, including less complex and more financially accessible models.

Jeez, sorry for all the rambling.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm definitely willing to cut Apple a lot of slack on this version on the iPhone. They are taking on a herculean task in bringing so much new technology to market all at once. If there are pieces left out I trust it is for a very very good reason. I know the iPhone is not going to be absolutely perfect this first round. That's a given.

All they have to do is wow me with the new stuff, give me the basic stuff, wrap it all in beautiful Apple design and not sink the whole ship in the process. Then I will be a happy camper (literally).

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Still thing that Apple didn't want anything Cingular/Att in the phone OS but the name in top left corner of the screen and the voicemail. Non of the Medianet crap and other stiuff.
MMS has nothing to do with Medianet or require additional AT&T software. It is just multimedia text messages.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Yeah, no MMS is a bit of a bummer. They did mention that you will be able to email pics and stuff, and I am hoping that will be easy on the iPhone, but this still sucks. What if I want to send a video to someone who has a phone but not an email address :D. Not that this would happen, but....:laugh2:

Any news on whether or not the iPhone's camera will be able to take videos? I forgot about this.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, no MMS is a bit of a bummer. They did mention that you will be able to email pics and stuff, and I am hoping that will be easy on the iPhone, but this still sucks. What if I want to send a video to someone who has a phone but not an email address :D. Not that this would happen, but....:laugh2:

Any news on whether or not the iPhone's camera will be able to take videos? I forgot about this.
You could do it, but you'd have that funky carrier email code to do it.:(

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
So many things missing :(

OK ....

I absolutely love Apple, the company's philosophy and the products they create and I own more than one including a desktop for my work (creative). But now let me say something. lol

1) I can see how the YouTube thing would be a cool "secret app" especially if it allows you to easily upload your own vids that you just took on the spot with your iPhone. That's a part of what makes this new paradigm of the information age so exciting and so democratized.

2) But I BARELY ever watch things on youtube because... dare I say... it seems like a waste of time and the videos are almost always stupid - unless you're watching user uploaded clips of your favorite TV show just for reminiscence sake. :-p

3) WHY IN THE WORLD would we not be able to have MMS, IM, and even GPS with Google Maps (triagulated with the cell signal - don't even need extra hardware inside the device!) - and other more useful things than a direct youTube connection? I'm really getting scared by hearing more and more ommissions (would it have killed them to have a SD card slot?) and more and more frivolous "cool-factor" items. I just hope they're not putting all their eggs in the "cool" basket and then along come a bunch of complaints that users can't even do basic things they were used to doing before on their POS phones! :-p

OK Soapbox off - I just had to get that out. I will now wait patiently for it to be released to see what's really up. ;)

PS: I know they'll probably add features down the line, but I'm just worried about this initial impression by people - it HAS to be a good one! And I think omitting such simple things is going to be a big glaring negative if there happen to be too many. :-\

PPS:
Did I just make up a word? lol "democratized"...

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
It is easy enough to email the picture/video to another phone so no mms wouldn't really be a problem
Mike,

I think I've heard/seen this to be possible, but can you tell us more specifically how? What kind of code do you need in the email? Aren't there websites where you put in a person's phone number and it sends an "email" (with the stuff you put in it) to their phone as an MMS? If so, that's not too bad, but I'm more PO'ed over not having IM... :( I can't believe that!

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
NOOOOO!
I love MMS! I use it almost every day! I can't live without it! True, email is better, but no one I know has email on their phone so I will be stuck just like with my video calling 3G phone; no one to take advantage of it! If the iPhone doesn't support MMS I will seriously not buy it.

Oh and by the way cobalt24, why on earth would you want a SD slot? Do they even make mini or micro SD cards bigger than 1GB? the iPhone has 8GB already! more than any card in the near future!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OK ....

I absolutely love Apple, the company's philosophy and the products they create and I own more than one including a desktop for my work (creative). But now let me say something. lol

1) I can see how the YouTube thing would be a cool "secret app" especially if it allows you to easily upload your own vids that you just took on the spot with your iPhone. That's a part of what makes this new paradigm of the information age so exciting and so democratized.

2) But I BARELY ever watch things on youtube because... dare I say... it seems like a waste of time and the videos are almost always stupid - unless you're watching user uploaded clips of your favorite TV show just for reminiscence sake. :-p

3) WHY IN THE WORLD would we not be able to have MMS, IM, and even GPS with Google Maps (triagulated with the cell signal - don't even need extra hardware inside the device!) - and other more useful things than a direct youTube connection? I'm really getting scared by hearing more and more ommissions (would it have killed them to have a SD card slot?) and more and more frivolous "cool-factor" items. I just hope they're not putting all their eggs in the "cool" basket and then along come a bunch of complaints that users can't even do basic things they were used to doing before on their POS phones! :-p

OK Soapbox off - I just had to get that out. I will now wait patiently for it to be released to see what's really up. ;)

PS: I know they'll probably add features down the line, but I'm just worried about this initial impression by people - it HAS to be a good one! And I think omitting such simple things is going to be a big glaring negative if there happen to be too many. :-\

PPS:
Did I just make up a word? lol "democratized"...
Here here, cobalt, and yes, I think you made up the word!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I agree with people who are saying that MMS will ultimately be outdated, but I don't think it's fair for Apple/AT&T to say, essentially, "You can't send or receive photos and videos with your friends' phones unless they get rich html e-mail like our fancy iPhone does...So there." For such a media-focused communication device, it should facilitate the broadest range of communication types and protocols with whomever the user sees fit, even if the other person's device is ostensibly 'outdated'.

That said, I also doubt very much that this will dissuade the thousands of rabid, foamy-mouthed fanatics who will be camping out on the 28th, and I actually have never used MMS on my own phone. But as much as I love the design and UI of the iPhone, it irks me how many little details like this make it such an elitist and exclusive thing. I know exclusivity is something Apple is banking on, and I'm bothered by what that says about the company's motivations as well. I really hope they take a lesson from the iPod book and develop multiple versions of the iPhone, including less complex and more financially accessible models.

Jeez, sorry for all the rambling.
There are a lot of assumptions here. How about we wait and see what the iPhone actually does? Apple does not add every feature out there to its products just because it exists. The iPod is proof of this. This does not make them elitist. Also, I'm not sure how the iPhone could become less complex.

I am really excited to see how all of us here use the iPhone and discover ways to work with this new technology to do the things we want. :)

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I text images to people often. I already have an iPod and I know I won't be using the internet on there often. I really wanted to get the iPhone, but what I'm going to be using it for the most is as a phone. Not having Mms Messaging is a deal breaker for me. I'll wait till the next iPhone comes out.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I text images to people often. I already have an iPod and I know I won't be using the internet on there often. I really wanted to get the iPhone, but what I'm going to be using it for the most is as a phone. Not having Mms Messaging is a deal breaker for me. I'll wait till the next iPhone comes out.
Welcome! :)

Why don't you wait until this iPhone comes out? It will be interesting to see what it really does.

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Welcome! :)

Why don't you wait until this iPhone comes out? It will be interesting to see what it really does.
I plan to check out this forum when it comes out. If something comes up that says I can text images, then I still plan to get it.