No more AT&T-subsidized iPhones from Apple stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple is no longer selling AT&T-subsidized iPhones through its brick-and-mortar or online stores.

At least one report claims the same is also true of Best Buy.

With AT&T Next, what happens if someone doesn't want to trade in their paid-off iPhone when purchasing a new one (for example, they're going to hand it down to a family member)? In that case, does the person have to pay full price for a new iPhone? What if two or even three years have gone by… is a trade-in is still required to get a new iPhone payable in installments?

2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I don't see the problem here. If the phone is paid off, you keep it, sell it, do whatever you want. If you want a new phone you can no longer pay $199 for a 2 year contract, your only options are to buy through the Next program (monthly installment choices) or pay full retail.

Remember, anyone can start a new Next plan by starting a payment schedule. No trade-in is required to start Next.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't see a problem here, either. I went with Next on my 6, even though I was eligible for full subsidy, since it's more cost-effective and I won't have to bother with selling on Craigslist now. If you go with full subsidy, you are paying full cost through your monthly bill over the two year period. If you don't upgrade after two years, you continue to pay the high monthly costs involved with subsidy. You don't with Next. You get a monthly discount right off the bat when you don't subsidize. If you want to give the phone to a family member, just pay it off and give it to them when you upgrade just as you would if you had subsidized.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I had been misinformed; until now, I was under the belief that getting a new handset via AT&T Next required the customer to surrender a previously purchased handset via the program, even if it was fully paid off.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Many of us on this forum have stated multiple times that you do not have to turn in your old full-cost or non-subsidized phones to AT&T when starting Next. I still have my 5s and so do a lot of others here who got the 6/6 Plus through Next. Obviously, you do have to turn Next phones in if they aren't paid off, but our 5s' were not Next phones. They were contract or full cost phones, so we got to keep them and could then sell them for a few hundred after getting a free 6/6 Plus (except tax) or keep them as a backup phone.

Verizon will take your subsidized 5s unless your two-year contract is complete, whereas AT&T let us keep them even if we were less than a year into the contract on our 5s. One of the reasons I stick with AT&T is because they are more flexible that Verizon and have a better upgrade options.

It is very clearly stated that you can keep your Next phone once it is paid off.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Edit: saw the answer after I posted this.

What if I don't want to get into Next and just pay the $200 upfront for the phone?
    Guess that's not an option now?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Subsidizing won't be an option anymore. It will be full cost or Next. Either way, you'll get a discount on your monthly bill for not subsidizing. It all works out. Next is actually a better plan, in my opinion. I got a 64 GB iPhone 6 with no upfront cost except tax and my bill only went up by $5 a month (with the hardware charge included). I got the plan where I can upgrade every single year. The $5 a month doesn't bother me at all because I don't have to pay anything except tax upfront, I don't have to deal with Craigslist sales with this plan and I can get a new phone every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Guess I need took more into it. How do you get a 64gb phone for only $5 more a month?
    Plans I see on their site jack the bill up $30+ a month per phone.
    Must be a good discount then :)

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I dropped unlimited texting (which was $20 per month) since the new plans include unlimited talk and text. It is $65 for unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data with rollover data if you don't subsidize. Prior to switching, I was paying $45 for 4 GB of data with no rollover data, $20 for unlimited messaging and $40 for 450 minutes of talk time ($105 total). Now I pay $65 for the bill and $38 for the hardware charge ($103 total). My total bill (with taxes and fees) is $99 after my FAN discount (the FAN discount doesn't cover the hardware installment portion). Prior to switching to Next, my total bill was $94 after the FAN discount.

If you are coming from an unlimited data plan and get a 128 GB 6 Plus, your plan would go up more than mine did. I just got a 64 GB iPhone 6, which has cheaper installments and my overall bill prior to switching was $15 more expensive than it would have been if I had unlimited.

#9 Europa, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  10. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

I'm with Verizon and curious if they will follow suite here. I would imagine so