No MMS Messaging?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Oh and by the way cobalt24, why on earth would you want a SD slot? Do they even make mini or micro SD cards bigger than 1GB? the iPhone has 8GB already! more than any card in the near future!
Wrongo. They have 8 GB MicroSD cards now. And they keep upping the memory. Chances are that before iPhone 2.0 comes out a 16GB or even a 32GB MicroSD card will come out.

And why do we assume they'll choose SD? Why not Memory Stick or Compact Flash? Samsung recently announced a 64GB SSD.
http://www.Samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20070327_0000332936
Now there isn't a reason for the iPhone 2.0 to have any less than 60GB, WITHOUT a hard drive!

I don't think the iPhone will EVER have removable memory. It gives too much control to the consumer and that is absolutely never been Apple's modus operandi.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
ya it may be a pain to send the first email to someones phone. But have we all forgotten that once you send one you just store the what you inputed into your contacts? then that makes sending the next one easy! I mean all you really need is the number and the carrier. for example thephonenumber@cingular.com

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
It is amazing that people who are smartphone users and are looking to the iPhone as their next phone are so complaining about no support for MMS. First off, who is to say that you still cannot send a picture to another cell phone? Why not email it to their phone? Like if you send it to a Verizon Wireless user, 9876543210@vtext.com, it should show up, assuming that person (VZW user) has pix and txt messaging. For Cingular people, it would be 9876543210@cingularme.com (this might change soon), and for Sprint, it is 9876543210@messaging.sprintpcs.com (last I remember). The other smaller carriers probably have similar addresses. So, no MMS does not necessarily mean no ability to send pix to other cell phone users.

Now I am assuming this will work, as I have tried this method using straight email and no problems sending pix to my friends.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
My verizon Treo 650 doesn't have MMS except for pictures. Any video that I want to send has had to go through email for the last 2 years, and I can't get video messages either, have to go to the VZW web page to view them. To tell you the truth, I don't really miss it. I prefer email at this point, and it seems that the email on the iPhone will be A LOT easier to use than the psudeo emails on phones now

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It is amazing that people who are smartphone users and are looking to the iPhone as their next phone are so complaining about no support for MMS. First off, who is to say that you still cannot send a picture to another cell phone? Why not email it to their phone? Like if you send it to a Verizon Wireless user, 9876543210@vtext.com, it should show up, assuming that person (VZW user) has pix and txt messaging. For Cingular people, it would be 9876543210@cingularme.com (this might change soon), and for Sprint, it is 9876543210@messaging.sprintpcs.com (last I remember). The other smaller carriers probably have similar addresses. So, no MMS does not necessarily mean no ability to send pix to other cell phone users.

Now I am assuming this will work, as I have tried this method using straight email and no problems sending pix to my friends.
Well, I can send messages this way with no problem, but the pics don't go through like a MMS.

kb2003

Apr 2, 2007
There are a lot of assumptions here. How about we wait and see what the iPhone actually does? Apple does not add every feature out there to its products just because it exists. The iPod is proof of this. This does not make them elitist. Also, I'm not sure how the iPhone could become less complex.

I am really excited to see how all of us here use the iPhone and discover ways to work with this new technology to do the things we want. :)
Alright, maybe 'elitist' was a poor word choice, but that doesn't change how very exclusive they've made the iPhone based on how they've chosen to make it available to the public (i.e. only on AT&T, only with an expensive data plan, only at a very high retail price with no subsidy...

I'll concede that we really won't know anything until the 29th, and some of those conditions may change over time. That's really what I'm hoping for -- for Apple to make iPhones more accessible to more people -- lower priced models, unlockable phones that can be used on different networks, no mandatory data plans, etc... I understand that for their first foray into this marketplace they want to make as big a splash as possible and so they're introducing a world-class device, but I (and others, I'm sure) would feel better about the whole enterprise if I knew Apple were going to eventually market this product to an audience beyond the super-wealthy and priveleged.

WAY off topic, I know, but I just wanted to reply and clarify what i'd said earlier...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Thanks for the excellent reply! :)

I think the pricing is fair when you compare it to other smartphones, the price of a video iPod and phone combined, and the price of iPods when they first came out.

Additionally, it's pretty typical for tech products to lower the price while adding features over time so I expect the same with the iPhone. Just like with Apple's other product pricing they'll tweak it until they hit that sweet spot.

Still, how can the iPhone become less complex? Maybe they need to offer a more complex model for cheaper since part of what you are getting with the iPhone is that it is very easy.

Apple is very very good at poring over every detail of the products they make. They probably do this more now than they ever have. They usually have a very very good reason why they do/not implement a feature, such as MMS, IM, 3G, video, etc. We just don't always know what that reason is at first.